Kogi Korean BBQ truck

[quote author="EvaLSeraphim" date=1250385768][quote author="EvaLSeraphim" date=1250326003]FYI: <a href="http://blogs.ocweekly.com/stickaforkinit/things-to-look-forward-to/kogi-bbq-truck-scheduled-to-do/">Kogi in Costa Mesa this weekend.</a></blockquote>

6 pm to midnight at the Holiday Inn, Costa Mesa.</blockquote>

Couldn't resist knowing it was so close again....and had to stop on our way home.

Totally different experience from last week...this time was set up in the back of the Holiday Inn parking lot (which was spotless clean), and the good folks at Holiday Inn were nice enough to set up several big tables and a cash bar outside behind the truck. Almost like a real resturant. And the Kogi guys had a projector hooked up and were beaming "The Departed" up onto the wall of the hotel --- to help pass the time in line. And oh what a line -- two hours from start to food in hand. But one of those great LA experiences you must do, and now my wife and daughter can say they stood in line for Kogi, too. I think they were jealous of me last last week....

[quote author="annuitypro" date=1250410269]Just go Baja Fresh on Alton Parkway. They have the Korean/Mexican Tacos and Burritos on the menu....Catering truck? Yuck!</blockquote>

Dude, you got SIX posts. Don't hate on something you don't know anything about just yet okay?

[quote author="GraceOMalley" date=1250331855]The Kogi truck will be in costa mesa tomorrow night if anyone is interested. However I will be trying to knock off their tacos tomorrow night so I will not be in line.</blockquote>

Which was good news for us. Your knock-offs were simply devine. :)

[quote author="EvaLSeraphim" date=1250466911][quote author="GraceOMalley" date=1250331855]The Kogi truck will be in costa mesa tomorrow night if anyone is interested. However I will be trying to knock off their tacos tomorrow night so I will not be in line.</blockquote>

Which was good news for us. Your knock-offs were simply devine. :)</blockquote>
Yes, they were very yummy!!!

[quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1250475443][quote author="EvaLSeraphim" date=1250466911][quote author="GraceOMalley" date=1250331855]The Kogi truck will be in costa mesa tomorrow night if anyone is interested. However I will be trying to knock off their tacos tomorrow night so I will not be in line.</blockquote>

Which was good news for us. Your knock-offs were simply devine. :)</blockquote>
Yes, they were very yummy!!!</blockquote>

I just used the recipe No_Vas posted with a couple of small changes. I switched the white sugar for brown sugar, and added a couple of tablespoons of vinegar to help brak down the meat a little.

Thanks for the compliment, but honestly anyone can make them. What I didnt do so well was have the meat nicely chopped up or the onions and cilantro chopped for the first few batches. Hard to keep on top of that with so many people!

[quote author="GraceOMalley" date=1250331855]The Kogi truck will be in costa mesa tomorrow night if anyone is interested. However I will be trying to knock off their tacos tomorrow night so I will not be in line.</blockquote>

You did a great job with the knock offs. I was too full to even make a late-night run to Costa Mesa to get more taco goodness.

Lost and Found containers. Please come by to pick them up and I know who you are. You left with your kids and/ or husband but forgot your Tupperware and avocados.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1250493242]Lost and Found containers. Please come by to pick them up and I know who you are. You left with your kids and/ or husband but forgot your Tupperware and avocados.</blockquote>

I believe BK is incorrect, there are 2 salad bowls, one ceramic and 1 plastic and a salad dressing bottle.

[quote author="caycifish" date=1250487905][quote author="GraceOMalley" date=1250331855]The Kogi truck will be in costa mesa tomorrow night if anyone is interested. However I will be trying to knock off their tacos tomorrow night so I will not be in line.</blockquote>

You did a great job with the knock offs. I was too full to even make a late-night run to Costa Mesa to get more taco goodness.</blockquote>

I second that - you guys rocked our Saturday.

[quote author="CK" date=1250501829]The only thing better than the food were the hosts...</blockquote>

Now I know why your wife and the entire San Gabriel Valley love you.

Grace, this one is very easy to make too and is BBQ friendly.

Bulgogi (Korean Barbecued Beef)

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)

3 tablespoons soy sauce

1 tablespoon sesame oil

1 tablespoon sesame seeds

1 clove garlic, minced

1 teaspoon white sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/4 teaspoon monosodium glutamate (MSG) (optional)

1 pound beef top sirloin, thinly sliced

1 carrot, julienned

1 green onion, chopped

1/2 yellow onion, chopped

DIRECTIONS

1.In a large resealable plastic bag, combine soy sauce, sesame oil, sesame seeds, garlic, sugar, salt, black pepper, and MSG. Place beef, carrots, and onions in the bag; seal, and shake to coat the vegetables and beef with the sauce. Refrigerate for at least 2 1/2 hours. I prefer to marinate mine overnight.

2.Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat. Remove meat and vegetables from marinade, and place on a large sheet of aluminum foil; seal. Discard marinade.

3.Place on grill, and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, or to desired doneness.

It is so cool to see people get together over some good Korean BBQ Kalbi. These sort of BBQ get togethers ONLY happens in IRVINE.

Thanks for the recipe, Panda. I would like to make a suggestion that you might want to put "Accent" for the MSG since that's a brand known commercially. (Those who don't cook a lot might not know how to find it.) Hope this helps. I have Bulgogi / Kalbi on my meal-plan for this coming week. I am going to try yours & No_Vas's recipes. I am looking forward to it.

Edit: Do you wrap yours up in lettuce leaves?

Discovering Korean Cuisine: Recipes from the Best Korean Restaurants in Los Angeles by Allisa Park

Socal, this recipe book is Panda's bible when comes to authentic Korean cooking. People all know that the Korean food in Los Angeles tastes better than it does in Seoul. These recipes for Kalbi and Bulgogi are from the best of the best Korean restaurants in LA.

Edit: Yup. you wrap some rice, kalbi, and some red pepper sauce on the lettuce leaves and eat it. MMMMmmmm, Panda is getting hungry now :)

kogi in irvine this saturday... from 6pm-9pm

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Irvine&state=CA&address=17221+Von+Karman+Ave&zipcode=92614-6201&country=US&latitude=33.691052&longitude;=-117.840739&geocode=ADDRESS

<a href="http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Irvine&state=CA&address=17221+Von+Karman+Ave&zipcode=92614-6201&country=US&latitude=33.691052&longitude;=-117.840739&geocode=ADDRESS">Linkified.</a>

[quote author="glamis_lvr" date=1253278148]kogi in irvine this saturday... from 6pm-9pm

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Irvine&state=CA&address=17221+Von+Karman+Ave&zipcode=92614-6201&country=US&latitude=33.691052&longitude;=-117.840739&geocode=ADDRESS</blockquote>
Nice... this is just south of Sam's Club and The District.

But be careful, it's near Kettering and BK may be sneaking around testing his heat wave gun.

[quote author="annuitypro" date=1250410269]Just go Baja Fresh on Alton Parkway. They have the Korean/Mexican Tacos and Burritos on the menu....Catering truck? Yuck!</blockquote>
Actually... I tried this last weekend because of you.

And they were really good. Thanks for the tip... they call them Gogi Tacos... hehe... and you can get spicy chicken or korean BBQ-style steak. I think it's only at the Irvine location right now:

<a href="http://fastfood.freedomblogging.com/2009/07/17/baja-fresh-considers-retracting-kogi-taco-name/28723/">http://fastfood.freedomblogging.com/2009/07/17/baja-fresh-considers-retracting-kogi-taco-name/28723/</a>

Back