EV/Plug-in/Other vehicles

What type of alternative fuel car are you buying in the near future?

• All electric (EV) car, luxury over $50k like Tesla

Votes: 27 54.0%
  • EV car but lower priced less than $40k like Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf, Hyundai Ioniq

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Plug-in Hybrid (Chevy Volt, Kia Niro, Honda Clarity)

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Hydrogen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 7 14.0%

• Total voters
Bill was signed into law, and as I mentioned, any non-domestic PHEV/EV delivered/contracted after 8/15/22 gets hosed out of the up to $7500 Fed credit:
https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/plug-in-electric-drive-vehicle-credit-section-30d

New Final Assembly Requirement
If you are interested in claiming the tax credit available under section 30D (EV credit) for purchasing a new electric vehicle after August 16, 2022 (which is the date that the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 was enacted), a tax credit is generally available only for qualifying electric vehicles for which final assembly occurred in North America (final assembly requirement).

The Department of Energy has provided a list of Model Year 2022 and early Model Year 2023 electric vehicles that may meet the final assembly requirement. Because some models are built in multiple locations, there may be vehicles on the Department of Energy list that do not meet the final assembly requirement in all circumstances.

To identify the manufacture location for a specific vehicle, please search the vehicle identification number (VIN) of the vehicle on the VIN Decoder website for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). The website, including instructions, can be found at VIN Decoder 1.

Transition Rule for Vehicles Purchased before August 16, 2022
If you entered into a written binding contract to purchase a new qualifying electric vehicle before August 16, 2022, but do not take possession of the vehicle until on or after August 16, 2022 (for example, because the vehicle has not been delivered), you may claim the EV credit based on the rules that were in effect before August 16, 2022. The final assembly requirement does not apply before August 16, 2022.

Vehicles Purchased and Delivered between August 16, 2022 and December 31, 2022
If you purchase and take possession of a qualifying electric vehicle after August 16, 2022 and before January 1, 2023, aside from the final assembly requirement, the rules in effect before the enactment of the Inflation Reduction Act for the EV credit apply (including those involving the manufacturing caps on vehicles sold). If you entered into a written binding contract to purchase a new qualifying vehicle before August 16, 2022, see the rule above.

Here's the list of vehicles that still meet the final assembly requirement and if have not met the sales cap, can still qualify for the Fed credit until end of 2022:
https://afdc.energy.gov/laws/inflation-reduction-act

The Taycan that I have on order is coming from a state where my $10k deposit is actually called a down payment and is non-refundable per the contract so as long as I pay for the car before 12/31/22 I'm grandfathered in. 

USCTrojanCPA said:
The Taycan that I have on order is coming from a state where my $10k deposit is actually called a down payment and is non-refundable per the contract so as long as I pay for the car before 12/31/22 I'm grandfathered in.

Yeah, I think you?re good. If you want a real sports car EV, get the Plaid Model S? except for that yoke steering wheel. :)

irvinehomeowner said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

Yeah, I think you?re good. If you want a real sports car EV, get the Plaid Model S? except for that yoke steering wheel. :)

I have to keep buying non-GT cars to get GT allocations at MSRP.  ;)

irvinehomeowner said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

In the market for a Model X but I am not a fan of the yoke. A steering wheel retrofit is approx $2k with a 3rd party. Really wish Tesla would make it an option to get the regular steering wheel.

I will be driving over the dead EVs in my Bronco when we escape the Big One?

Electric Vehicles May Present Major Problem During Natural Disaster Evacuations

A report from Transportation Research published in ScienceDirect headlined ?Can we evacuate from hurricanes with electric vehicles?? found that Florida?which often bears the force of hurricanes?may not have enough power to cope during an evacuation.
Roxanne Peterson and Mohamed Awwad of the Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering Department at California Polytechnic State University?point out, ?Short-notice evacuations, such as those caused by wildfires and earthquakes, may lead to stall-outs, resulting in increased traffic and accidents.?

According to the case study, EVs have a range of 100 to 200 miles, and full recharging can take anywhere from three to 12 hours. Fast charging is quicker, but still takes up to 30 minutes.

In the case of an emergency evacuation charging delays ?can create serious problems in evacuations? leading to increased traffic and traveling delays as EVs potentially block lanes.

The report said, ?California?s two main natural disasters are earthquakes and wildfires.

?Both are short-notice events that have the potential to knock out the power grid with no warning, making it especially difficult, if not impossible, to charge a Battery Electric Vehicle (BEV).

?More than 2 million properties in California are at extreme risk from wildfires, making up about half of all properties at extreme risk from wildfires.?
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1361920920306453

morekaos said:

A report from Transportation Research published in ScienceDirect headlined ?Can we evacuate from hurricanes with electric vehicles?? found that Florida?which often bears the force of hurricanes?may not have enough power to cope during an evacuation.
Roxanne Peterson and Mohamed Awwad of the Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering Department at California Polytechnic State University?point out, ?Short-notice evacuations, such as those caused by wildfires and earthquakes, may lead to stall-outs, resulting in increased traffic and accidents.?

According to the case study, EVs have a range of 100 to 200 miles, and full recharging can take anywhere from three to 12 hours. Fast charging is quicker, but still takes up to 30 minutes.

In the case of an emergency evacuation charging delays ?can create serious problems in evacuations? leading to increased traffic and traveling delays as EVs potentially block lanes.

The report said, ?California?s two main natural disasters are earthquakes and wildfires.

?Both are short-notice events that have the potential to knock out the power grid with no warning, making it especially difficult, if not impossible, to charge a Battery Electric Vehicle (BEV).

?More than 2 million properties in California are at extreme risk from wildfires, making up about half of all properties at extreme risk from wildfires.?

Ha ha, this is true. If we hit a 8 or higher on the scale, you bet there will be major disruption to ultilities services.

Now I am really thinking if it is all that good with EV.

Compressed-Village said:
morekaos said:

Ha ha, this is true. If we hit a 8 or higher on the scale, you bet there will be major disruption to ultilities services.

Now I am really thinking if it is all that good with EV.

That's why it's always good to keep an ICE car in the garage.  ;)

qhrenter said:
Access to gasoline would never be disrupted during and/after a natural disaster, right?

How you gonna charge your dead Tesla on the 405 in a traffic jam? I think lugging a gallon of gas up there is a bit easier. ;D :D >:D

how you gonna lug a gallon of gas when the pumps don't work

for ev's, you can buy a portable solar that slow charge if all the grid goes down :) :) :)

I got a 375 gallon reserve tank of fuel on my boat that I keep full, additionally most of my cars usually have a lot of gas in them so I?m not too worried

It could happen.  Actually, it will happen.  The question is this year, next year, 10,000 years from now or any other year in between.

In the thirty years I've live here it has happened exactly, zero times.  I think Northridge had some pump and power disruptions for a few days, otherwise, very localized. Bid challenge was the morning commute the next day as all of Southern California went about normal day without a major freeway.

So yea, EVs evacuating hundreds of miles out of Miami might have a problem.  Or might have less of a problem as the gas station tend to pump dry and as long as they go before the storm hits, charging isn't a problem.

As for a fire, pure garbage, they aren't evacuating hundreds of miles, 20 , maybe 30 is typical.

AW said:
who's worried about anything?

portable solar can charge as long as there's sunlight

Moreover, while hurricanes usually have advanced warnings, fires and earthquakes often don?t, as pointed out in ?The Use of Electric Cars in Short-Notice Evacuations: A Case Study of California?s Natural Disasters.?
Further, the case studies? authors?Roxanne Peterson and Mohamed Awwad of the Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering Department at California Polytechnic State University?point out, ?Short-notice evacuations, such as those caused by wildfires and earthquakes, may lead to stall-outs, resulting in increased traffic and accidents.?

As batteries drained and needed to recharge, however, the simulation showed concerning results.
?When the exodus reached inland Florida and batteries are depleted, the power service companies there would face enormous electricity pressure, and the EV power demand would rapidly exceed their safety margins.?
Indeed, the report found that some power companies would experience a power shortage of 400 megawatts to 1000MW, meaning between 35 to 45 percent of vehicles would receive power, and 55 to 65 percent wouldn?t.
Further, while power companies in cities such as Tallahassee and Gainesville would initially be capable of supplying power, once demand on other grids surpassed supply, there would be a ?larger-scale cascading failure in the power network? lasting up to three days.

morekaos said:
AW said:
who's worried about anything?

portable solar can charge as long as there's sunlight

Moreover, while hurricanes usually have advanced warnings, fires and earthquakes often don?t, as pointed out in ?The Use of Electric Cars in Short-Notice Evacuations: A Case Study of California?s Natural Disasters.?
Further, the case studies? authors?Roxanne Peterson and Mohamed Awwad of the Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering Department at California Polytechnic State University?point out, ?Short-notice evacuations, such as those caused by wildfires and earthquakes, may lead to stall-outs, resulting in increased traffic and accidents.?

As batteries drained and needed to recharge, however, the simulation showed concerning results.
?When the exodus reached inland Florida and batteries are depleted, the power service companies there would face enormous electricity pressure, and the EV power demand would rapidly exceed their safety margins.?
Indeed, the report found that some power companies would experience a power shortage of 400 megawatts to 1000MW, meaning between 35 to 45 percent of vehicles would receive power, and 55 to 65 percent wouldn?t.
Further, while power companies in cities such as Tallahassee and Gainesville would initially be capable of supplying power, once demand on other grids surpassed supply, there would be a ?larger-scale cascading failure in the power network? lasting up to three days.
portable solar, as in, not connected to the grid.  it's using sunlight

not sure how far you'll go on your single digit mpg truck, while towing 375 gallons of fuel during an emergency...

As far as my family and I need to. Additionally, the boat serves as a fallback position. It is mobile, shelter, warmth, water, food, energy and weapons.

Back