How does everyone think of Greatpark?

The Great Park area is okay...

Pros:
-nice mix of architecture
-community landscape/amenities are a nice change from most of the TIC communities
-large area to jog/bike/exercise around

Cons:
-some of the 3 level homes in the newer phases just keep going and going and the view driving behind them in a row looks horrendous
-Ironically, it seems as if some of the newer enclaves are going from a nice architecture mix to too much plain, flat, boxy repetitious architecture (similar to what bones said)
-Irvine Blvd traffic is turning into what Culver used to be 5 years ago
-MR are ridiculous
-HOA is extremely high in some of the developments (granted they have many amenities)
-What I like to call the Sand Canyon crunch by the 5
-TOXIC land

That being said, I really like Pavilion Park and would probably only consider living in that neighborhood.

You know that feeling when you are munching on cheetos...or french fries...you know that there is nothing good about it..but just for fun's sake you keep biting.....

this thread feels like it....I know there is nothing useful, productive, new info here..but I keep refreshing the page every now and then...

I am a mere mortal afterall...

qwerty said:
eyephone said:
Over taxed. I do not buy the argument that they would not build the roads and piping without the Melo Roos. I hear some people call it a scam.

They taxpayer money that paid the consultants could of paid for the Great Park infrastructure. That money went down the drain. No where to be found.
No outrage except by me. When people do not speak up. Then they get taken advantage of. That is how life is. Sorry to say.

On the MR topic being a scam. It was challenged in court not to long ago by the Building Industry Association in the Bay Area. Unfortunately they lost and the Ca Supreme Court and US Supreme Court wanted nothing to with the case
https://www.bbklaw.com/news-events/...upreme-court-declines-to-review-a-legal-chall

I thought the arguments against MR were valid but perhaps I?m biased because I?m stuck with MR. it is clearly a Tax and workaround to Prop 13.
The gray area for me is at what point is it excess - I get it if is infrastructure costs for the community in question but it sure seems like a lot of the funding is way more broad than that and a ton of it is funding the Great Park (don't get me wrong - I appreciate everyone at GP paying for things that I use - and I get it, lots of public parks and access in most communities - but one thing for a public sports complex - another for what GP is doing).

And I might be way misinformed and there is a lot more public use funds in there than GP (I know there is - just seems like a huge shortfall from original is being inherently funded by GP residents - again I have no real facts behind this more going on my perception). 

Cornflakes said:
You know that feeling when you are munching on cheetos...or french fries...you know that there is nothing good about it..but just for fun's sake you keep biting.....

this thread feels like it....I know there is nothing useful, productive, new info here..but I keep refreshing the page every now and then...

I am a mere mortal afterall...

It's like a car accident, you can't help but rubberneck.  Heck, even I got sucked into the thread because of the discussion of the transactions I've done in CVE. haha

For those newbies stumbling across this thread. By its nature online forums bring out more negative post than positive. Don't let this scare you off considering the Great Park neighborhood.

Im coming from a more neutral/supportive angle

Pros- Most family friendly neighborhood in Irvine. No neighbors calling the cops on you on your kids bday or because they we biking down the street like other neighborhoods. Parks, simple trails, pools and community centers abound. Nearby schools. Beautiful architecture and floor plans to fit various styles and budgets.

Potential Cons- tax rate; 1.8 vs 1.4 for other new developments, not as terrible as some people on here like to scream, superfund site; everyone on here and in general needs to do better research on this. Not all superfund sites are equal. It doesn't automatically mean there was radioactive sludge under every rock, Lack of retail; don't hold your breath on 2 min walking distance retail soon, just going to have to live with 5-10 min drives.

From my clients' perspectives, here are their thoughts about Great Park...

Positives - larger lot sizes on average, more interesting architecture and builders (aka not just Irvine Pacific homes), great amenities and numerous parks, K-8 schools, minimal apartments, and the thought that the area will be the center of Irvine once the Great Park is built out.

Negatives - high HOA, high Mello Roos (and increasing 2% a year), the thought that it's "too far out there" from the rest of Irvine, lack of walkable retail, a former superfund site, too close to the jail, and the uncertainty of how highly Portola Springs HS will rank.

I discuss the positives and negatives with all my buyers looking to buy in Irvine so that way they can make an "eye wide open" decision on whether buying a home at the Great Park is right for them. Every buyer is different and each one has different things that they value more so one of my jobs is to provide my clients with as much information and options as possible.

USCTrojanCPA said:
From my clients' perspectives, here are their thoughts about Great Park...

Positives - larger lot sizes on average, more interesting architecture and builders (aka not just Irvine Pacific homes), great amenities and numerous parks, K-8 schools, minimal apartments, and the thought that the area will be the center of Irvine once the Great Park is built out.

Negatives - high HOA, high Mello Roos (and increasing 2% a year), the thought that it's "too far out there" from the rest of Irvine, lack of walkable retail, a former superfund site, too close to the jail, and the uncertainty of how highly Portola Springs HS will rank.

I discuss the positives and negatives with all my buyers looking to buy in Irvine so that way they can make an "eye wide open" decision on whether buying a home at the Great Park is right for them. Every buyer is different and each one has different things that they value more so one of my jobs is to provide my clients with as much information and options as possible.

HOA isn't bad...believe it's $210 or $215 and they get access to more pools than other communities and they had events that I went to too that they've done well. The free beer and food at the Novel Park grand opening was good even though it was "for residents only", they didn't check anything, put down 5 IPAs, and there were no lines pretty much the whole night. Our Tustin Ranch rental HOA is $170 and only have access to 1 super old pool, but Stonegate and Woodbury are cheaper, believe in the $120s? for comparable SFRs, but less pools. 

MR, the earlier the community in GP the cheaper it was...so PP, even BP was ok, after that it's too high and the price per sf is lower to compensate. 

ting3149 said:
I live in Greatpark and personally I enjoy living here. However, I heard a lot of people hold negative opinions on Greatpark. What do you think this community is? I would like to discuss with you guys.

Way too high ongoing costs till you sell or die. Taxes of $10K on top of base 1%, for the next 40+ years with an annual escalation component...no thanks.

Sidehussle said:
ting3149 said:
I live in Greatpark and personally I enjoy living here. However, I heard a lot of people hold negative opinions on Greatpark. What do you think this community is? I would like to discuss with you guys.

Its just few $. I much rather the prestige and exclusivity of living in GPN. There is a sense of pride in it.

Way too high ongoing costs till you sell or die. Taxes of $10K on top of base 1%, for the next 40+ years with an annual escalation component...no thanks.

Theres an exclusivity in Great Park? I never got the feeling when I went there. Felt so crammed.

If anything i feel it more in Orchard Hills, that "exclusivity"

mind you, i dont live in either communities but when I toured both, that was my observation.

trematix said:
Theres an exclusivity in Great Park? I never got the feeling when I went there. Felt so crammed.

If anything i feel it more in Orchard Hills, that "exclusivity"

mind you, i dont live in either communities but when I toured both, that was my observation.

There?s crammed and ?exclusive? parts in both

Shady Canyon is exclusive.  400? ish homes, varying levels of gates, golf course, surrounded by no other homes.

Great Park is exclusive..... to a super fund site.

akkord said:
but Stonegate and Woodbury are cheaper, believe in the $120s? for comparable SFRs, but less pools. 

Is the number of pools that important?  Wouldn't pool to resident ratio be more telling? 
I think Woodbury has 7 pools for like 4000ish homes? Great Park has 4 for 3000ish homes.

USCTrojanCPA said:
the uncertainty of how highly Portola Springs HS will rank.

It has the highest asian % of all the Irvine high schools... that plus its exclusivity... high school ranking will be FINE.

bones said:
akkord said:
but Stonegate and Woodbury are cheaper, believe in the $120s? for comparable SFRs, but less pools. 

Is the number of pools that important?  Wouldn't pool to resident ratio be more telling? 
I think Woodbury has 7 pools for like 4000ish homes? Great Park has 4 for 3000ish homes.

You're right, I think there's 5 pools, but when I've visited it's been relatively quiet at the pools minus the one with cabanas.  But we normally go to a friends pool these days with Covid, so I guess pools is a moot point right now.  People now need a big lot to build their own. 

bones said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

It has the highest asian % of all the Irvine high schools... that plus its exclusivity... high school ranking will be FINE.

What is the exclusivity of Portola HS?

Cares said:
bones said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

What is the exclusivity of Portola HS?

None. Sarcasm.
Although I really do think the HS will be ranked high enough.

Let's not forget future cemetery (and I am not superstitious) but it will draw many out-of-towners and increase traffic flow in and around GP.  I'm voting for it this November!

Back