Google Fiber coming to Irvine

We've been on Google Fiber for a little over a year, now. Always get near advertised download and upload speeds at all times, plus super low latency. We've only had one outage from what I can tell.

Awesome service, way better than Cox.

Here's a speed test result from when we first moved in:
https://imgur.com/a/WeARJBk

Paying $55/month for Google fiber with 500 mbps download.  No contract (month to month) and they provide hardware.  ATT fiber said they offer $40/month for 1000 mbps download (twice as fast as Google).  Also no contract (month to month) and they provide hardware.  Anyone tried ATT fiber can comment how they like it compared to Google fiber?

irvineboy said:
Paying $55/month for Google fiber with 500 mbps download.  No contract (month to month) and they provide hardware.  ATT fiber said they offer $40/month for 1000 mbps download (twice as fast as Google).  Also no contract (month to month) and they provide hardware.  Anyone tried ATT fiber can comment how they like it compared to Google fiber?

ATT fiber has been good to me, speeds as advertised when wired up.  Both my wife and I work from home once or twice a week and cannot remember when we had an outage in the past 2+ years.

akkord said:
irvineboy said:

ATT fiber has been good to me, speeds as advertised when wired up.  Both my wife and I work from home once or twice a week and cannot remember when we had an outage in the past 2+ years.

How much are you paying?  The fine print is that the $39.99/month price jumps to $59.99/month after the promotional 12 month period.  I believe they also start charging $10/month for hardware so it essentially becomes the same price as google fiber after the first year.

Nevermind I cancelled the appointment as ATT failed to tell me that there is an extra $10/month for hardware.  Original rep lied about not having additional costs.  Also failed to mention that the price increases to $70 after the first year.  Don't like surprises so not going to try ATT.

akkord said:
irvineboy said:

Except the last 2 days when many websites routed through AT&T in southern California came back unresponsive. Twitter, LinkedIn, etc etc.

Either way I still like AT&T Fiber versus the alternative for me. Plus I haggled them down to $40/month for gigabit. Probably an error though but it's been almost 8 months at that rate.

Any Google Fiber customers on TI?

I just had it installed recently. Everything went smoothly on the install but I'm so far disappointed by the download speeds: ~mid 600 mbps. Upload around mid 800 range. Is this normal? What happened to gigabit or near gigabit speed? This is more of a theoretical problem since I currently use a WiFi-5 system (will upgrade to a WiFi-6 system soon) but still disappointing.

iacrenter said:

I just had it installed recently. Everything went smoothly on the install but I'm so far disappointed by the download speeds: ~mid 600 mbps. Upload around mid 800 range. Is this normal? What happened to gigabit or near gigabit speed? This is more of a theoretical problem since I currently use a WiFi-5 system (will upgrade to a WiFi-6 system soon) but still disappointing.

What area are you? I have AT&T Fiber Giga and actually achieve near 1000 Mbps when hardwired into my switch.

Cares said:
iacrenter said:

What area are you? I have AT&T Fiber Giga and actually achieve near 1000 Mbps when hardwired into my switch.

Okay my bad. I finally hardwired into the google fiber box and ran the speed tests again. Better results this time: Upload and Download ~ 875 mbps. Still not quite 1 gig but better.

marmott said:
Iacrenter, is that the bandwidth on wifi?

I would wait before upgrading to a wifi 6 routeur:https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/g0mc0l/the_wifi_alliance_is_issuing_wifi_6_certification/

That initial speed test was run through the google wifi app. I have a Google Wifi Mesh system. It was supposed to measure internet speed coming into the wifi router. I don?t think it was an accurate reflection of the speed compared to running the test via Ethernet.

The biggest bottle neck in the house is now my wifi. I only have a couple devices that support wifi 6 but plan to get more over time. I just feel like it would be a waste of my ISP speed if I don?t upgrade.

Realistically, how much bandwidth does each device need?

What's more important is how much total bandwidth can all your devices use at the same time.

irvinehomeowner said:
Realistically, how much bandwidth does each device need?

What's more important is how much total bandwidth can all your devices use at the same time.

Posting to TI in 8K takes up a lot of bandwidth :)

If 1 gig is still not fast enough for you, don't worry Google Fiber is starting to test 2 GB plans for $100/mo! Should be rolled out to all fiber cities in 2021.
https://arstechnica.com/information...-2gbps-plus-wi-fi-6-router-and-mesh-extender/

Sign up here if you are interested in testing out the service later this year (need to be an existing fiber customer):
https://fiber.google.com/blog/2020/...with-the-google-fiber-trusted-tester-program/

Sign here if you want to be notified when it becomes available:
https://fiber.google.com/2gig/

If you are on WiFi how close to those speeds can one get? I have the Cox 1gb plan and the most I get on a laptop using WiFi and orbi mesh router/satellites is around 300 mps. On uploads I do get the full 30 mps that cox advertises.

Perhaps this WiFi6 and new hardware changes the ability to get better download speeds on WiFi?

The Google pricing is great. I pay $100 for the 1gb plan and then an extra $50 for unlimited data. So $150/month for internet. Been waiting for the home 5G from Att or Verizon but that isn?t available yet.

$150 for unlimited 1gb? That's expensive.

I'm paying $50 for AT&T Fiber 1gb with no data caps or router fees. Granted I negotiated it down but standard is I believe $60-$80 for it.

Cares said:
$150 for unlimited 1gb? That's expensive.

I'm paying $50 for AT&T Fiber 1gb with no data caps or router fees. Granted I negotiated it down but standard is I believe $60-$80 for it.

Free HBOMax too with ATT 1GB!  I'm only $10 off for gigabit, but I get $60 off a month for Uverse TV too and free wireless receiver.  It was $64 off previously but when it expired $60 off was best they could do and wouldnt budge on the gigabit and tough to pull the I'm going to cancel now bluff with WFH. 

Back