Google Fiber coming to Irvine

I would be surprised if those people were working for Google.  I think we are probably a year plus away.

According to the OC Register in 2015:

"The city must provide Google Fiber a list of assurances ? such as access to existing equipment and obstacle-free permitting ? in an effort to persuade the company to install its network. Then city officials wait.

In other cities that use Google Fiber, the wait time from invite to confirmation was about a year. So far, no proposed Google Fiber city has been later rejected."

iacrenter said:
I would be surprised if those people were working for Google.  I think we are probably a year plus away.

These guys definitely didn't work for google.  I think google wanted to know the layout of the communities and how much fiber needed to be put in.  City "lost" or never got the plans so now they have to hire a 3rd party company to manually map out these underground conduits.

paperboyNC said:
aquabliss said:
Hurry up Google!  Cox just raised their prices again.  Now $73/mo for 50Mbps.

Check if Gigapower is available. $75/mo for 300mbps up and down.https://www.att.com/shop/u-verse/gigapower.html

I posted this in the other thread but AT&T has a 500 gb data cap and the lower price is for one year and if you basically agree to be part of AT&T's data collection service.  Honestly, I am not sure how different that is with Google but they are things to consider.

Irvinecommuter said:
paperboyNC said:
aquabliss said:

Check if Gigapower is available. $75/mo for 300mbps up and down.https://www.att.com/shop/u-verse/gigapower.html

I posted this in the other thread but AT&T has a 500 gb data cap and the lower price is for one year and if you basically agree to be part of AT&T's data collection service.  Honestly, I am not sure how different that is with Google but they are things to consider.

Does anyone know how available (city wide) these Cox competitors are for customers? Is it primarily new build areas?

I will be sad if Google Fiber is only built for the  new villages.

paperboyNC said:
aquabliss said:

Looks like it's available, $80/mo - not bad.

o8ryux.jpg

I live in the older area of Irvine that refused to let AT&T have faster speeds.  Only thing available from AT&T is fake uverse. 

I recall when Irvine was turning down AT&T that people were claiming that AT&T shouldn't be allowed to improve because AT&T sucks.  What? 

The main reason, though, it was rejected is because the people in these areas didn't want to see new equipment possibly go up in or near their front yards.  This is why I'm surprised that Google is getting an opportunity.  I hope AT&T can also be allowed in these areas as well when they let Google in.  The more competition, the better for us.

The pricing seems reasonable compared to what COX is now charging for 100Mbps (~$82) but don't like the requirement to opt in for all your web browsing which they refer to as ATT Internet Preferences.  If you opt out the price is $109(vs. $80) for 300Mbps and $139(vs. $109) for 1Gps.  In addition the monthly cap is 500GB for the 300Mbps and 1Tb for the 1Gps speeds with $10 per addl 50GB.  I imagine for some folks these monthly caps may be to low.

From ATT website:
With AT&T Internet Preferences, what types of information are you collecting?

The web pages you visit, the time you spend on each, the links or ads you see and follow, and the search terms you enter. We won't collect information from secure (https) or otherwise encrypted sites, such as when you enter your credit card to buy something online or do online banking on a secure site.

How does AT&T Internet Preferences work with my browser's privacy settings?

AT&T Internet Preferences works independently of your browser's privacy settings regarding cookies, do-not-track, and private browsing. If you opt in to AT&T Internet Preferences, we'll still be able to collect and use your web browsing information independently of those settings.

Logik said:
The pricing seems reasonable compared to what COX is now charging for 100Mbps (~$82) but don't like the requirement to opt in for all your web browsing which they refer to as ATT Internet Preferences.  If you opt out the price is $109(vs. $80) for 300Mbps and $139(vs. $109) for 1Gps.  In addition the monthly cap is 500GB for the 300Mbps and 1Tb for the 1Gps speeds with $10 per addl 50GB.  I imagine for some folks these monthly caps may be to low.

From ATT website:

The web pages you visit, the time you spend on each, the links or ads you see and follow, and the search terms you enter. We won't collect information from secure (https) or otherwise encrypted sites, such as when you enter your credit card to buy something online or do online banking on a secure site.

AT&T Internet Preferences works independently of your browser's privacy settings regarding cookies, do-not-track, and private browsing. If you opt in to AT&T Internet Preferences, we'll still be able to collect and use your web browsing information independently of those settings.

Note that Cox 100mbps has very slow upload speeds (under 10 mbps) while Uverse 300mbps has 300mbps upload as well. If you have Uverse TV the data cap will no longer apply.

paperboyNC said:
Logik said:

From ATT website:

Note that Cox 100mbps has very slow upload speeds (under 10 mbps) while Uverse 300mbps has 300mbps upload as well. If you have Uverse TV the data cap will no longer apply.

I guess I never have a need for super high upload speed. 

I also don't have paid TV right now so the UVerse TV thing is not appealing.

Google Fiber is now available to certain Irvine Company apartment communities and small businesses.

Hopefully the roll-out goes smoothly and is available to more communities in the coming months.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-08-02 at 10.58.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-08-02 at 10.58.57 AM.png
    25.4 KB · Views: 372
HomeOwner Irvine said:
Google Fiber is now available to certain Irvine Company apartment communities and small businesses.

Hopefully the roll-out goes smoothly and is available to more communities in the coming months.

I got the same update by email today.

If you live in Irvine please check your address eligibility and leave your email to express interest:
https://fiber.google.com/about/

OC Register Article:
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/google-724326-irvine-fiber.html

====================================
Google Fiber coming to Irvine apartments, businesses

By TOMOYA SHIMURA
2016-08-02 10:05:40

IRVINE ? Irvine apartment residents and businesses will likely be the first in Southern California to enjoy Google Fiber, a high-speed network provided by tech giant Google.

Google announced Tuesday that it has teamed up with Irvine Co. to bring the gigabit network to apartment, commercial and retail properties in Irvine. The two companies are deciding which properties will receive the service, said Pete Albers, Google Fiber?s head of real estate partnerships.

?We?re planning to begin work installing our infrastructure in buildings in the next month with the goal of delivering Google Fiber service in the coming months,? Albers said in an email. ?This work does take time, but we?ll move as quickly as we?re able, and the infrastructure investments Irvine Co. has made allow us to significantly speed up our time-to-deployment.?

Irvine Co. has been installing empty conduit between and in its properties since the mid-1980s, so the master planner could one day deliver future technology, according to its news release. This infrastructure was a key to bringing Google Fiber to Irvine, the release stated.

?We weren?t sure exactly what the future would hold, but we wanted to be ready for it,? Timothy McClain, Irvine Co. vice president of technology and innovation, said in the release.

Google is also working with the city and other real estate owners and developers to bring the service to other types of buildings, such as single-family homes, Albers said.

The company?s Google Fiber division announced in September that it added Irvine, a city known for its tech industry and educated and affluent residents, to its list of possible expansion cities.

Google Fiber offers broadband speeds up to 1 gigabit, or 1000 megabits, per second. That means downloading a movie in seconds, rather than minutes (or longer).

The average internet connection speed in the United States is about 15 megabits, according to Akamai Technologies? State of the Internet report.

Google Fiber is currently available in Atlanta, Austin in Texas, Kansas City in Missouri and Kansas, Provo and Salt Lake City in Utah, Charlotte, N.C., and Nashville, Tenn. Prices are $50 per month for 100 megabits internet, $70 for 1 gigabit internet and $130 for internet and cable TV.

Google already has a presence in Irvine with an office at 19510 Jamboree Road. The office houses Google?s engineering and sales teams working on Google Analytics, as well as a suite of revenue and reporting projects that underpin the AdWords platform, according to the company website.

Irvine residents can visit fiber.google.com/cities/irvine to get the latest information on Google Fiber.

Contact the writer: 949-445-6397 or tshimura@ocregister.com

====================================

who cares about the apts. When is it coming to all the new housing development TIC has done in the last 5 years?

Hope Google Fiber for rest of Irvine is still going ahead. 
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/go...ly-cable-plans-looking-to-wireless-2016-08-14

Google Fiber rethinking its costly cable plans, looking to wireless

Alphabet Inc.?s GOOGL, +0.10% Google Fiber unit is rethinking how to deliver internet connections in about a dozen metro areas, including Los Angeles, Chicago and Dallas, after its initial rollouts proved more time-consuming and expensive than anticipated, according to people familiar with the company?s plans. In San Jose, Calif., and Portland, Ore., Alphabet has suspended projects while investigating alternate technologies.

In most cases, Google Fiber is hoping to use wireless technology to connect homes rather than underground fiber-optic cables, according to a person familiar with the matter. Elsewhere, Google is leasing existing fiber or asking cities or power companies to build the networks.

The strategy shift comes after Google Fiber reached just six metro areas in four years, illustrating the difficulty and expense of digging up streets and laying thousands of miles of cables.

Woodbridge area probably told Google to get the hell out of here, like they did with AT&T when it wanted to put in real high speed internet.

lnc said:
Hope Google Fiber for rest of Irvine is still going ahead. 
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/go...ly-cable-plans-looking-to-wireless-2016-08-14

Google Fiber rethinking its costly cable plans, looking to wireless

Alphabet Inc.?s GOOGL, +0.10% Google Fiber unit is rethinking how to deliver internet connections in about a dozen metro areas, including Los Angeles, Chicago and Dallas, after its initial rollouts proved more time-consuming and expensive than anticipated, according to people familiar with the company?s plans. In San Jose, Calif., and Portland, Ore., Alphabet has suspended projects while investigating alternate technologies.

In most cases, Google Fiber is hoping to use wireless technology to connect homes rather than underground fiber-optic cables, according to a person familiar with the matter. Elsewhere, Google is leasing existing fiber or asking cities or power companies to build the networks.

The strategy shift comes after Google Fiber reached just six metro areas in four years, illustrating the difficulty and expense of digging up streets and laying thousands of miles of cables.

might be a bit easier in Irvine as they already have the pipes for this sort of upgrade. 

Back