Google Fiber coming to Irvine

Dresden215 said:
The technicians were installing the Google fiber optic lines today on the Groves side.
Oh that is great news.  Is that availability also in October then?

By the way anyone have outages of At&t fiber niw

Irvine Turtle said:
Dresden215 said:
The technicians were installing the Google fiber optic lines today on the Groves side.

AT&T is pathetic IMHO. I have frequent problems and chronically experience issues where one of two forced DNS servers is unresponsive or an AT&T router 5 hops up has. 300+ ms response or just doesnt respond.

nosuchreality said:
Irvine Turtle said:
Dresden215 said:

AT&T is pathetic IMHO. I have frequent problems and chronically experience issues where one of two forced DNS servers is unresponsive or an AT&T router 5 hops up has. 300+ ms response or just doesnt respond.
AT&T Fiber or their shit-dsl?  The older side of Irvine didn't want to allow AT&T to improve and blocked them from doing so.

Have you considered using different DNS servers?  I don't know how they could possibly be forced, are they?

Wow that's awesome to hear. However, I do love ATT Fiber.

WE live in the groves at Orchard Hills. We tried Cox fiber for a day and hated it. Variable speeds, slow ping.

No matter throughout the day I get 2 ping with a download speed of about 125 mbps and an upload speed of 124.

We pay for Internet 100 @ 40 dollars a month with att fiber.  ;D

The cox Giga blast is pretty good  . I was skeptical of their claim but test after test on wired connection showed me 950-975 mbps.  Didn?t seem that much more expensive as well when bundled . Mine is around $245 / pm , all you can eat telephone , cable , internet included , with 3 set top boxes

fortune11 said:
The cox Giga blast is pretty good  . I was skeptical of their claim but test after test on wired connection showed me 950-975 mbps.  Didn?t seem that much more expensive as well when bundled . Mine is around $245 / pm , all you can eat telephone , cable , internet included , with 3 set top boxes

I just need internet and I have direct tv now for $40 a month. The service comes with free recording of shows. (Includes free Apple 4K tv device)

eyephone said:
fortune11 said:

I just need internet and I have direct tv now for $40 a month. (Includes free Apple 4K tv device)

Personal prefence.  I think if you started adding a la carte everything , it adds up pretty fast . The conneceted phone is also nice to have as a fallback when WiFi is patchy or cell signal is weak . And live sports is a convenience I don?t want to give up (like the us open last week)  . Again , may not workfor everyone , but hits the sweet spot for me.

The internet speed is like the engine in cars . Once you get used to the extra power / torque , hard to go back :)

DirecTV Now has live sports and TV.

The DVR is limited because you can't Chromecast them but if you have an Amazon device (or Apple TV), that allows you to watch recorded shows on your TV.

We got DirecTV dish for $25 a month but that will go away in a year so we'll see what's available then. Cox TV is way overpriced compared to what's out there... it didn't use to be but if you add HBO (which is free to AT&T subscribers) or some other premium channels, using something other than Cox TV will save you significant money.

it?s very convenient with direct tv now. Let?s say your kid or spouse is watching tv or your kid doing homework and don?t want the television on.

I can simply go on my phone or iPad and watch sports or the news. I don?t need to leave the room.

fortune11 said:
The internet speed is like the engine in cars . Once you get used to the extra power / torque , hard to go back :)

I'm curious what applications you use that require such high bandwidth (ie. gigabit)?  I recently upped mine from 100->300Mbit and really don't notice any practical difference except when I back-up to my cloud service.    Did your latency improve to the point where you can see a difference when web browsing?

woodburyowner said:
fortune11 said:

I'm curious what applications you use that require such high bandwidth (ie. gigabit)?  I recently upped mine from 100->300Mbit and really don't notice any practical difference except when I back-up to my cloud service.    Did your latency improve to the point where you can see a difference when web browsing?

Big time day trader? Online gamer? Jk

eyephone said:
woodburyowner said:
fortune11 said:

streaming stormy daniels videos  ;)

eyephone said:
woodburyowner said:
fortune11 said:

Trying to keep up with these trumpsters ? videos and gifs on the MAGA threads :)

But seriously, when you have multiple devices on at the same time w no lag whatsoever , then you realize the value . Also if you store things on the cloud and are uploading / downloading . And gaming, as eyephone pointed out .

fortune11 said:
But seriously, when you have multiple devices on at the same time w no lag whatsoever , then you realize the value . Also if you store things on the cloud and are uploading / downloading . And gaming, as eyephone pointed out .

What's your ping time with gigabit internet service?  This is the biggest factor for gaming, not really bandwidth (after a certain minimum).  Also, multiple devices with no lag is probably due to your router and proper configuration of your router.

Can anyone here explain why they're adding what appears to be a new cell tower, right next to another cell tower on a hill above OH V2? That "tree" to the right is a camouflaged cell tower.

Attachments

• CellTower2.jpg
    CellTower2.jpg
    594.4 KB · Views: 330
Perspective said:
Can anyone here explain why they're adding what appears to be a new cell tower, right next to another cell tower on a hill above OH V2? That "tree" to the right is a camouflaged cell tower.

Could be for a different Network Operator or for additional capacity with the existing Network Operator.

Apparently Google Fiber is not completely dead. They are burying new fiber in my area. I would love to dump COX. Anyone have feedback on their service?

iacrenter said:
Apparently Google Fiber is not completely dead. They are burying new fiber in my area. I would love to dump COX. Anyone have feedback on their service?

I love it. Been a happy customer of their service for 2 years already. I pay $50 without any other fees. I use over 1 terabyte of data / month without any data throttling.

A good buddy of mine is working on the strategic side of the Google Fiber business. It seems like they have pretty big plans for expansion in the works as they are growing their team out of the Irvine office.

Plus Stonegate HOA is currently in negotiation around legal terms with Google to lay new fiber. Cypress Village might follow if all goes well with Stonegate.

Back