EV/Plug-in/Other vehicles

What type of alternative fuel car are you buying in the near future?

• All electric (EV) car, luxury over $50k like Tesla

Votes: 27 54.0%
  • EV car but lower priced less than $40k like Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf, Hyundai Ioniq

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Plug-in Hybrid (Chevy Volt, Kia Niro, Honda Clarity)

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Hydrogen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 7 14.0%

• Total voters
Anyone looking at the Kia Niro EV or the Hyundai Kona EV? I know they are not Teslas, but Kias and Hyundais are also popular in Irvine.

irvinehomeowner said:
Anyone looking at the Kia Niro EV or the Hyundai Kona EV? I know they are not Teslas, but Kias and Hyundais are also popular in Irvine.

I think Kona Hyundai and Kia gives the best bangs for your bucks. And those that drives it doesn?t want to looks all alike, maybe.

I'm a bit iffy on EV vehicles that tend to have more snooping sensors.  Most new vehicles sold today have black box that records crash information, but many go far beyond that.  GPS and services like "OnStar" are notorious for collecting wide array of information for big data.  Unlike consumer credit and cell phone service providers there are very few laws protecting our privacy in your car.  You might think the GPS is only tracking consumer habits, but consider how location data can be used to identity (infer) your religious and political affiliations -- I see that you dine at Chick-Fil-A, shop at Turners, and visit Triple B Clays on weekend.  Mark that guy with a red flag!

On a more basic (non big data) level, consider if you set your home address on your car's built in GPS and someone steals your car, they might follow the GPS to rob your home.  So instead of using your real home address, set it to the supermarket across the street.

If you think it'd be easy to order a location tracking jammer on ebay, be aware that you'd be breaking Federal law with possible fines and jail time.

Our new home came with an EV plug upgrade. Didn?t have a choice.

What is currently the cheapest EV or plug in hybrid available that isn?t garbage?

We drive civics and corollas and never spend much on our cars. We?d be interested in getting one EV vehicle, but it?s the price that deters is. We often wait and get really cheap lease deals.

Was looking Jag I-PACE. Pretty sharp looking, but it will set you back at about 80K for the low side.

Ahh, what happen to the days that I thought my car was too expensive at 7 thousands dollars.... :)

jamesKirk said:
Our new home came with an EV plug upgrade. Didn?t have a choice.

What is currently the cheapest EV or plug in hybrid available that isn?t garbage?

We drive civics and corollas and never spend much on our cars. We?d be interested in getting one EV vehicle, but it?s the price that deters is. We often wait and get really cheap lease deals.

Take a look at the Porsche Taycan Turbo S. You'll love it! ;-)

irvinehomeowner said:
@jamesK: The lower end EVs are the Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf, Kia Niro, Hyunda Kona and Tesla Model 3.

Do plug ins go cheaper than straight EVs? Never thought about getting any type of EV vehicle until getting our house honestly. My wife only drives about 20-25 miles a day so no problem with range.

jamesKirk said:
irvinehomeowner said:
@jamesK: The lower end EVs are the Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf, Kia Niro, Hyunda Kona and Tesla Model 3.

Do plug ins go cheaper than straight EVs? Never thought about getting any type of EV vehicle until getting our house honestly. My wife only drives about 20-25 miles a day so no problem with range.

At that range look.at the little Fiat 500e, they used to basically give them away to make their fleet mileage targets.

jamesKirk said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Yes. Plug-in hybrids are less expensive.

For a bigger SUV, the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV is decent, about 24 miles of EV range and it's bigger than the compact EVs.

There are also PHEVs by Honda (Clarity) and Hyundai (Ioniq?). The Chevy Volt is also a PHEV if I remember correctly. Plus for those you don't need a Level 2 charger, you can plug into standard 110 and charge overnight.

Go with 2019 e-Golf.  Currently, there is a $10-11k discount off MSRP and this vehicle qualifies for all EV incentives.

$33,475 MSRP
$11,000 discount
-$7,500.00 Fed Credit
-$2,500.00 CA State Rebate
-$1,000 SCE Rebate
---------------------------
$11,500 + TTL

The Chevy Volt is pretty good with almost 60 miles before even switching to the ICE. I?m sure a great deal can be found since they are on their last model year.

Back