How does everyone think of Greatpark?

akkord said:
Not sure by what you mean by undesirable, CVE has incredibly low MR compared to GP and other Irvine communities.  I don't know of apartments in there, but mostly attached/detached condos on the ice rink side of the 133.  I believe USC sold some condos at or over list there a few months ago.

Irvinecommuter said:
akkord said:
CVE is far worse than PP to Beacon for elementary/MS, and high school if you wanted to compare another neighborhood in the same area.  You're going across Sand Canyon with no bridge.  Jeffrey Trail is near the 5 and Jeffrey, that's a long walk/bike on major streets if you lived at the corner of Trabuco/Ridge Valley.

1)  That is why CVE is very undesirable and mostly apartments are this point.  CVE is also closer to the freeway than PP or BP. 

2)  One of the biggest issues with CV is that a major street runs through the community.  Go near Roosevelt and Jeffrey during school time and you will see the backup is pretty crazy.

I sold 4 listings in CVE in the past year and all sold at or over list price in less than 2 weeks.  I also had a buyer who closed on the purchase of Trellis Court Plan 4 last week who offered slightly above list price (and we got lucky because we made such a fast offer before the seller had a higher back up buyer). The lack of an elementary school was a negative but all of the buyers were pleasantly surprised how low the Mello Roos was. There are no apartments in CVE.

Over taxed. I do not buy the argument that they would not build the roads and piping without the Melo Roos. I hear some people call it a scam.

They taxpayer money that paid the consultants could of paid for the Great Park infrastructure. That money went down the drain. No where to be found.
No outrage except by me. When people do not speak up. Then they get taken advantage of. That is how life is. Sorry to say.

USCTrojanCPA said:
akkord said:
Not sure by what you mean by undesirable, CVE has incredibly low MR compared to GP and other Irvine communities.  I don't know of apartments in there, but mostly attached/detached condos on the ice rink side of the 133.  I believe USC sold some condos at or over list there a few months ago.

Irvinecommuter said:
akkord said:
CVE is far worse than PP to Beacon for elementary/MS, and high school if you wanted to compare another neighborhood in the same area.  You're going across Sand Canyon with no bridge.  Jeffrey Trail is near the 5 and Jeffrey, that's a long walk/bike on major streets if you lived at the corner of Trabuco/Ridge Valley.

1)  That is why CVE is very undesirable and mostly apartments are this point.  CVE is also closer to the freeway than PP or BP. 

2)  One of the biggest issues with CV is that a major street runs through the community.  Go near Roosevelt and Jeffrey during school time and you will see the backup is pretty crazy.

I sold 4 listings in CVE in the past year and all sold at or over list price in less than 2 weeks.  I also had a buyer who closed on the purchase of Trellis Court Plan 4 last week who offered slightly above list price (and we got lucky because we made such a fast offer before the seller had a higher back up buyer). The lack of an elementary school was a negative but all of the buyers were pleasantly surprised how low the Mello Roos was. There are no apartments in CVE.

Sooooooo... does that mean it's a value village? :)

bones said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
akkord said:

Irvinecommuter said:
akkord said:

Sooooooo... does that mean it's a value village? :)

Only if value villages trade for over $500/sf.  :p

eyephone said:
Over taxed. I do not buy the argument that they would not build the roads and piping without the Melo Roos. I hear some people call it a scam.

They taxpayer money that paid the consultants could of paid for the Great Park infrastructure. That money went down the drain. No where to be found.
No outrage except by me. When people do not speak up. Then they get taken advantage of. That is how life is. Sorry to say.
I'm curious if something eventually gives and the taxes get cut - I feel like the residents are funding a lot of stuff that goes above and beyond what would typically be paid for in most other new communities (i.e., broader great park development that serves much more broadly than just the GP community). 

Bullsback said:
eyephone said:

I'm curious if something eventually gives and the taxes get cut - I feel like the residents are funding a lot of stuff that goes above and beyond what would typically be paid for in most other new communities (i.e., broader great park development that serves much more broadly than just the GP community).

After the tax SALT limitation. It does not make sense.

Irvinecommuter said:
AW said:
Irvinecommuter said:
AW said:
hmm, my counter to that (playing devils advocate) is that laguna altura and hidden canyon both don't have elementary within their neighborhood and have to cross a freeway to get to one...
orchard hills have northwood high (i know the gated side is zoned to beckman, but the physical northwood high school is right there), and the only way out is portola...

i don't live in GP, but i don't see it being all that bad

Hidden Canyon/LA is much more like Altair:  Gated exclusive community with large lots and lower density.  It makes sense that they do not have a community school.

Again, PP was sold as a family community for multigenerational families.  That is why I said Altair makes more sense where PP is.  PP is also the only place in Great Park that is not affected by the bad soil issue because it was where the residential dorms were on the base and thus no dumping issues.

Orchard Hill is not connected to Northwood High at all and it has multiple exits.  Yes, they all feed into Portola but it is not directly across the street.  Also, if you actually live near either Culver/Portola, it is incredibly crowded and annoying in the morning (including those 60 second crosswalks and no right turn on red).
I would say that's true for HC but not LA, feels crowded to me and only a couple of lots are large, otherwise it's the typical sardine packed rows

Regarding the soil, I think you got that wrong, PP I believe used to be strawberry fields, Altair is where the barracks used to be, I'm 99% positive, I drove there quite a bit 15-20 years ago (back when sand canyon was a 2 lane road) and remember the chernobyl like scene with ghostly looking kiddie playgrounds right where altair is.  I don't think there's dumping issues there either.  GP is > 20 acres, and only a small portion was used for dumping (probably near the hangars).  IIRC irwd had a map of where it was, it's south, near the freeway, away from housing.  Also it's in woodbridge but not alot of hoopla around that...

Thanks for the clarification.  HC is definitely more exclusive and has bigger lots than LA. 

Looking back at some old TI thread...people thought it may have been where the school was but then again, planes taking off in close proximately is probably not that great.

A military base has dumping pretty much everywhere.  It is not subject to federal or state environmental regulations.  Best map I could find was this:

n50iur-b8843023z.120140503121336000gs71r5ue.30.jpg
Here's an old map, top left yellow outline is pp, farmland, altair is the old barracks north of irvine blvd in the middle, i still don't think they'll "dump" stuff near where they live:

AerialMap%20El%20Toro.jpg

Cornflakes said:
bones said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Where is Belly? He loves these GP vs TIC wars. :)

OP is the wife.  Classic forum troll question. And.... mission accomplished.

Totally agree, troll question and I fell for it... :D

Happens to the best of us. It?s cool though - been awhile since we had development maps on here. A nice breath of rehashed air.

USCTrojanCPA said:

Thanks for the information re apartments...I was combining the portion on both sides of the 133 (i.e. Avella).  I guess the apartments are actually part of Cypress Village and CVE is only as to the section on the other side of the 133.

Based upon what I see on Redfin...condos at CVE sells for between $470 to $500 per SF while CV sells for $490 to $520.  Stonegate is around $500 to $525.

In a blow to my argument, Woodbury condos are selling really low...like low to mid $400s...I don't know why Woodbury is selling so low...hardly any movement in the last 5-10 years for Woodbury condos.

Caveat is that it is really hard to compare the prices just based upon square footage.

AW said:
Here's an old map, top left yellow outline is pp, farmland, altair is the old barracks north of irvine blvd in the middle, i still don't think they'll "dump" stuff near where they live:

AerialMap%20El%20Toro.jpg

Just comparing the two maps...it looks like there was a landfill around where Altair is.  I know there was a whole issue of contaminated soil near Portola HS, which is directly across from Altair. 

eyephone said:

On the MR topic being a scam. It was challenged in court not to long ago by the Building Industry Association in the Bay Area. Unfortunately they lost and the Ca Supreme Court and US Supreme Court wanted nothing to with the case
https://www.bbklaw.com/news-events/...upreme-court-declines-to-review-a-legal-chall

I thought the arguments against MR were valid but perhaps I?m biased because I?m stuck with MR. it is clearly a Tax and workaround to Prop 13.

paydawg said:
Irvinecommuter said:
akkord said:

This is Fake News!!  LOL

1) CVE is very desirable b/c of the low MR.  Just ask USCTrojanMBA how recent listings have done over there.  And most apartments??  No.

2) CV doesn't have an issue with traffic, not even at Roosevelt/Jeffrey.  I use that route everyday for the past 4 years going to work during the peak times.

Desirable is relative...comparing $ per square foot...CVE is less than other areas even with the lower mello roos. 

I will just disagree re Roosevelt and Jeffrey between 7:30 a.m. and 8:30 a.m., it is full of traffic coming in and out of Jeffrey Trails. 

CV does not have a problem with traffic most of the time...the fact that Roosevelt runs through it is a negative point though.

qwerty said:
eyephone said:

On the MR topic being a scam. It was challenged in court not to long ago by the Building Industry Association in the Bay Area. Unfortunately they lost and the Ca Supreme Court and US Supreme Court wanted nothing to with the case
https://www.bbklaw.com/news-events/...upreme-court-declines-to-review-a-legal-chall

I thought the arguments against MR were valid but perhaps I?m biased because I?m stuck with MR. it is clearly a Tax and workaround to Prop 13.

MR are okay because Prop 13 limits state property tax assessment.  MR created local tax unit/districts that are not bound by Prop 13.  MRs are based upon the bonds sold to finance the development...it is all public records.

The increase is built in to the bond but a good administrator will often seek to refinance the bonds but MR can increase if there are build out issues.

Just buy Delano from Eastwood. Oh wait, too late. All sold out!

eyephone will now think I'm YF 100%.

Irvinecommuter said:
Just comparing the two maps...it looks like there was a landfill around where Altair is.  I know there was a whole issue of contaminated soil near Portola HS, which is directly across from Altair.
you could be right, there is a little undeveloped hill in altair adjacent to ps3 or 5 or whatever the ps enclave is that's on modjeska... could be buried landfill...

contaminated soil near portola hs is more on the undeveloped land between cadence park and portola hs, that's where the cemetery was supposed to be?  it's not meant for residences....

Back