Kogi Korean BBQ truck

GraceOMalley_IHB

I heard about this on the radio today, this guy Roy Choi quit his job as a chef at Rock Sugar in LA to start a Korean BBQ taco truck. With a soft opening on Nov 20 2008, there are now 3 trucks and their locations are announced via twitter.

On the radio today there were 400 people in line and waiting for up to 2 hours for a 2.00 taco. BK and I might have to check this out because it sounds pretty awesome.

<a href="http://kogibbq.com/">KogiBBQ.com</a>

<a href="http://www.latimes.com/theguide/restaurants/la-fo-kogi11-2009feb11,0,4560062.story">LA Times - Korean BBQ brought to you by Twitter</a>

Is all the food spicy? (I don't know if Korean food normally is but on the first link, everything shown is spicy.) It sounds good. Let us know how it goes!

A friend told me about this way back at Super Bowl party (~Feb 1) --- and I have been trying to track it down ever since, and have not yet been able to. Every time I go to LA its never convienent. One time a friend called me on her cell from Santa Monica and is like "dude, I'm at a stoplight right next to the Koji truck!" --- and I'm like "run him off the road and get me some!". That's how bad I want to try it.

Hey CK, I thought you were done for the weekend? Korean BBQ, yum, we need one of those around here. See what Korean friends will do to you. All my white friends say it's the crappiest meat, but they're the first ones to join when it's on the menu around here.

[quote author="tmare" date=1249732251]Hey CK, I thought you were done for the weekend? Korean BBQ, yum, we need one of those around here. See what Korean friends will do to you. All my white friends say it's the crappiest meat, but they're the first ones to join when it's on the menu around here.</blockquote>

I buy the pre-marinated Kalbi all the time from Zion, and grill it in the backyard. My next door neighbor threatened to "kick down the fence and come after it because it smells so damn good" one time. The irony was it was the non-Korean next door neighbor (the house on the other side are Korean) who said it. And of course its always better with a few shots of soju. There is another IHBer (who will go unnamed) that happened to stop by my house one evening when we had some Korean friends over. He fell right straight into a soju trap!

[quote author="tmare" date=1249732251]Hey CK, I thought you were done for the weekend? Korean BBQ, yum, we need one of those around here. See what Korean friends will do to you. All my white friends say it's the crappiest meat, but they're the first ones to join when it's on the menu around here.</blockquote>

Its not the crappiest meat if you know what youre buying. Ive had some thats lean and tender and smells incredible. We cook it often here as well and Im fairly sure that neighbors come by just because it smells so good!

[quote author="CK" date=1249733268][quote author="tmare" date=1249732251]Hey CK, I thought you were done for the weekend? Korean BBQ, yum, we need one of those around here. See what Korean friends will do to you. All my white friends say it's the crappiest meat, but they're the first ones to join when it's on the menu around here.</blockquote>

I buy the pre-marinated Kalbi all the time from Zion, and grill it in the backyard. My next door neighbor threatened to "kick down the fence and come after it because it smells so damn good" one time. The irony was it was the non-Korean next door neighbor (the house on the other side are Korean) who said it. And of course its always better with a few shots of soju. There is another IHBer (who will go unnamed) that happened to stop by my house one evening when we had some Korean friends over. He fell right straight into a soju trap!</blockquote>
So when am I invited for some Korean BBQ? I'll bring the beers!!!

[quote author="GraceOMalley" date=1249736014][quote author="tmare" date=1249732251]Hey CK, I thought you were done for the weekend? Korean BBQ, yum, we need one of those around here. See what Korean friends will do to you. All my white friends say it's the crappiest meat, but they're the first ones to join when it's on the menu around here.</blockquote>

Its not the crappiest meat if you know what youre buying. Ive had some thats lean and tender and smells incredible. We cook it often here as well and Im fairly sure that neighbors come by just because it smells so good!</blockquote>
So that's what smelled so good the other day when I was driving home on the 5 Freeway Southbound by the 17th Street exit.

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1249731195]Is all the food spicy? (I don't know if Korean food normally is but on the first link, everything shown is spicy.) It sounds good. Let us know how it goes!</blockquote>
Most korean food is not spicy, although some of it is very spicy. If you've never had some Korean BBQ, you should definitely try it....it's yummy!

The Kogi truck is pretty good, but the hype is out of control. It isn't worth going out of your way of standing in a long line. The short rib and pork are my recommendations.

Supposedly, they will be licensed to serve food in Orange County soon so it will be more convenient for those living behind the orange curtain.

[quote author="CK" date=1249733268][quote author="tmare" date=1249732251]Hey CK, I thought you were done for the weekend? Korean BBQ, yum, we need one of those around here. See what Korean friends will do to you. All my white friends say it's the crappiest meat, but they're the first ones to join when it's on the menu around here.</blockquote>

I buy the pre-marinated Kalbi all the time from Zion, and grill it in the backyard. My next door neighbor threatened to "kick down the fence and come after it because it smells so damn good" one time. The irony was it was the non-Korean next door neighbor (the house on the other side are Korean) who said it. And of course its always better with a few shots of soju. There is another IHBer (who will go unnamed) that happened to stop by my house one evening when we had some Korean friends over. He fell right straight into a soju trap!</blockquote>

Yes, we've had it cooking many times over the BBQ (with a real Korean :) manning the Q, he says that it's tradition that the person manning the Q always eats while he's BBQ'ing). Our neighbors are probably a little further away than those in Irvine, so the smell isn't quite so alluring.

We check the truck schedule and the truck kept going to different places and often at some odd time like 9pm-1am. However I will bring along Alka Seltzer when the truck comes to Orange this Sunday night.

[quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1249736819][quote author="GraceOMalley" date=1249736014][quote author="tmare" date=1249732251]Hey CK, I thought you were done for the weekend? Korean BBQ, yum, we need one of those around here. See what Korean friends will do to you. All my white friends say it's the crappiest meat, but they're the first ones to join when it's on the menu around here.</blockquote>

Its not the crappiest meat if you know what youre buying. Ive had some thats lean and tender and smells incredible. We cook it often here as well and Im fairly sure that neighbors come by just because it smells so good!</blockquote>
So that's what smelled so good the other day when I was driving home on the 5 Freeway Southbound by the 17th Street exit.</blockquote>

Are you willing to risk your life and come on over for some KBBQ?

When you are single and no woman currently in your life you can smell home cooking from a long distance.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1249740245]We check the truck schedule and the truck kept going to different places and often at some odd time like 9pm-1am. However I will bring along Alka Seltzer when the truck comes to Orange this Sunday night.</blockquote>

9pm-1am is not an odd time. Intoxicated customers are a crucial demographic for street food vendors.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1249740513][quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1249736819][quote author="GraceOMalley" date=1249736014][quote author="tmare" date=1249732251]Hey CK, I thought you were done for the weekend? Korean BBQ, yum, we need one of those around here. See what Korean friends will do to you. All my white friends say it's the crappiest meat, but they're the first ones to join when it's on the menu around here.</blockquote>

So that's what smelled so good the other day when I was driving home on the 5 Freeway Southbound by the 17th Street exit.</blockquote>

Are you willing to risk your life and come on over for some KBBQ?

<strong>

When you are single and no woman currently in your life you can smell home cooking from a long distance</strong>.</blockquote>
Haha...plus add to that mom never really cooked at home because she was busy working so I have been deprived (even most of my exs didnt know how to cook well). :(

Yeah, I have a bullet proof kevlar vest along with a racing helmet in the trunk...so I'm ready to go. How about a KBBQ IHB gathering at your place BK? Just like with CK, I'll bring the cerveza.

[quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1249736819][quote author="GraceOMalley" date=1249736014][quote author="tmare" date=1249732251]Hey CK, I thought you were done for the weekend? Korean BBQ, yum, we need one of those around here. See what Korean friends will do to you. All my white friends say it's the crappiest meat, but they're the first ones to join when it's on the menu around here.</blockquote>

No my friend, that was the smell of despair in the ghetto.

Kogi tonight in Orange from 7pm to midnight at 1736 E. Meats. I assume we will meet up there and then travel back to the No_Vas' for beer and tacos? ;)

For more on Kogi, check out <a href="http://www.ocweekly.com/search/?keywords=kogi&x=&y=">Edwin's write-ups at the OC Weekly</a>.

[quote author="EvaLSeraphim" date=1249780629]Kogi tonight in Orange from 7pm to midnight at 1736 E. Meats. I assume we will meet up there and then travel back to the No_Vas' for beer and tacos? ;)

For more on Kogi, check out <a href="http://www.ocweekly.com/search/?keywords=kogi&x=&y=">Edwin's write-ups at the OC Weekly</a>.</blockquote>

We plan on heading down there. I can't wait to try it! I have been reading about it for months!

I've had it a few times. It's pretty good. The burritos are the best value, though my coworker prefers the tacos because he likes the corn tortilla with the meat. The sliders are just like the tacos except on toasted mini-buns(like those King's Hawaiian rolls).

It's good, but I wouldn't waited in a super long line for it. Luckily, they swing by my workplace up here every other week or so and often bring 2 trucks so the wait isn't that bad. I'd imagine their first few trips to OC will be pretty crowded.

[quote author="EvaLSeraphim" date=1249780629]Kogi tonight in Orange from 7pm to midnight at 1736 E. Meats. I assume we will meet up there and then travel back to the No_Vas' for beer and tacos? ;)

For more on Kogi, check out <a href="http://www.ocweekly.com/search/?keywords=kogi&x=&y=">Edwin's write-ups at the OC Weekly</a>.</blockquote>
Oh great and I'm out in Vegas for the weekend. :(

Back