How does everyone think of Greatpark?

Sidehussle said:
Let's not forget future cemetery (and I am not superstitious) but it will draw many out-of-towners and increase traffic flow in and around GP.  I'm voting for it this November!

My thought is that if the cemetery does go there, traffic flow in and out of GP will be considerably less.  Cemetery gets occasional traffic.

If the cemetery isn't there, it won't sit empty, it'd be commercial?  More dense buildings with more cars on a daily basis...

I ain't afraid of no ghosts... cemetery is a non-issue for me.

No retail is more of a problem. Albertson's is not my fave... at least put a Trader Joe's closer by. :)

irvinehomeowner said:
I ain't afraid of no ghosts... cemetery is a non-issue for me.

No retail is more of a problem. Albertson's is not my fave... at least put a Trader Joe's closer by. :)

The PS no retail is now going to GP, isn't GP closer to retail than PS.  I still think it's a non issue regardless of if you're in PS or GP.  It's a nice to have, but people make it way bigger than it is. 

Who goes to the grocery store every day? If so, then yeah don't move to PS or GP now bc retail is a couple miles farther away, but this is an outlier.

Prior to covid, I'm sure most of us drive past a grocery store on their way home from work if you or the partner or kids need something.

Presently with covid, are people going to the grocery store every day or 2/3 days, I assume it's roughly once a week for a Target, Costco, 99 Ranch haul etc.  Or just use Amazon, Costco, Target, Walmart, or any other delivery service you want.

Food you can make the same argument, pick something up on the way home or use any delivery service you want.  I think I did an In n Out mileage/time to OH vs PS and they are roughly the same.  You're probably going to take more time in OH since that Tustin In n Out is way busier than Foothill Ranch.  Are there other places closer to eat, probably, but who doesn't like In n Out...

If you throw retail somewhere, people are going to start complaining about more traffic...haters are always going to hate.

MR high yes, 2% annual increase sucks yes, landscaping sucks yes, some architecture sucks yes, HOA higher than surrounding communities yes, but lack of retail, meh.  Cemetery is meh to me too, but maybe it'll lower property values for Asians who don't want to live in GP/PS/CVE, maybe into Stonegate or Baker Ranch? what's the cemetery radius discount?, good for buyers who don't care I guess, con to one maybe a pro to another.

bones said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
the uncertainty of how highly Portola Springs HS will rank.

It has the highest asian % of all the Irvine high schools... that plus its exclusivity... high school ranking will be FINE.

No doubt that the ranking of the high school will be fine but I had a few buyers who felt uneasy about buying in the areas (including Great Park) that were zoned to Portola Springs HS because there was no ranking yet.

So, apparently there is demographic that wants grocery store as close as possible. Builders should think about it an build not so expensive, no mello, low HOA boxes that share a wall with grocery stores. I am sure those will sell like hotcakes.

Saving $70-90 per month in HOA for some "free" beer.  You should be drinking more than 5 IPAs! LOL

AW said:
Sidehussle said:
Let's not forget future cemetery (and I am not superstitious) but it will draw many out-of-towners and increase traffic flow in and around GP.  I'm voting for it this November!

My thought is that if the cemetery does go there, traffic flow in and out of GP will be considerably less.  Cemetery gets occasional traffic.

If the cemetery isn't there, it won't sit empty, it'd be commercial?  More dense buildings with more cars on a daily basis...

You won't get to vote for a cemetery, not on the ballot. But you can vote for Larry Agran. Irvine should just tell the state they no longer want to be a cemetery site. Erases many issues.

paydawg said:
Saving $70-90 per month in HOA for some "free" beer.  You should be drinking more than 5 IPAs! LOL

Who said I'm paying for it?  LOL

I was at Ellwood phase 1 in BP, but that was sold. 

It's not just about the grocery store. It's the other places that are usually in a retail center that people might go to often... like a boba shop. :)

irvinehomeowner said:
It's not just about the grocery store. It's the other places that are usually in a retail center that people might go to often... like a boba shop. :)

or a dry cleaner, a UPS drop off, some sort of boutique workout studio, bougie coffee shop, the list goes on.  I don't see how having retail in a community can be a bad thing.  Man I wish we DIDNOT have a town center - said no one ever. 

I think there is an ideal distance from one's home to shopping centers, not too close and not too far. For me, that ideal range is 5 to 10 miles.

Good thing I don't drink boba or coffee... ;D I never said it was a bad thing, I said it was a nice to have, but it's not a huge consideration for me if I had to drive an extra 2-5 miles once or twice a week, and planned efficiently its not during peak hours.

I think if someone lived right next to or behind a town center, they may have said they don't want it due to noise, increased lighting, and increased traffic, everyone here complains about traffic including me...hate it.

Sure but that's like in any development.  Someone has to live next to Irvine Blvd.  Someone has to live across from the schools.  Someone has to live next to the retail.  Someone has to live next to the guard gate. But the majority wants these things... for access.  Just as long as it's not them.

bones said:
Sure but that's like in any development.  Someone has to live next to Irvine Blvd.  Someone has to live across from the schools.  Someone has to live next to the retail.  Someone has to live next to the guard gate. But the majority wants these things... for access.  Just as long as it's not them.

Exactly...so what's the ideal radius for retail?  What's too close vs too far?  I'm trying to understand how close people want to be to retail since it doesn't bother me as much as the rest of the majority?  It seems the majority have an idea of what's too far and too close, so let's hear it.

talkirvine said 5-10 miles...PS would be fine.  The community park at Tomato Springs at the very top of PS to Culver/Irvine is 6 miles to that Albertsons Plaza. So if we're talking PS to Woodbury it's even less.  PS High School to Culver/Irvine is 5 miles.  Is that too far?  Or do people want to be within 1 mile of retail.  Then it goes into are you too close.

Target comparison as a lot of people shop there.

PS High to Foothill Ranch Target is 4 miles...too far?  It's up Alton speedway so it's not like its going to be too long of a drive. 
OH Cetera to Target in Tustin is 3.6 miles using Culver, ton of traffic, vs 4 miles on the Toll Road.

Costco comparison, b/c the majority of us like to hoard bulk products. 

PS High to Costco Technology is 4.1 miles using Irvine Blvd/Alton
OH Cetera to Costco in Tustin is 4.7 miles using Culver, 4.9 using Jamboree

Market Comparison
PS High to Ralphs Woodbury is 2.6 miles
OH Cetera to the Pavillions 1.6 miles

Some prefer walkable, others bikeable and yet others far enough so you can only get there by car.

So far, PS/GP has only the 3rd option. :)

akkord said:
bones said:

Exactly...so what's the ideal radius for retail?  What's too close vs too far?  I'm trying to understand how close people want to be to retail since it doesn't bother me as much as the rest of the majority?  It seems the majority have an idea of what's too far and too close, so let's hear it.

talkirvine said 5-10 miles...PS would be fine.  The community park at Tomato Springs at the very top of PS to Culver/Irvine is 6 miles to that Albertsons Plaza. So if we're talking PS to Woodbury it's even less.  PS High School to Culver/Irvine is 5 miles.  Is that too far?  Or do people want to be within 1 mile of retail.  Then it goes into are you too close.

PS High to Foothill Ranch Target is 4 miles...too far?  It's up Alton speedway so it's not like its going to be too long of a drive. 
OH Cetera to Target in Tustin is 3.6 miles using Culver, ton of traffic, vs 4 miles on the Toll Road.

Market Comparison

Honestly I don't think it's defined by miles or time.  It's more you just want one IN your area.  Great Park is defined by how many hoods now? 5? 6? Portola Springs has PS1, 2, 3, 4, 5? 6?  Woodbury is one village and they share a town center with SG.  Cypress Village has their own.  Orchard Hills has their own.  What makes GP and PS so unique that they can't have one?  Oh right, poor planning and greed.

bones said:
akkord said:
bones said:

Market Comparison

Honestly I don't think it's defined by miles or time.  It's more you just want one IN your area.  Great Park is defined by how many hoods now? 5? 6? Portola Springs has PS1, 2, 3, 4, 5? 6?  Woodbury is one village and they share a town center with SG.  Cypress Village has their own.  Orchard Hills has their own.  What makes GP and PS so unique that they can't have one?  Oh right, poor planning and greed.

Yeah, they should have one smack in the middle of GP, I mean they have acres and acres... that being said, I used to live in Woodbury when it first started, the town center was great since it wasn?t fully built out and the neighboring communities were non existent.  Fast forward several years and it suuuucks, as akkord mentioned, the traffic... a lot of people cut through the community towards the town center and they also like to blow past stop signs which doubly sucks for the residents

well right.  because right now, THOUSANDS of GP and PS residents go to WB to get milk.  Wouldn't building retail IN the GP alleviate some of that WB traffic?  And yes, I understand that you still need to traverse down Irvine Blvd to get to Target and down Sand Canyon to get to Costco, but having a neighborhood retail helps more than hurts. 

Back