EV/Plug-in/Other vehicles

What type of alternative fuel car are you buying in the near future?

• All electric (EV) car, luxury over $50k like Tesla

Votes: 27 54.0%
  • EV car but lower priced less than $40k like Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf, Hyundai Ioniq

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Plug-in Hybrid (Chevy Volt, Kia Niro, Honda Clarity)

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Hydrogen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 7 14.0%

• Total voters
The California Court Company said:
EU is considering banning new combustion engine vehicles in 2035.
I think it will be lucrative business to collect gas powered sports cars like Ferrari, Porsche?

That'll be fun to watch as their electric bills are crazy high due to the war and because their utility providers aren't regulated like the ones we have here in the US.  But yes, I'm keep my ICE powered GT cars as everything goes EV in the next 15-20 years.

I was lucky enough to find a Taycan GTS allocation for MSRP from someone who needed to cancel the purchase so I put my deposit down with the dealer.  Should have the car around October via delivery at PEC LA.  :D

USCTrojanCPA said:
I was lucky enough to find a Taycan GTS allocation for MSRP from someone who needed to cancel the purchase so I put my deposit down with the dealer.  Should have the car around October via delivery at PEC LA.  :D

Nice! New house, new car, what's next? Living the dream - Congrats Martin!

USC sort of knows the bennies of EVs... I think he's owned a Prius at one time.

Now he gets the best of both worlds... his beloved Porsche in EV format.

best_potsticker_in_town said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

Nice! New house, new car, what's next? Living the dream - Congrats Martin!

Install solar on the home to charge the EV.  haha

irvinehomeowner said:
USC sort of knows the bennies of EVs... I think he's owned a Prius at one time.

Now he gets the best of both worlds... his beloved Porsche in EV format.

The Prius was a plug-in so kinda got a little taste.  The car I really want as an EV is the Macan which will be out in 2025/2026.  The Taycan is a stop gap until I can get the new EV Macan.

I pick up my new Model 3 Performance this Sunday (great Father?s Day event) - super car performance for $64K. I think Tesla has locked up the supply chain so good luck to Porsche getting allocations of silicon devices and battery materials with their paltry volumes. It might be a lot longer than Oct, and like Jaguar I can see them losing so much trying to compete with lesser software/silicon/battery technology those cars will be like VW Phaetons in a few years.

The only ICE car that will sustain long term value is Ferrari as they are sought out exactly for their sound. People buy 911s because they?re wicked fast, handle like a dream and are extremely high quality, but they?re not as exclusive as F and will be a casualty of the EV transition - not enough volume. The Japanese will survive and may end up the big winners after Tesla.

OCtoSV said:
I pick up my new Model 3 Performance this Sunday (great Father?s Day event) - super car performance for $64K. I think Tesla has locked up the supply chain so good luck to Porsche getting allocations of silicon devices and battery materials with their paltry volumes. It might be a lot longer than Oct, and like Jaguar I can see them losing so much trying to compete with lesser software/silicon/battery technology those cars will be like VW Phaetons in a few years.

The only ICE car that will sustain long term value is Ferrari as they are sought out exactly for their sound. People buy 911s because they?re wicked fast, handle like a dream and are extremely high quality, but they?re not as exclusive as F and will be a casualty of the EV transition - not enough volume. The Japanese will survive and may end up the big winners after Tesla.

I've made money off selling all of my GT3 and GT3RS Porsche.  One appreciated $80k more than I paid for it in 2013 when I sold it in 2018.  The only 2 Ferrari cars that I would even consider buying is the Speciale or the Scuderia. 

USCTrojanCPA said:
OCtoSV said:

I've made money off selling all of my GT3 and GT3RS Porsche.  One appreciated $80k more than I paid for it in 2013 when I sold it in 2018.  The only 2 Ferrari cars that I would even consider buying is the Speciale or the Scuderia.
GT cars and older aircooled 911s have done very well in the recent speculative bubble, as have many American muscle cars - I saw an old guy tearing up the nieghborhood in a sick 74 Z28, very rare, the other day that is worth ungodly $$. There is a guy at my gym whose daily driver is a 79 930 that I always think should be in a garage not getting exposed to door dings in the parking lot. But moving forward 10-15 years I think only Ferrari will be able to sustain a profitable ICE + EV business. I would be a long term buyer of Ferrari stock.

OCtoSV said:
I think Tesla has locked up the supply chain so good luck to Porsche getting allocations of silicon devices and battery materials with their paltry volumes. It might be a lot longer than Oct, and like Jaguar I can see them losing so much trying to compete with lesser software/silicon/battery technology those cars will be like VW Phaetons in a few years.

Tesla can do no wrong with you  ;D I would bet that the VW group is in a much better situation than Tesla when it comes to supply chain just by their sheer size and buying power.

But I agree any "today" EV will be victim of the fast innovation we are seeing in the sector and won't be that attractive in a few years. Tesla models with 300 miles range and average hardware are not immune.

The big domestics can compete with Tesla.

Ford has already shown it can ramp up with the Lightning vs Rivian and the still upcoming CyberTruck. Chevy has shown they can compete price-wise without Fed incentives by cutting prices drastically on the Bolts.

The next few years will be very interesting.

As much as I like our Model Y, I really like the other EVs out there... and really messed up by waiting for the CyberTruck instead of reserving a Lightning or Rivian RT1. I'm looking at the Rivian R1S because we probably need the larger SUV format than a truck.

Unicorns and rainbows can come true. :)

marmott said:
OCtoSV said:
I think Tesla has locked up the supply chain so good luck to Porsche getting allocations of silicon devices and battery materials with their paltry volumes. It might be a lot longer than Oct, and like Jaguar I can see them losing so much trying to compete with lesser software/silicon/battery technology those cars will be like VW Phaetons in a few years.

Tesla can do no wrong with you  ;D I would bet that the VW group is in a much better situation than Tesla when it comes to supply chain just by their sheer size and buying power.

But I agree any "today" EV will be victim of the fast innovation we are seeing in the sector and won't be that attractive in a few years. Tesla models with 300 miles range and average hardware are not immune.
How? Tesla commands 70% of the US electric vehicle market and they have an endless supply of free capital to pay their way to the top allocation slot for every material and semiconductor provider. Ev components are not what VW is buying in massive volume for entry level Jettas and Golfs. When you drill into numbers like that, and juxtapose them with Tesla's insane OM vs the red ink everyone else is bleeding in their EV lineups - where does everyone else magically catch up in cost structure let alone technology, where they're all years behind Tesla in software and battery technology? Perhaps the biggest hurdle for everyone else is duplicating the Supercharger network - I can literally autpoilot my way anywhere in CA and never have range anxiety. The other chargin networks are poorly maintained, sparsely available and really expensive.

If you understood EV technology and manufacturing finance you would know it's game over for the domestics and the legacy luxury brands.

OCtoSV said:
marmott said:
OCtoSV said:

How? Tesla commands 70% of the US electric vehicle market and they have an endless supply of free capital to pay their way to the top allocation slot for every material and semiconductor provider. Ev components are not what VW is buying in massive volume for entry level Jettas and Golfs. When you drill into numbers like that, and juxtapose them with Tesla's insane OM vs the red ink everyone else is bleeding in their EV lineups - where does everyone else magically catch up in cost structure let alone technology, where they're all years behind Tesla in software and battery technology? Perhaps the biggest hurdle for everyone else is duplicating the Supercharger network - I can literally autpoilot my way anywhere in CA and never have range anxiety. The other chargin networks are poorly maintained, sparsely available and really expensive.

If you understood EV technology and manufacturing finance you would know it's game over for the domestics and the legacy luxury brands.

to add some specificity, Tesla has a much larger portion of the vehicle's functionality designed from scratch to be software controlled, a linchpin of their OTA capability.

OCtoSV said:
marmott said:
OCtoSV said:

Elon - is that you???

:)

I'll agree with OCtoSV that quite a bit of Tesla tech is leaps and bounds in regards to technology and battery... but EVs for the masses don't necessarily need to be cutting edge.

Sort of like iPhone vs Android... iPhone was established as the leader but then Android had the ability because of so many vendors to cover all levels from high end to budget.. which is what is going to happen with EVs.

You don't always need the best software or battery range... but just good enough and cheap enough. I'll use Ford again as an example... they should be producing more trucks than Rivian soon because they can use many of the same parts in the F-150, that's an advantage of scale that Rivian can't match... or Tesla if they ever come out with the CT.

Another tech example is most of these other EVs can just implement a simple entertainment/nav system and rely on CarPlay/AndroidAuto to do the rest (which many Tesla owners wish they had available in their cars). So there is some benefit to having an open manufacturing channel.

So while iPhone beats any single phone brand/model in sales, Android as a whole sells many more units than iPhone... which is eventually what will happen with EVs.

irvinehomeowner said:

Ford has already shown it can ramp up with the Lightning vs Rivian and the still upcoming CyberTruck. Chevy has shown they can compete price-wise without Fed incentives by cutting prices drastically on the Bolts.

I sure hope they can compete and produce in mass volume. It's nice to finally see some more non-compliance vehicles from all the legacy manufacturers.

zovall said:
irvinehomeowner said:

I sure hope they can compete and produce in mass volume. It's nice to finally see some more non-compliance vehicles from all the legacy manufacturers.
from what I read VW is going big for China and Europe EV volume while Elon ramps the Berlin Gigafactory to 500K vehicles/year.

Speaking of which I just took delivery of my new M3 Perf, and wow. Such a beautiful vehicle with sick rims and handles like a cheetah on those 20" P0s. I'm in love. No one else can produce a profitable EV that even sniffs it for $64K.

Back