EV/Plug-in/Other vehicles

What type of alternative fuel car are you buying in the near future?

• All electric (EV) car, luxury over $50k like Tesla

Votes: 27 54.0%
  • EV car but lower priced less than $40k like Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf, Hyundai Ioniq

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Plug-in Hybrid (Chevy Volt, Kia Niro, Honda Clarity)

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Hydrogen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 7 14.0%

• Total voters
Are these prices in theory or are people actually getting these prices?

Also what is level 2? Looking at what the builder called an EV plug it just looks like a standard 240v outlet. Not sure if there?s anything more to it than that.

woodburyowner said:
Go with 2019 e-Golf.  Currently, there is a $10-11k discount off MSRP and this vehicle qualifies for all EV incentives.

$33,475 MSRP
$11,000 discount
-$7,500.00 Fed Rebate
-$2,500.00 CA State Rebate
-$1,000 SCE Rebate
---------------------------
$11,500 + TTL

The $7,500 is a tax credit not a rebate.

aquabliss said:
woodburyowner said:
Go with 2019 e-Golf.  Currently, there is a $10-11k discount off MSRP and this vehicle qualifies for all EV incentives.

$33,475 MSRP
$11,000 discount
-$7,500.00 Fed Rebate
-$1,000 SCE Rebate
$11,500 + TTL

Fixed. 

jamesKirk said:
Also what is level 2? Looking at what the builder called an EV plug it just looks like a standard 240v outlet. Not sure if there?s anything more to it than that.

Yeah. 240 is level 2.

jamesKirk said:

What is the amp rating on that 240v outlet?

woodburyowner said:

$33,475 MSRP
$11,000 discount
-$7,500.00 Fed Rebate
-$1,000 SCE Rebate
$11,500 + TTL

[/quote]

Fixed. 
[/quote]

There are some income limitations on the CA rebate program...see below...

Standard CVRP Rebate

Annual household income must be at or below the income caps listed below.

$150,000 for single filers
$204,000 for head-of-household filers
$300,000 for joint filers
Incomes that exceed the above levels are eligible for fuel cell electric vehicle (FCEV) rebates only.

USCTrojanCPA said:
Btw, how much many KWH will you use to charge an EV car per year?

most cars return between 3-4 miles per kWh.  at 10,000 miles per year, you're looking at 2,500 - 3,333 kWh

momopi said:
jamesKirk said:

No Idea. We move in next week so I?ll check.

So if we are under that threshold we should be able to get this price of 12k + TTL. We pay plenty of taxes so tax credit works similarly.

Can anyone comment on the lifespan and maintenance costs of an EV vehicle? Seriously thinking more about this as one of our leases ends soon. Wondering if I should lease one since it seems like EV technology is improving and may improve a lot in 3 years.

jamesKirk said:
momopi said:
jamesKirk said:

I'm not an electrician.  But as I understand it, 240v outlet can have different amp rating, and your (plug in) car also has restrictions on what amp rating it can accept.  When recharging 60 kWh battery on 240v outlet, it can take 8-16 hours depending on the amp rating.  Someone more knowledgeable can probably speak on this topic.

jamesKirk said:
Can anyone comment on the lifespan and maintenance costs of an EV vehicle? Seriously thinking more about this as one of our leases ends soon. Wondering if I should lease one since it seems like EV technology is improving and may improve a lot in 3 years.

I highly recommend leasing, especially if you are considering a BMWi3 where the residual value works highly in your favor.
The 7500 fed credit and California 2500 rebate are the same whether you buy or lease (lease has to be longer than 30 months)
Therefore the math heavily favors leasing because the combined 10k credit/rebate is twice as big of a portion in a lease where you are paying for approx 50% of the car value.

BMW will claim the 7500 fed tax credit thus lowering the cost of the lease.
My current i3 lease is 30 months with Crevier BMW in Santa Ana.
cost is 4k drive off and $225/month (taxes included)
I did get 2500 California rebate thus reducing the true driveoff cost to 1500 (took almost 3 months to get the rebate check)
25k mileage limit.

I didn't even bother installing a charger because this is strictly my commuting car. BMW gave me a free wall charger that plugs into a regular outlet. It's enough to get it fully charged by morning.

momopi said:
jamesKirk said:
momopi said:
jamesKirk said:

I'm not an electrician.  But as I understand it, 240v outlet can have different amp rating, and your (plug in) car also has restrictions on what amp rating it can accept.  When recharging 60 kWh battery on 240v outlet, it can take 8-16 hours depending on the amp rating.  Someone more knowledgeable can probably speak on this topic.

Plugs and receptacles are specific to their amp rating.  If the house is built per code (caution: easy hack), and if the plug fits the receptacle, then all is good.  A 50 amp plug will not fit a 40 amp receptacle.  But there's no single standard size for 240V plugs, or for Level 2 chargers.  My Level 2 charger uses a NEMA L6-50 plug, which is sized for a 50 amp circuit.  Not all chargers have 50 amp plugs.  And some are hard-wired, with not plugs at all.

Amp ratings are simply the maximum current allowed by electrical code through the circuit.  The breaker, the wire and the plug/receptacle are all made to support that amount of draw.  The actual draw is determined by the appliance, thus it will have a plug to match its demand.

You can adapt down in amperage, but you cannot adapt up.  You can also swap down receptacles and breakers, but you cannot swap up, due to the wire size limit.

daedalus said:
momopi said:
jamesKirk said:
momopi said:
jamesKirk said:

Plugs and receptacles are specific to their amp rating.  If the house is built per code (caution: easy hack), and if the plug fits the receptacle, then all is good.  A 50 amp plug will not fit a 40 amp receptacle.  But there's no single standard size for 240V plugs, or for Level 2 chargers.  My Level 2 charger uses a NEMA L6-50 plug, which is sized for a 50 amp circuit.  Not all chargers have 50 amp plugs.  And some are hard-wired, with not plugs at all.

Amp ratings are simply the maximum current allowed by electrical code through the circuit.  The breaker, the wire and the plug/receptacle are all made to support that amount of draw.  The actual draw is determined by the appliance, thus it will have a plug to match its demand.

You can adapt down in amperage, but you cannot adapt up.  You can also swap down receptacles and breakers, but you cannot swap up, due to the wire size limit.

Very interesting, are you an electrical engineer?

The $2500 CVRP (California rebate) is oversubscribed and the waitlist is also closed. Basically the funds have been exhausted so don't count on it in your calculations.

Cares said:
The $2500 CVRP (California rebate) is oversubscribed and the waitlist is also closed. Basically the funds have been exhausted so don't count on it in your calculations.

CVRP website still shows $80M left in funding.  Where are you getting your info?

Those funds are probably earmarked for the low income applicants and FCV applicants.

recently, this has happened almost every year.  Funds run out, waitlist begins, funds are replenished, waitlist applicants are made whole, applications are opened up again.  Granted there are WAY more EV buyers than before, so can't say how long future funds will last, but i've done this 3x now, waitlisted every time, and each time i got paid, albeit months later.

woodburyowner said:
Cares said:

CVRP website still shows $80M left in funding.  Where are you getting your info?

Generally speaking, you shouldn't buy an EV right now as the technology is still improving significantly every year, which doesn't help depreciation.  The only exceptions to this are Teslas, as I've seen them hold their values fairly well compared to the rest of the EV offerings out there.  I've personally owned/leased 3 pure EVs and one plugin, so I'm familiar with living with an EV.  I can tell you with certainty that the Model 3 I currently own and rent outclasses every EV and ICE car in its price range and segment when it comes to daily drivability. 

As for the e-golf deal, yes people are getting insane leases, see this link for a comprehensive list of discounts available" https://slickdeals.net/f/13163326-2...-125-mile-epa-range-final-price-10-000-13-500

I'm on the hunt for one too, but your luck is highly YMMV.

id_rather_be_racing said:
Those funds are probably earmarked for the low income applicants and FCV applicants.

recently, this has happened almost every year.  Funds run out, waitlist begins, funds are replenished, waitlist applicants are made whole, applications are opened up again.  Granted there are WAY more EV buyers than before, so can't say how long future funds will last, but i've done this 3x now, waitlisted every time, and each time i got paid, albeit months later.

woodburyowner said:
Cares said:

Generally speaking, you shouldn't buy an EV right now as the technology is still improving significantly every year, which doesn't help depreciation.  The only exceptions to this are Teslas, as I've seen them hold their values fairly well compared to the rest of the EV offerings out there.  I've personally owned/leased 3 pure EVs and one plugin, so I'm familiar with living with an EV.  I can tell you with certainty that the Model 3 I currently own and rent outclasses every EV and ICE car in its price range and segment when it comes to daily drivability. 

As for the e-golf deal, yes people are getting insane leases, see this link for a comprehensive list of discounts available" https://slickdeals.net/f/13163326-2...-125-mile-epa-range-final-price-10-000-13-500

I?d only want to lease one of these cheap EVs, mainly because it?s basically as cheap as a low end sedan lease, but lower fuel cost.

Does it seem like a huge hassle to get one of these or any of the cheap EVs mentioned at these final prices?

jamesKirk said:

woodburyowner said:
Cares said:

I?d only want to lease one of these cheap EVs, mainly because it?s basically as cheap as a low end sedan lease, but lower fuel cost.

Does it seem like a huge hassle to get one of these or any of the cheap EVs mentioned at these final prices?

Like anything worth doing, you'll have to work with willing dealers and such and put in the legwork. 

My last EV was a chevy spark EV, a stopgap between my first EV and the model 3.  my monthly payment net of rebates/credits was $66.67/mo. for a 36/12k lease term, absolutely zero down. This was a similar deal to the e-golfs when dealers were willing to essentially knock off 5 figures from the msrp, so yes this deal can be done. 

No, that's a different bucket.  I think Cares is misinterpreting what is mentioned on the CVRP website.  Funds were just replenished a month or two ago and the waitlist has been cleared up now.  So now all applicants get the rebate without being on a waitlist.

woodburyowner said:
Cares said:

Back