Orchard Hills - Capella by Taylor Morrison

lovingit said:
The crowd was mainly in the 30s to 50s. Americanized asian, and caucasian. I didnt see many fcbs.
FCBs don't go to the previews.

They show up with LV suitcases full of cash on Grand Opening Day to show everyone they can skip the line with presidents in hand.

thatOSguy said:
lovingit said:
Agreed. But not as bad as PP which is 6 to7k MR annually. I guess TUSD is way less than IUSD.  We are also debating NP, but they are pushing hard for the people on the list. Resale from OH should be way higher than NP, dont you guys think? I just saw a house go pending in LA at 1.9 when they bought for 1.2 from 2 years ago. But then again, is OH the same as LA?

NP still looks and feels new despite being nearly 15 years old. It commands a surprising premium over WI and trades very close to NWP despite TUSD branding. My sincere counsel is unless you are getting a killer view in OH, target NP. If you haven't done so, spend an afternoon with a picnic basket there and you'll get a good sense of why.

is NP better than Woodbury?  How does the two compare?

If you guys had a choice of backing into the Orchard Trees, on Settler's Street vs an interior corner lot (no one next to you on one side), what is a better resale?  Corner lot is 4800 sq ft and is $6k less than the Orchard Trees lot.  Orchard Trees with a Terrace is 3888 sq ft. Strange that the smaller lot is more expensive because it has a "view" of the trees.

lovingit said:
If you guys had a choice of backing into the Orchard Trees, on Settler's Street vs an interior corner lot (no one next to you on one side), what is a better resale?  Corner lot is 4800 sq ft and is $6k less than the Orchard Trees lot.  Orchard Trees with a Terrace is 3888 sq ft. Strange that the smaller lot is more expensive because it has a "view" of the trees.

I would pick backing up to the Settler Since there's no neighbor behind you.  The yard is not very deep, with a neighbor's home behind your home, there will be lack of privacy and kind of claustrophobic.  The Settler's traffic is very minimal, so there shouldn't be any issue with noise.  Just think all the openness when you look out the 2nd floor window. 

Looks like you got in the early priority buyer's list and able to pick the home in the first phase.  That's so awesome, congratulations and have fun picking out your home. :)

lnc said:
lovingit said:

I would pick backing up to the Settler Since there's no neighbor behind you.  The yard is not very deep, with a neighbor's home behind your home, there will be lack of privacy and kind of claustrophobic.  The Settler's traffic is very minimal, so there shouldn't be any issue with noise.  Just think all the openness when you look out the 2nd floor window. 

Looks like you got in the early priority buyer's list and able to pick the home in the first phase.  That's so awesome, congratulations and have fun picking out your home. :)

Thanks for the reply Inc.  The corner lot (72), actually backs into another home's side (47) and is quite away from the home.  It also has a 10-12 foot side yard, which was kind of nice.  The other homes backing into Settler's feel slightly crammed, especially having a house look into the courtyard, but view from 2nd floor will be kind of nice.

This is tough, but I think I'd go for the one backing to Settlers.  You think that Lot 47 side is quite far away from Lot 72, but once everything is built it will feel very close I think.  The good thing though about Lot 72 side yard is that it doesn't have a house looking into it, and 47 probably wouldn't get much of a good view.  OK I changed my mind, go for 72 and use the $6k you saved towards landscaping that side yard.

thatOSguy said:
lovingit said:
Agreed. But not as bad as PP which is 6 to7k MR annually. I guess TUSD is way less than IUSD.  We are also debating NP, but they are pushing hard for the people on the list. Resale from OH should be way higher than NP, dont you guys think? I just saw a house go pending in LA at 1.9 when they bought for 1.2 from 2 years ago. But then again, is OH the same as LA?

NP still looks and feels new despite being nearly 15 years old. It commands a surprising premium over WI and trades very close to NWP despite TUSD branding. My sincere counsel is unless you are getting a killer view in OH, target NP. If you haven't done so, spend an afternoon with a picnic basket there and you'll get a good sense of why.

Yup, spent time at NP many times.  I know the feeling of the community, with the amenities.  This one is on a 7000 lot at the END of a cul de sac.  It feels very private being at the end.  You rarely can get that big of a lot size in NP.  However, the idea of passing up on an early phase in Capella when the prices are increasing $10-20k per phase is enticing.  But I am having a hard time coming to realization of 3800 sq ft lot sizes.  It's going to feel so crammed in there.

@lovingit:

You also have to consider the floorplan. I'm not exactly sure with NPK home you are looking at but if you can give me the model, I can compare.

And while you may not realize as much appreciation on a resale, you also have to build in the higher costs for new, higher MRs, higher HOA and all the additional expenditures for upgrades, window coverings and landscaping that you may not need to spend in resale.

thatOSguy said:
lovingit said:
thatOSguy said:
lovingit said:

Yup, spent time at NP many times.  I know the feeling of the community, with the amenities.  This one is on a 7000 lot at the END of a cul de sac.  It feels very private being at the end.  You rarely can get that big of a lot size in NP.  However, the idea of passing up on an early phase in Capella when the prices are increasing $10-20k per phase is enticing.  But I am having a hard time coming to realization of 3800 sq ft lot sizes.  It's going to feel so crammed in there.

Assuming you like the community and the amenities, it sounds like you prefer the NP setup to the OH home, but can't get over the thought of missing out on potential appreciation.

Is this your primary residence or an investment?

It will be primary.  I'd like to look at every home purchase as an investment though.  Hard to have best of both worlds.

lovingit said:
It will be primary.  I'd like to look at every home purchase as an investment though.  Hard to have best of both worlds.

I also always look at home purchase as investment and I think you make the right choice in purchasing Capella.  The price is very decent for the community and the relatively low MR is a plus.  I am sure the price will go up in the next phases. 

I would pick the interior location.  Settlers is the main road in the community so there would still be significant noise and dust.

Phase 1 or Phase 2.

There is a chance the OH could plummet in a few years like Quinterra did right?
But from talking to realtors, they make OH sound like its the most prestigious and best investment in Irvine right now for new homes.  Who knows?

NP is cheaper, don't have to live through the construction and is established.
But it will definitely get harder to get into OH in the future if Capella is the "cheapest" in the Groves.

What if this becomes Laguna Altura Part Deux?  Lovingit will be kicking himself to sleep if he bought in NP instead of Capellas going for an easy $2 mil

ps9 said:
What if this becomes Laguna Altura Part Deux?  Lovingit will be kicking himself to sleep if he bought in NP instead of Capellas going for an easy $2 mil

doubt it, still north of the 5. may as well be Yorba Linda. south of the 40fizzle is where its at :)

Back