Google Fiber coming to Irvine

djnick said:
how do we get on the waiting list or sign up? I just signed a 2 year with cox but i'll pay any penalty to get google fiber

were still at least a year out.. that's if/when Irvine approves Google to do whatever they want.

And they're hiring. 
There's a couple google fiber related postings on their job site

Man it would be exciting once it comes in.. bye bye Cox and your sky high prices.. F Uverse and it's "newer technology yet lower speeds". 

Hope they allow it here.  Many parts of Irvine can't get real ATT Uverse.  They are stuck with fake Uverse which is pretty terrible and slow. 

Real Uverse is pretty great.  It's only available where their TV packages are available.  It's not as fast as Cox, good enough.  Not a fan of the increasing cost of Cox for internet.

riznick said:
Hope they allow it here.  Many parts of Irvine can't get real ATT Uverse.  They are stuck with fake Uverse which is pretty terrible and slow. 

Real Uverse is pretty great.  It's only available where their TV packages are available.  It's not as fast as Cox, good enough.  Not a fan of the increasing cost of Cox for internet.
[/quote

What is real and what is fake?  A few of my friends out here PS and SG have TV service.. their uVerse internet sucked.  Switched to Cox. 

Portola Springs should be real uverse.  What was bad about the internet?  Was it not getting advertised speeds?

How about the tv service?

I can't help but wonder if the uverse bans to in the other parts of Irvine affect things.

riznick said:
Portola Springs should be real uverse.  What was bad about the internet?  Was it not getting advertised speeds?

How about the tv service?

I can't help but wonder if the uverse bans to in the other parts of Irvine affect things.

Their max speed was about 20. Couldn't get anything faster.

In my experience you are lucky to get 20-25 mbps with U-Verse. It's distant dependent, I know many who are stuck at 5-6 mbps.

SubSolar said:
In my experience you are lucky to get 20-25 mbps with U-Verse. It's distant dependent, I know many who are stuck at 5-6 mbps.

Right.. I think that's what happened.  The highest advertised package was around 20.. but he was only getting half that.  He would often get annoyed because simple streaming videos online kept pausing.. these were just clips like on ESPN. 

jmoney74 said:
SubSolar said:

Right.. I think that's what happened.  The highest advertised package was around 20.. but he was only getting half that.  He would often get annoyed because simple streaming videos online kept pausing.. these were just clips like on ESPN.

Yeah, they will give you the theoretical maximum but it's not a good prediction. DSL and U-Verse are the worst in my experience. Cable and FIOS the best.

I had many clients move forced to move from AT&T DSL to U-Verse and things actually got worse. So bad they couldn't even keep a reliable connection at 3 mbps.

SubSolar said:
That's the fake u-verse.  Usually TV isn't available with fake uverse.  It's pretty much AT&T DSL which is one of the worst.

I never had problems with the 20Mbps uverse.  The TV was way better than what Cox had to offer (quality and features).  Optimally, I'd use Cox for internet and Uverse for TV.  The next best thing is Cox for internet and DirecTv for TV.  That said, Cox internet is too expensive. 

riznick said:
SubSolar said:
That's the fake u-verse.  Usually TV isn't available with fake uverse.  It's pretty much AT&T DSL which is one of the worst.

I never had problems with the 20Mbps uverse.  The TV was way better than what Cox had to offer (quality and features).  Optimally, I'd use Cox for internet and Uverse for TV.  The next best thing is Cox for internet and DirecTv for TV.  That said, Cox internet is too expensive.

Well, U-Verse was supposed to be a competitor to Verizon FIOS but it pales in comparison. 20 mbps isn't even what the government considers "broadband!" I have Cox for Internet and DirecTV for TV now. Cox isn't that bad on price, I get around 120 mbps for $70 I think. Supposedly $99 for gigabit when it comes out. Although I'll probably ditch both for Google Fiber which in other areas has been $70 for Internet and $130 for Internet+TV.

SubSolar said:
Cox isn't that bad on price, I get around 120 mbps for $70 I think.
$70 is a lot, though.  The prices have slowly crept up from $30 to $40 to $50 to $70.  Yes it's 120Mbps, but I'd be happy with 30Mbps.  Netflix says it uses 5Mbps per HD stream. 

I'm not sure how noticeable the benefit is of going from 30Mbps to 120Mbps unless you are doing torrents or UltraHD streams.  $50/mo seems quite reasonable to me.

SubSolar said:
Supposedly $99 for gigabit when it comes out. Although I'll probably ditch both for Google Fiber which in other areas has been $70 for Internet and $130 for Internet+TV.
I'd consider that if it has the channels I like in HD.  I expect it all to be HD.

Cox is pricey and more expensive than say twc.  Cant wait for fiber.

riznick said:
SubSolar said:
Cox isn't that bad on price, I get around 120 mbps for $70 I think.
$70 is a lot, though.  The prices have slowly crept up from $30 to $40 to $50 to $70.  Yes it's 120Mbps, but I'd be happy with 30Mbps.  Netflix says it uses 5Mbps per HD stream. 

I'm not sure how noticeable the benefit is of going from 30Mbps to 120Mbps unless you are doing torrents or UltraHD streams.  $50/mo seems quite reasonable to me.

SubSolar said:
Supposedly $99 for gigabit when it comes out. Although I'll probably ditch both for Google Fiber which in other areas has been $70 for Internet and $130 for Internet+TV.
I'd consider that if it has the channels I like in HD.  I expect it all to be HD.

Well, you're supposed to have 25 mbps for each 4k stream. I have one 4K TV and two 4K monitors. Another 4K TV by end of year for the bedroom coming. Also everyone plays online video games and streams to iPads and laptops. But I'd say after say 100 to 150 mbps, the rest is just bragging rights, like having a 1,000 horsepower car.

But if you're already paying $70 for 120 mbps, why wouldn't you want 1,000 mbps for $0 to $30 more a month?

anybody got an update on this?

unbelievable..  my buddy accidentally typed in the wrong CC number for his payment with a new credit card.. Cox charged him $25.  He called in and they told him a lot of companies do this.  the f? 

jmoney74 said:
anybody got an update on this?

unbelievable..  my buddy accidentally typed in the wrong CC number for his payment with a new credit card.. Cox charged him $25.  He called in and they told him a lot of companies do this.  the f? 

Cox is monopolized theft.  When you call them for a credit they will instead double the charge and say it was done by mistake, then when you try to get that credited their system will keep declining it.

Saw some guys working on measuring the underground conduits.  They have been tasked to provide drawings of the underground lines in various neighborhoods.  They have done Woodbury, Stonegate and NW2 so far.  These conduits could be used to run fiber through them. 

The worker I spoke to is a field worker so I am making my own assumptions.

Back