EV/Plug-in/Other vehicles

What type of alternative fuel car are you buying in the near future?

• All electric (EV) car, luxury over $50k like Tesla

Votes: 27 54.0%
  • EV car but lower priced less than $40k like Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf, Hyundai Ioniq

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Plug-in Hybrid (Chevy Volt, Kia Niro, Honda Clarity)

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Hydrogen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 7 14.0%

• Total voters
marmott said:
OCtoSV said:
No one else can produce a profitable EV that even sniffs it for $64K.

Is it profitable or is it not? The Tesla propaganda is getting a little hard to read...  ;D

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/musk-says-teslas-new-car-factories-losing-billions-dollars-2022-06-22/
In April they delivered >2X the margin of the legacy domestics. Only Toyota comes close. Did you know they have exceeded the Toyota/GM output when the Fremont factory was the NUMMI jv? And doing that while having to bus workers in from Stockton.

VW has some hard choices to make around Porsche or they risk financial ruin with their EV strategy. There is no way they will have the volume to sustain a competitive high end EV lineup. The 911 was ubiquitous when I moved here in the 2000s but now you only see the occasional GT or lovingly cared for vintage air cooled 911 around - all sales consumed by Tesla. I NEVER see S class or 7 series on the road. Even Macans and Cayennes are much sparser after the Model Y was introduced. Lane Rovers however are quite popular up here.

Drawing 12.1 kw currently charging the Tesla with house AC at 74 - 2.6 from solar with the balance from PW. Feels so good to be off the grid and the gas station.

I'm looking forward to the EV Macan coming out.  The Taycan is just a stop gap (I'll probably pick up a Sport Turismo Taycan next year when there are more allocations) until the EV Macan starts selling in 2025.

OCtoSV said:
Drawing 12.1 kw currently charging the Tesla with house AC at 74 - 2.6 from solar with the balance from PW. Feels so good to be off the grid and the gas station.
One regret was not getting the power wall back then, old electric rates didn?t seem necessary, and thought PW would become more abundant, cheaper (or more efficient).  But not complaining since we?re still spending way less than without solar overall. 

USCTrojanCPA said:
I'm looking forward to the EV Macan coming out.  The Taycan is just a stop gap (I'll probably pick up a Sport Turismo Taycan next year when there are more allocations) until the EV Macan starts selling in 2025.

I doubt an EV Macan sees the light of day - no profit $$ and with Germany about to go into a major recession from Uncle Vlad's gas cuts I seriously doubt Porsche will even hit their ICE volume numbers, which is what subsidizes their laughable EV strategy. The Taycan is a wonderful car, but the lack of a Tesla SC network will inhibit volume, meaning they'll never be profitable building EVs unless they sell them for $200K.

OCtoSV said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

I doubt an EV Macan sees the light of day - no profit $$ and with Germany about to go into a major recession from Uncle Vlad's gas cuts I seriously doubt Porsche will even hit their ICE volume numbers, which is what subsidizes their laughable EV strategy. The Taycan is a wonderful car, but the lack of a Tesla SC network will inhibit volume, meaning they'll never be profitable building EVs unless they sell them for $200K.

Ummm, Porsche is the most profitable car company in the world in terms of gross margins so they'll do just fine. They need to increase their EV line up for the very strict European emissions upcoming regulations and the Macan and Cayman are next up to the plate in the next 2-3 years. 

HMart said:
How hard is it to get a new Taycan wagon without ADM?

Almost impossible right now.  I got lucky and picking up an allocation for MSRP from someone who cancelled their purchase 5 days before the build locked so I was able to spec it to my taste. I couldn't even get an allocation from my dealer in Texas because they didn't have any allocations left and didn't know when more were coming in.

USCTrojanCPA said:
OCtoSV said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

Ummm, Porsche is the most profitable car company in the world in terms of gross margins so they'll do just fine. They need to increase their EV line up for the very strict European emissions upcoming regulations and the Macan and Cayman are next up to the plate in the next 2-3 years.

check your facts - Tesla latest OM was 19% whereas Porsche was 16.5%. But Porsche profits have to fund VW EV R&D, and they're bothj fighting a losing battle against Tesla. Toyota was always the most profitable until Tesla's recent pull-away. For a real deep dive into the numbers look here:
]https://inf.news/en/economy/8baaf4a0a40c0e1b8f8d74fe24919064.html[url][/url]

I keep providing data to show how ludicrous the competing EV business models are and no one provides any data to refute it. Tesla's head start on materials, software and EV-specific manufacturing are already turning out higher profit than Toyota or Porsche ICE product lines - let that sink in. I read yesterday the Ford CEO admitted the recent materials price increases have wiped out all profit on the Mach E. Only Toyota has a plan that can feasibly compete, and they've slow rowed full EV for a long time in favor of hybrid.

I love Porsches but there is no business rationale for VW to invest in a full blown EV strategy for Porsche. It would set them on a course to BK.

OCtoSV said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
OCtoSV said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

check your facts - Tesla latest OM was 19% whereas Porsche was 16.5%. But Porsche profits have to fund VW EV R&D, and they're bothj fighting a losing battle against Tesla. Toyota was always the most profitable until Tesla's recent pull-away. For a real deep dive into the numbers look here:
https://inf.news/en/economy/8baaf4a0a40c0e1b8f8d74fe24919064.html[url]]]https://inf.news/en/economy/8baaf4a0a40c0e1b8f8d74fe24919064.html[url][/url]

I keep providing data to show how ludicrous the competing EV business models are and no one provides any data to refute it. Tesla's head start on materials, software and EV-specific manufacturing are already turning out higher profit than Toyota or Porsche ICE product lines - let that sink in. I read yesterday the Ford CEO admitted the recent materials price increases have wiped out all profit on the Mach E. Only Toyota has a plan that can feasibly compete, and they've slow rowed full EV for a long time in favor of hybrid.

I love Porsches but there is no business rationale for VW to invest in a full blown EV strategy for Porsche. It would set them on a course to BK.

They don't have a choice, that's what governments in the EU and US are pushing for.  As long as I have those last ICE Porsche GT cars in my garage I'll be a happy camper.  :)

I don't understand how you can expect all traditional manufacturers to give up on their EV plans knowing it's their only way to survive past 10 to 15 years. They are not just going to close shop.

Not sure what was decided in the US but in Europe past 2035 all cars will need to be zero emission. They don't have a choice.

HMart said:
Cadillac Lyriq reviews out today. Looks like a good car. Anyone know a Cadillac dealer that would do it without ADM?

Anyone know *ANY* dealers selling EVs without markup?  I?ve been mostly looking for EV6 and Ioniq5 but every dealer has $4-$7k markup it seems.

Back