ICE or EV?

Which car(s) will you be buying next?

• ICE ICE Baby (morekaos dinosaur option)

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • EV forEVa (unicorns for all)

Votes: 21 60.0%
  • PHEV (I still have range anxiety)

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Hybrid (can't plug in yet)

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Alternative fuel (Hydrogen, vegetable oil, etc)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
If you’re doing a road trip, rent an ICE. :)
I've used the Tesla on many road trips, bay area, mammoth, vegas, Utah and will continue to do so in the future.
SC is great, kids need a restroom break or lunch anyways, the times we went with other families with ICE, travel time is pretty much the same.
AP (not FSD) is great on long stretches of road, definitely less tired than ever before, so much superior than renting an ICE, or drive an antiquated vehicle like a '89 bronco, :)o_O:cautious::cool:

As with getting older, don't really care to have the vehicle in pristine condition, wash it every week, or not use it because of it gaining miles. Car will get door dings at your local market anyways even if you park far away, sometimes you can't help it (jam packed costco during the holidays), and tons of random crap from the kiddos on the inside too

Remember when @morekaos posted that misleading video about the Lightning towing range which the author apologized for?

Hardly…it’s a piece of $100,000 junk…like a Vegas hooker…looks good on your arm, costs a ton but just can’t deliver over the long haul….This babe just can’t tow…or do anything a Pick-up is supposed to do…Let’s ask the pros (Not DM for you)..

Motortrend..

Tow No! The Ford F-150 Lightning Struggled in Our Towing Test

We towed 3100-, 5300-, and 7200-pound travel trailers with Ford’s electric truck and didn’t get very far from home.

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/ford-f150-lightning-electric-truck-towing-test/

Ford Lightning Towing Test Shows Serious Problems

It didn’t do well going up against a gas-burning GMC Sierra…

https://www.motorious.com/articles/features-3/ford-lightning-towing-test/

Ford F-150 Lightning Fails Towing Test

The latest failure on the electric vehicle front comes from the Ford F-150 Lightning. The F-150 Lightning is a battery electric full-size light duty truck which began production in April of 2022. According to Ford, the truck has an estimated 240 mile range and can tow up to 10,000 pounds with its 775 pound-feet of electric torque. However, Motortrend has discovered that the Lightning is not necessarily living up to these bold claims as one might expect.

https://theamericantribune.com/ford-f-150-lightning-fails-towing-test/

Ford's Electric F150 Lightning has some BIG PROBLEMS | Should you cancel your preorder?

…And that YouTube who “apologized”? He apologized that his YouTube was used on a few “right wing” web sites but admits the basis of the F-150 being towing junk and not practical for pickup truck users was true…Lets let him tell you himself…😆😆😆

Like I said…expensive junk..doomed!

I've used the Tesla on many road trips, bay area, mammoth, vegas, Utah and will continue to do so in the future.
SC is great, kids need a restroom break or lunch anyways, the times we went with other families with ICE, travel time is pretty much the same.
AP (not FSD) is great on long stretches of road, definitely less tired than ever before, so much superior than renting an ICE, or drive an antiquated vehicle like a '89 bronco, :)o_O:cautious::cool:

As with getting older, don't really care to have the vehicle in pristine condition, wash it every week, or not use it because of it gaining miles. Car will get door dings at your local market anyways even if you park far away, sometimes you can't help it (jam packed costco during the holidays), and tons of random crap from the kiddos on the inside too
AW - I think you and I are the only people on this board that have taken a Tesla on a long road trip as I completely concur. The comfort of AP (no FSD on mine) cannot be overstated. Others say competing ACC systems perform just as well but I'm suspecting only very high end models. I can't ever take an ICE on a long drive again except...

The one place I won't take it is the snow because of the M3P lowered suspension, and I felt the grind as I just returned from 3 days carving up Tahoe powder driving our 2020 CRV with Michelin X-Ice snow tires - the ultimate snow vehicle that flies through chain controls but it's so tiring driving an ICE for 4 hrs+. The powder was worth it!

While Tesla is probably the best EV for road tripping, it's still no where near as convenient as ICE. The supercharger is fast and plentiful in the West but hasn't caught up with gas stations. Tesla also limits you to 80% charge at busy locations which is really annoying when you're to minimize stopping. I also dislike the built in nav/algorithm that doesn't allow you to max out your range--keeps suggesting multiple charge stops instead of just one. What's the point of paying for a long range model if you don't get to use it.

While Tesla is probably the best EV for road tripping, it's still no where near as convenient as ICE. The supercharger is fast and plentiful in the West but hasn't caught up with gas stations. Tesla also limits you to 80% charge at busy locations which is really annoying when you're to minimize stopping. I also dislike the built in nav/algorithm that doesn't allow you to max out your range--keeps suggesting multiple charge stops instead of just one. What's the point of paying for a long range model if you don't get to use it.
Not sure what you mean by Tesla limit 80% charging at their superchargers. By default, it’s 80% but you can overwrite it to 100% 😎

At
Not sure what you mean by Tesla limit 80% charging at their superchargers. By default, it’s 80% but you can overwrite it to 100% 😎
Wish I knew that--I'm a supercharger newbie. :) How about the nav/algorithm for LR models? Any workarounds?

I must say, I've very impressed with the Taycan EV that I bought. So much power at the tap of the gas and superb build quality. I have a heavy foot so I'm only getting 2.4 miles per KW. haha

I rented a Model Y and a Polestar 2. My wife got sick of the party trick of flooring it real quick. I can't imagine the utility of having an even faster car in the form of the Taycan.

Having said that, the Taycan wagon is one of the most beautiful cars I have ever seen.

I rented a Model Y and a Polestar 2. My wife got sick of the party trick of flooring it real quick. I can't imagine the utility of having an even faster car in the form of the Taycan.

Having said that, the Taycan wagon is one of the most beautiful cars I have ever seen.

The insta-torque is great when needed to pass cars or merge onto the freeway, I'm not racing cars from a stop light. haha

I actually have an order for Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (the wagon) as I love the way it looks too and has more usable trunk space. I won't have that car until August/September. So nice not to have to fill up the Macan anymore. I've put 750 miles on the car in the past 2 weeks so I've saved almost $200 in gas.

At these price levels I think the dollars saved on gas are a non-factor compared to saving your valuable time in terms of filling up at the gas station.

At these price levels I think the dollars saved on gas are a non-factor compared to saving your valuable time in terms of filling up at the gas station.
My wife drives the Model 3 and I drive Prius Prime. It feels so good not having to fill up gas. I still need to do it every 3-4 months on my Prius Prime just to flush the tank, but that's not a problem.

EVs do have issues that ICE cars don't:

What would help with this is more modular battery packs that you can remove from the vehicles in case of damage without having to "total" the entire car. Also advancements in battery recycling technology can help with hole in battery usage as waste/disposal is still an issue.

EVs do have issues that ICE cars don't:

What would help with this is more modular battery packs that you can remove from the vehicles in case of damage without having to "total" the entire car. Also advancements in battery recycling technology can help with hole in battery usage as waste/disposal is still an issue.
Good info, but true in many forms. I wonder how much is red herring smearing EVs? Most of the cars pictured would likely have deployed multiple airbags and many ICE cars get totalled when that happens.

Is it scratch or is it a bad enough accident that battery pack located fairly centrally and past the depth of crumple zones is damaged.

Ford is about to serve up huge penalties for their foolish decisions. Shareholders and workers will suffer real consequences. Hope they can live off unicorns and rainbows.

Ford is about to break out big EV losses for the first time​

• Ford will begin reporting its financial results by business unit, instead of by region, and will release revised results that will show how the new business units would have performed in 2021 and 2022.
  • The changes amount to the most detailed look yet by any legacy automaker into the finances behind the EV business.
  • Wall Street is taking a wait-and-see approach to the changes, but is expecting significant EV unit losses.

They would be profitable if the didn’t have a $2 billion loss from an albatross around their neck. ICE is exceptionally profitable, and will be into the future. Shareholders should have their heads!!

…and another overpriced EV toy truck that not only can’t do what a pickup is supposed to do but also won’t run when it gets cold…money well spent…and subsidized…Sucker born every day!!(not DM)

A Rivian buyer got his dream car after a 3-year wait. Days later, the car was dead and he faced a $2,100 bill.
· Rivian's customer service disappointed one early adopter during a time of need.
· Rivian has been struggling with a touch-and-go relationship with its early boosters.
· "I'm just not the right person to be an early adopter," the Rivian owner said.
Merrill drove his R1S to his family's shared property in the mountains. He wanted to put his rugged electric SUV to the test, so he drove it on the unplowed, snow-covered road into the property.At first, the R1S sliced through the snow. Then, a large snowdrift stymied the car, he said."I hit about 2 ½-feet of snow and it just stopped right there," Merrill told Insider. "I had seen all the Rivian marketing campaigns with the cars just eating through the snow so it was kind of like, man this is disappointing."Merrill said that he's dislodged cars from snowbanks before, and enlisted another vehicle to help pull him out. While he was sitting in the driver's seat, unbuckled, rocking the R1S out of the snowbank, he said that he accidentally triggered a safety feature that got the car stuck between the park and drive gears. His Rivian was bricked, rendering it completely useless.

The brand-new Rivian ultimately had to be loaded onto a flatbed and driven to a service center in Chelsea, Massachusetts, hundreds of miles away. The towing fee was $2,100.

The ordeal now has Merrill considering trading the R1S for a Toyota Tacoma or a similar gas-powered pickup truck, he said.😆😆😆😆

https://www.businessinsider.com/rivian-buyer-car-died-in-snow-after-3-year-wait-2023-3?r=US&IR=T

Another slow motion car wreck…(not DM)

Lucid Motors to lay off 1,300 employees in latest cost-cutting move​

CASA GRANDE, AZ (3TV/CBS 5) -- Electric vehicle startup Lucid Motors is battling more problems as the automaker plans to lay off part of its workforce this week.

The California-based automaker is reportedly said to be “laser-focused on cost” and an internal memo obtained by the news blog Insider says that about 18% of staff will get a pink slip. Federal SEC filings confirmed the number of layoffs and that an email was sent to employees by Lucid CEO Peter Rawlinson notifying them of the cost-cutting move. Company officials later made that notice public, indicating that the cuts will affect both Lucid employees and contractors “in every organization and level, including executives.” Tap/click here to see the full release.

The news comes days after the automaker reportedly recalled hundreds of 2022 and 2023 Lucid Air models for sudden power loss. According to Kelley Blue Book, about 637 vehicles were recalled because the “electric motors can shut down unexpectedly.”

Back