EV/Plug-in/Other vehicles

What type of alternative fuel car are you buying in the near future?

• All electric (EV) car, luxury over $50k like Tesla

Votes: 27 54.0%
  • EV car but lower priced less than $40k like Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf, Hyundai Ioniq

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Plug-in Hybrid (Chevy Volt, Kia Niro, Honda Clarity)

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Hydrogen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 7 14.0%

• Total voters
irvinehomeowner said:
Needs to reserve now, long waits for Model Ys.

I?d recommend a Mach-E, Ioniq5, EV6 or even ID4? you still get the $7500 tax credit and an easier transition to an EV.

Forget Mach-E. Can't order 2022 models anymore. Have to wait for 2023 models.

irvinehomeowner said:

I?d recommend a Mach-E, Ioniq5, EV6 or even ID4? you still get the $7500 tax credit and an easier transition to an EV.

My wife is not very patient so we would pay the extra 5-6k for the performance to get it faster. Last time we checked it was about a 2 month wait.

I tried to push her towards the Mach e since that looks better - she said she would test drive it but as calbear pointed out, you can?t order it anymore. She said she would test drive the Ioniq 5 and EV6 as well.

Calbear - I think the Mach e is probably the best looking EV out there, very good looking car.

qwerty said:
irvinehomeowner said:

My wife is not very patient so we would pay the extra 5-6k for the performance to get it faster. Last time we checked it was about a 2 month wait.

I tried to push her towards the Mach e since that looks better - she said she would test drive it but as calbear pointed out, you can?t order it anymore. She said she would test drive the Ioniq 5 and EV6 as well.

Calbear - I think the Mach e is probably the best looking EV out there, very good looking car.

We would have paid for the Model 3 long range had we known that Tesla would delay delivery.

My wife wasn't that impressed with Mach-E's look, so I'll be driving it while she'll be driving the Model 3.

Actually, we ordered the Model 3 for her and then later I decided that I wanted to trade in my 2017 Prius Prime for the Mach-E. I've put 80k miles on the Prius Prime and battery efficiency has dropped quite a bit right now. Used to be able to get 27-31 miles per charge. Now only 24-26 miles per charge. I kind of decided on Mach-E because I still can get the $7500 rebate.

Seems like the Model Y performance is coming even quicker than quoted.  My co-worker ordered in March and was quoted May-June delivery and it already came mid April about 40 days after order was placed. 

aquabliss said:
Seems like the Model Y performance is coming even quicker than quoted.  My co-worker ordered in March and was quoted May-June delivery and it already came mid April about 40 days after order was placed. 

That's interesting. I know friends how have been waiting since last year and still haven't received their Ys. Not sure what configuration they ordered.

Looking at Tesla's site, looks like their most expensive models have the shortest wait time... surprise surprise. :)

If I were in the market for a Y, I?d just get the performance since the wait time is shorter and the difference between a non performance isn?t as much anymore.

Yup, they always deliver the higher cost trims quicker than the others. The demand is relatively less and their margins are greater. It just makes sense. I think the main drawback of the Performance models for most people (other than the price of course) is the larger wheels which provide a rougher ride, less mileage efficiency, and easier to damage. But an easy fix is to sell them and buy the standard wheels.

qwerty said:
I didn?t read the article but 12 year period of ownership doesn?t seem realistic - perhaps it is but I don?t know anyone with a car older than 7 years.

Also, it seems to be picking what are probably some of the cheapest EVs. Aren?t Teslas the most dominant/best selling EVs?

I?d be curious to see what the numbers look like with Teslas.

Still not ready for prime time!!

We've stuck to cars for about 10 years, it's worked reasonably well as a strategy.

My oldest running cars are 28 and 29 years old.  I've had them for 16 and 19 years, respectively.  Others I've had longer and are older, but probably only have 1 trip left in them to the scrapyard.  I've only ever bought used cars.  As a young adult I would buy my first car and truck well used, at 9 years old each.  The age and miles have generally gone down at each successive purchase as life progressed, but I don't think I will ever buy a new car.  My newest vehicle was purhased as a 1 year lease return 2 1/2 years ago.  I fully expect to be driving it well into retirement. 

Tesla order wait list hack - the wifey and I had a nice lunch at Santana Row today and stopped by the Tesla showroom on the way back to the parking garage. They will sell you one of the showroom models used for test drives for immediate delivery, for full price. They had a M3 Performance that had zero miles on it, just people having sat in it. I snapped up that bad boy and will take delivery after the factory sanitization process next week.

zovall said:
Yup, they always deliver the higher cost trims quicker than the others. The demand is relatively less and their margins are greater. It just makes sense. I think the main drawback of the Performance models for most people (other than the price of course) is the larger wheels which provide a rougher ride, less mileage efficiency, and easier to damage. But an easy fix is to sell them and buy the standard wheels.

It seems like most people upgrade the long range to the bigger wheels anyhow.  I?d say about 75% of the Model Y?s I see in Irvine have the bigger wheels.  The performance large wheels vs. the long range large wheels look different so you can mostly tell the model that way.  Also I guess the Performance sits lower (didn?t realize that until recently), but I actually prefer the feeling of sitting higher.

daedalus said:
My oldest running cars are 28 and 29 years old.  I've had them for 16 and 19 years, respectively.  Others I've had longer and are older, but probably only have 1 trip left in them to the scrapyard.  I've only ever bought used cars.  As a young adult I would buy my first car and truck well used, at 9 years old each.  The age and miles have generally gone down at each successive purchase as life progressed, but I don't think I will ever buy a new car.  My newest vehicle was purhased as a 1 year lease return 2 1/2 years ago.  I fully expect to be driving it well into retirement.

Impressive, if your cars still drive well, and low on the maintainance keep it as long as you can. Even if it's old still a heck lot cheaper than getting a new EV for gas money saving at the end of the day.

Considering the Kia EV6 but the 2 quotes I?ve gotten (Cerritos and Irvine) were $5k-$7k over sticker.  At that point I?d rather just order the Model Y LR and wait it out, or maybe order a Nissan Ariya which supposedly won?t have dealer markup if you pre-order.

Also tried to pre-order the Audi Q4 E-Tron (the feature list is really good for the price), but dealer wouldn?t take pre-orders and just added me to a waiting list of 200+ so good luck getting one of those.

It's funny to consider that the Tesla Y is now a commodity car at $65,000 out the door.
I don't feel special when I drive it...because everyone else in CA has one.

I only feel good when I pass gas stations...LOL

Cars don't do it for me as my other car is a Toyota Sienna ....for that awesome 8 passenger sliding door action.

aquabliss said:
Considering the Kia EV6 but the 2 quotes I?ve gotten (Cerritos and Irvine) were $5k-$7k over sticker.  At that point I?d rather just order the Model Y LR and wait it out, or maybe order a Nissan Ariya which supposedly won?t have dealer markup if you pre-order.

I like the EV6, but I like the Ioniq5 more (same platform). I think Tustin Hyundai advertises no dealer markups on CarProUSA (radio show on Saturday morning).

As much as I like our Y, if I were buying today, I would get something other than the Y... 1) For the tax credit and 2) For the more ICE-like experience with a driver display and physical controls.

Even at $5-$7k over, you are still getting Fed and State money back so it should wash.

Also tried to pre-order the Audi Q4 E-Tron (the feature list is really good for the price), but dealer wouldn?t take pre-orders and just added me to a waiting list of 200+ so good luck getting one of those.

Same story I got. It was supposed to come out end of last year but they delayed it to end of this year.

The 2023 Bolt is actually priced lower than current model by about $6k depending on which one you get:
https://insideevs.com/news/589557/chevrolet-2023-bolt-ev-euv-pricing/

I prefer the EUV over the EV as it's bigger but haven't sat in the EUV to see how much bigger.

The VW ID.Buzz minivan is rumored to be over $70k when it comes out.

aquabliss said:
Ariya preorders closed days ago.

aquabliss said:

I'm not in the market for an EV, so not sure this would help but have you thought about maybe trying another state that has lower gas prices and lower EV sales to get a quote? Cali has the highest demand for EVs of any state.

Ready2Downsize said:
aquabliss said:

I'm not in the market for an EV, so not sure this would help but have you thought about maybe trying another state that has lower gas prices and lower EV sales to get a quote? Cali has the highest demand for EVs of any state.

Bingo, I buy all my Porsche from a dealer in Texas because the Porsche dealer in CA are stealerships.  I am waiting for new allocations to drop on the Taycan Cross Turismo which I'll order and will get sometime in 2023.  Besides, we'll begin to see new car prices soften as the economy slows down so paying over MSRP for a new car is not wise as normal car markers will probably start selling new cars under MSRP by the end of the year (used car prices are already rolling over).

Back