EV/Plug-in/Other vehicles

What type of alternative fuel car are you buying in the near future?

• All electric (EV) car, luxury over $50k like Tesla

Votes: 27 54.0%
  • EV car but lower priced less than $40k like Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf, Hyundai Ioniq

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Plug-in Hybrid (Chevy Volt, Kia Niro, Honda Clarity)

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Hydrogen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 7 14.0%

• Total voters
I think you're right.  the waitlist ending 9/24 is probably referring to the fact that you can apply normally now.  Good call, now im much more motivated to find a solid EV deal, maybe even an FCV deal for 5k rebate.

woodburyowner said:
No, that's a different bucket.  I think Cares is misinterpreting what is mentioned on the CVRP website.  Funds were just replenished a month or two ago and the waitlist has been cleared up now.  So now all applicants get the rebate without being on a waitlist.

id_rather_be_racing said:
Those funds are probably earmarked for the low income applicants and FCV applicants.

recently, this has happened almost every year.  Funds run out, waitlist begins, funds are replenished, waitlist applicants are made whole, applications are opened up again.  Granted there are WAY more EV buyers than before, so can't say how long future funds will last, but i've done this 3x now, waitlisted every time, and each time i got paid, albeit months later.

woodburyowner said:
Cares said:
The $2500 CVRP (California rebate) is oversubscribed and the waitlist is also closed. Basically the funds have been exhausted so don't count on it in your calculations.

CVRP website still shows $80M left in funding.  Where are you getting your info?

So I think the cheapest EV that is sort of like an SUV is the Kia Niro or the Hyundai Kona.

With the Model Y being 1 or 2 (more like 2) years away, are there any other options? There is the Mistubishi Outlander PHEV but that's a hybrid plug-in and while bigger than both the Kia and Hyundai, it's also more expensive than the PHEV versions of those EV offerings.

Sat in both of those and I can "fit"... just wondering if there is something better to wait for that isn't the Tesla.

Isn?t the vw egolf around the same interior volume (it just looks like a typical hatchback whereas the niro/kona looks like it?s just ?taller? but interior volume may be within same range?). And egolf looks to be the cheapest brand new now

Looked at the eGolf... I think part of the reason why I'm searching for an "SUV"-type vehicle is the height and the ease of ingress/egress... otherwise once you are in that high $30k range, the Model 3 is probably the best choice.

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/10/...riving-vehicles-as-shuttle-service-in-irvine/

Hyundai is about to begin road-testing a free, autonomous ride share service that will shuttle passengers between 13 destinations around Irvine.

Called BotRide, it?s set to launch Nov. 4 and will use a smartphone app through which people can find a nearby stop and request a ride in a self-driving Hyundai KONA electric SUV during pre-set hours of operation.

Irvine will again set the new high standards for solving 21 century problems. Traffics and pollutions.

Sign up and take advantage of the free services if your commute routes is on their list.

Test drove a Kia Niro EV.

It's good, but still small for me... maybe for one of my kids when they get their license. I would rec the Niro over the Model 3 purely for utilitarian reasons, easier ingress/outgress and a bit more interior space as a small SUV vs a compact sedan.

The Mitsi Outlander PHEV is supposed to get a redesign this year... beefier exterior and an increase in all-electric range to the low 40 miles.

Want to see if the VW ID Crozz actually comes out this year... but I think more will be out by 2021.

Oh forgot to mention the RAV4 Prime, a PHEV, should by out by this summer. The electric range is 39 miles which is pretty good and I lean towards Toyota of all the foreign brands.

eyephone said:
marmott said:
It's the Bolt that is being heavily discounted.

Good catch. I don?t like the design. If they lower it more maybe I will like it.

The body looks like a fit.

The Volt body with the Bolt drive train would have been nice. The Volt had a very limited all electric range.

The Bolt range is very decent, the closest any manufacturer got to Tesla.

The Fisker Ocean looks promising, although the track record with Fisker is questionable.

Supposedly starts at $37,499 (which makes it under $30k with the $7500 Fed credit).
https://www.fiskerinc.com/ocean/

Fisker_Track-2720-FOR_WEB_E1-cropped.jpg

I think this picture has changed almost 2 years later.

We went from a 1 PHEV home to now 2 EVs.

And with the Mach-E, ID.4, Ioniq5 and EV6 out... EV is prime time!!! :)

irvinehomeowner said:

How did the PHEV work out for you?  Considering the Lexus NX PHEV with 36mi all electric.  Seems like we wouldn't use much gas if we charge every night, but does it really work out that way or gas just trickles slower?

aquabliss said:
irvinehomeowner said:

How did the PHEV work out for you?  Considering the Lexus NX PHEV with 36mi all electric.  Seems like we wouldn't use much gas if we charge every night, but does it really work out that way or gas just trickles slower?

PHEV is good if you have range anxiety but it ends up being a hybrid on longer trips.

It will force use gas sometimes so that the gas doesn?t go bad and to keep the ICE engine ?in practice?.

Charging overnight is easy even on 120v because most times you are not fully depleted.

The NX is basically the RAV4 Prime which is an excellent PHEV.

But? if you can just do an EV, I would definitely do that. Tesla might me more of a shock because the lack of physical controls and a driver display but the newer EVs are a good transition.

And one pedal driving is awesome.

Thanks for the input... Ya and the Lexus NX PHEV is about the same price as the Tesla Model Y Long Range.  Good thing about the Lexus though, qualifies for the full $7,500 tax credit.  If this were normal (non-shortage) time and I could shop around for the NX and get between Invoice and Sticker, I'd probably go for it but people are reserving the shipments before they hit the dealers so they're not discounting anything. 

I have a Cybertruck on order but feels like that day will never come... maybe mid-end 2023?  sheesh.

PHEVs are great commuter vehicles when staying around town (no more than 40 miles round trip) and avoiding freeways. Otherwise you will benefit from an EV due to range anxiety or gas use avoidance.

Back