Google Fiber coming to Irvine

Let's see, what's the phrasing they use? Oh yeah ?people familiar with the matter?... I wouldn't expect the residential to be connected in the near future. There's a clear initial partnership with Irvine Company Apartments at first.

So for now, I am looking at AT&T Gigapower FTTH.

jmoney74 said:
by limited.. where is that going to be?

Educated guess is that they stick with their original announcement and go no further: TIC rental apartments and commercial buildings.
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/google-724326-irvine-fiber.html

Here is an update from the Irvine Google Fiber page:
https://fiber.google.com/cities/irvine/

"We?ve begun working with city leaders to explore the possibility of building a super fast network for Irvine. This means understanding local requirements and challenges?from roads and infrastructure to permits and utility paths. We?re also working to connect some apartments and businesses near existing fiber infrastructure, starting with Irvine Company? properties.

We?d love to keep you updated on our progress. Check your address to be among the first to know when we have more to share."

I also checked out their WebPass service. It appears targeted at multi unit buildings (at least 10 units). Not sure if this technology is cost effective to deploy in a less dense neighborhood.
https://webpass.net

This is not looking good for future competition.

just had att fiber installed in OH.  it's very fast.  1gb down and up.  it's dropped a few times already though.  through directv, i got it for $80 a month.

It would be nice if the Woodbridge area residents would stop fighting AT&T from upgrading it's internet speeds.  Maybe we wouldn't be stuck with Cox as the only option.  Fake uverse(dsl) is turd.

My parents had spotty AT&T DSL service up until i switched them to Time-Warner using a cable line.  It's now stable and works much better. 

zubs said:
My parents had spotty AT&T DSL service up until i switched them to Time-Warner using a cable line.  It's now stable and works much better.

Yeah DSL and Uverse are distant dependent so if you're on the edge of the maximum distance it will be slow and could be unstable.

Some people in Woodbury and Cypress Village are saying they already have Google Fiber installed on Nextdoor.

it says coming to apartments and condos in orange county.  does that mean no SFRs ever?

I thought Google basically put a stop to any expansion and was reanalyzing how they were going to roll out fiber (due to the high cost of putting it in).  I thought essentially some businesses and apartments were mainly going to be the recipients (but no wide scale Irvine adoption was imminent). 

Bullsback said:
I thought Google basically put a stop to any expansion and was reanalyzing how they were going to roll out fiber (due to the high cost of putting it in).  I thought essentially some businesses and apartments were mainly going to be the recipients (but no wide scale Irvine adoption was imminent). 

I also remember articles mentioning use of high speed wireless technology as a cheaper alternative to fiber. But if they spread beyond IAC apartments that would be a new development. Does anyone on Nextdoor know if those new customers are in SFH?

Google Fiber event this Saturday, September 15th

Dear Resident,

Google Fiber is rolling out super fast Internet and TV service in Orchard Hills! Service is currently available for homes in Corta Bella, Vista Scena, and Entrata and will become available for Strada and Terrazza next month. 

The Google Fiber team is holding an event for Corta Bella, Vista Scena, and Entrata residents this Saturday, September 15th, from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm on the lawn at Orchard Terrace Park. Local representatives will be available to answer questions about this new Internet and TV option for the community. Breakfast from the Waffle-icious truck and family activities from Twist & Shout will be provided while supplies last.

Date: September 15, 2018
Time: 9:00a-12:00pm
Featuring: Breakfast by the Waffle-icious waffle truck and face painting/balloon artistry by Twist & Shout

Stay tuned for another event announcement for Strada and Terrazza residents in October!
Google Fiber means enough Internet for everyone at home. Learn more at google.com/fiber/oc or contact the team below:

Call us at (844) 37-FIBER
Email us at orchard-hills@google.com
Visit us at 325 Clinton St, Costa Mesa

Back