EV/Plug-in/Other vehicles

What type of alternative fuel car are you buying in the near future?

• All electric (EV) car, luxury over $50k like Tesla

Votes: 27 54.0%
  • EV car but lower priced less than $40k like Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf, Hyundai Ioniq

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Plug-in Hybrid (Chevy Volt, Kia Niro, Honda Clarity)

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Hydrogen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 7 14.0%

• Total voters
I figure I spend about $350/month on gas before I got the Tesla.
So if I can drive my Tesla for 10 years, I will have saved:
12X350X10=$42,000

My oldest car is from 2009 and has 175,000 miles on it, so I hope my Tesla can hold out for at least 10 years.

zubs said:
I figure I spend about $350/month on gas before I got the Tesla.
So if I can drive my Tesla for 10 years, I will have saved:
12X350X10=$42,000

Will it not cost money to charge your Tesla?

I bought solar panels a few years back. 
It seems to be offsetting the electrical charging so far.

I use to get a few hundred in credit from Edison.  I doubt that will happen now I'm charging at home.
The edison credit is shit.  You should always try to use up your extra electricity.

I put way more panels than I needed at the time of installation.

Free charging, well done!

Unfortunate about the change in utility credits.  I hear SCE is seeing their equipment is wearing faster due to residential solar, so they're trying to offset their increase in repairs/maintenance costs by altering various financial aspects of residential solar.

As you note, there seems to be a sweet spot for residential solar capacity.  There was probably a time when it made sense to have generation > usage, but given the many rate/tier/subsidy changes and potential future changes, it's not as easy as it used to be to achieve economically advantageous residential solar.

Good luck with your Tesla!

Porsche offers 3 free years of charging at the VW joint venture charging stations so I won't have to charge my Taycan at home all the time.

For $100K encompassing my new M3 Perf + Solar/PWs I have eliminated my electricity bill + gasoline expenditures while acquiring a car that is faster than a Porsche GT car without the headache from the engine, along with $10K up front from the tax credit. The only time i'll need to hit the Supercharger, which is pretty cheap compared to the EV chargers other brands must use, is for trips to SoCal or to the track at Laguna Seca to test out Track Mode.

This solid red GOP voter also gets to feel warm and fuzzy inside because I'm the greenest guy on this board.

USCTrojanCPA said:
Porsche offers 3 free years of charging at the VW joint venture charging stations so I won't have to charge my Taycan at home all the time.

So you're getting/got the Porsche EV? Such brand loyalty! :)

I think a fuel cell car makes more sense; it requires smaller battery, and it is also clean. We just need to figure out a way to be able to produce hydrogen economically using renewable energy. And hydrogen is the most abundant element in nature?

The California Court Company said:
I think a fuel cell car makes more sense; it requires smaller battery, and it is also clean. We just need to figure out a way to be able to produce hydrogen economically using renewable energy. And hydrogen is the most abundant element in nature?

Realistically speaking, your thinking about hydrogen is on par with inventing cold fusion. Works on theory but not practical?not gonna happen in any near future.

Ready2Downsize said:
aquabliss said:
Considering the Kia EV6 but the 2 quotes I?ve gotten (Cerritos and Irvine) were $5k-$7k over sticker.  At that point I?d rather just order the Model Y LR and wait it out, or maybe order a Nissan Ariya which supposedly won?t have dealer markup if you pre-order.

Also tried to pre-order the Audi Q4 E-Tron (the feature list is really good for the price), but dealer wouldn?t take pre-orders and just added me to a waiting list of 200+ so good luck getting one of those.

I'm not in the market for an EV, so not sure this would help but have you thought about maybe trying another state that has lower gas prices and lower EV sales to get a quote? Cali has the highest demand for EVs of any state.
I was reading somewhere (don't remember if it was on autoblog or reddit), about some couple drove 3 hours to some dealership (they mentioned the dealership name, it's not in Cali) for some EV since they got a quote over the phone w/o any markups/market adjustments, but when the arrived, they were bamboozled and dealership said they wouldn't sell at msrp. 

For non dealerships like Tesla (future ford ev's?), not sure if they can let you pick up from a different state when they have all the dmv paperwork all automated and filled out...

irvinehomeowner said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

So you're getting/got the Porsche EV? Such brand loyalty! :)

I'm waiting for my dealer to get more Taycan allocations before I can order one as they are sold out for now.  Yeah, all my cars are Porsches including buying non-GT cars so I can get GT cars at MSRP instead of paying 6 figure mark ups.  Been doing business with my Porsche dealer in Texas for over 6 years and have bought and traded in a total of 15 cars with them in that time.

So Cal dealers are worthless and why I buy my cars from a Texas dealer.  They treat me great and I trade back all of the cars that they sell me.

Usually on order, most dealers won't mark up.

What burns me is when they get an ordered vehicle, the customer decides not to take it, and then the dealer marks it up exorbitantly.

I saw this with the Ford Maverick, a ~$20k hybrid truck that dealers were marking up $10k... 50%!!!

EU is considering banning new combustion engine vehicles in 2035.
I think it will be lucrative business to collect gas powered sports cars like Ferrari, Porsche?

Back