Great Park: William Lyon - Whistler

Went to see these today and I really like the plan 3 with a few exceptions.  They had two of them in standing inventory but neither had the loft, however price seemed ok.  They were at $950k and had upgraded appliances, quartz counters, built in fridge, and good lot size with no one directly behind.

What turned me off were the really narrow and steep stairs, the lack of loft, and the fact that all the secondary bathrooms shower and countertops had white tile (also in the master shower).  I can't believe that builders of $1M homes still put white tile in bathrooms.  A basic granite top of such a small size can't cost more than a couple hundred bucks... Quite ridiculous.

$1m+ homes should all use eStone/quartz or whatever and if the shower/baths don't have upgraded tile, they should have at least the subway tile (not the 4" squares).

But this is Irvine... $1m is just the cover charge.

Agree with you there IHO.  I feel like buying that house and ripping out those brand new counters and showers the day after close... but what a waste. 

4" white square tiles in the master bathroom?  C'mon!

[/quote]
Lack of a loft in the Whistler Plan 3 would be a deal breaker for me too - I thought they were going to include the bonus room in these plans as standard going forward?  As for the white tile bathrooms - some builders are still doing that, some are doing E-stone (or some variation of it) on the countertops.  Although, every builder I know still does the small tiles in the shower/tub walls.  But these Whistler homes are priced cheaper so I guess even if you were to upgrade every bathroom, you'll probably still come out ahead versus some of the other similar product at PP.
[/quote]

These plan 3s without the bonus room are the left overs from the first couple of phases.  All the future phases will have the bonus room as standard.

Phase 4A Released Today

Residence 1 -  2336-2390 sq.ft.
From $891,990 - $944,990

Residence 2 -  2487 sq.ft.
From $911,990 - $974,990

Residence 3 -  2896 sq.ft.
From $1,034,990 - $1,054,990

Attachments

• Whistler Phase 4A  3.8.2014.jpg
    Whistler Phase 4A 3.8.2014.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 228
I believe they had 1 home left from Phase 1, 2 in Phase 2, 2-3 in Phase 3.  The lot premiums are in the range of $10-25K so I think its a combination of both.

What are thoughts on 7500 sq ft lot with Plan 2 (2486 sq ft) for 974,990 - ends up at 390/sq ft ? Lot is comparable size to Shea, but subpar floor plan.

SunnyG said:
What are thoughts on 7500 sq ft lot with Plan 2 (2486 sq ft) for 974,990 - ends up at 390/sq ft ? Lot is comparable size to Shea, but subpar floor plan.
Minus the Toll Road proximity I think this Phase 4 of Whistler is in a great location.  Most of the lot sizes are large, and the positioning is all the way in the back of PP so it will be pretty quiet (traffic wise).  I doubt you can hear the Toll Road from inside the home but outside you'll hear it, though not sure once all the homes are built how muffled it will be. 

I'd probably save some $ and go for lot 67 or lot 55.  Neither of these have homes behind them and lot size is still decent. 

A 7500 sq ft lot is a blessing and a curse.  Great thing to have in new Irvine construction since it's so rare, but be prepared to take out a second mortgage if you want to landscape that baby properly. 

Thanks for the insight aquabliss. we do like the location of the lot within the community, and seems tucked away. the advantage is that the lot is fairly rectangular so good amount of usable space.

we have been debating the value of the lot premium, and whether that will be worthwhile in the long run. I know we will enjoy the outdoor space, esp if it can be done well, but don't want to sink too much into it either.

Stopped by Whistler in Pavilion Park today.  Looks like they increased their prices in Phase 4A.  They have Phase 4B and 5 left and then the models. 

Attachments

• Whistler Price Increase Phase 4A.jpg
    Whistler Price Increase Phase 4A.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 205
Yes, around 25 left.  When they first opened in 9/2013, the sales office estimated they would complete sales by 1st half of 2015.  The sales agent said if sales go well they may finish in 2014.  Of course more competition coming like Laurel in Cypress Village.

While Whistler wasn't our favorite layout in PP, it kind of hit the sweet spot for us in terms of budget and size.  We definitely didn't want a motorcourt home - the Taylor Morrison / Springhouse homes had really narrow lots, and Sagewood/Rosemist were just slightly out of budget.  I assume the same must be true for other buyers and I think the remaining homes will sell pretty quickly.

I have to admit the layout has grown on me a lot over the last couple months.  Also, all the Whistler lots are really wide because plans 1 and 2 have a garage with no living area above.  Plan 3 (from here on out) just has the bonus room above the garage.  If you have a Plan 1 and/or a Plan 2 on either side of you, this gives you a lot of privacy that you don't get with other new homes because upstairs you don't have wall to wall with your neighbor since their garage (or yours + theirs) separates the upstairs living.

Sunny - I think the "worth it part" is up to you.  It's a really nice lot and shape and there's so many things you could do with it.  Unfortunately it doesn't have a view and it's not a corner lot but all things considered it's pretty good and relatively private. 

If you're seriously considering it, go to the lot location and walk around and get a feel for the size as well as the toll road proximity - it may or may not be a deal breaker for you. 

Stopped by today again and prices are increased once more.  These guys are getting too greedy.  At this point, I guess they're hoping for some of the run off from Sagewood or Rosemist...

Not that I mind of course :)

Attachments

• whistler.jpg
    whistler.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 218
Aquabliss,

Is this Phase 4B or Phase 5?  I didn't think they were releasing Phase 4B for 2-3 more weeks.  I wonder what accounts for the $55K difference in the Plan 3 price range.  In the past I don't recall any lot premiums larger than $20-30K. 

Back