EV/Plug-in/Other vehicles

What type of alternative fuel car are you buying in the near future?

• All electric (EV) car, luxury over $50k like Tesla

Votes: 27 54.0%
  • EV car but lower priced less than $40k like Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf, Hyundai Ioniq

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Plug-in Hybrid (Chevy Volt, Kia Niro, Honda Clarity)

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Hydrogen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 7 14.0%

• Total voters
aquabliss said:
HMart said:
Cadillac Lyriq reviews out today. Looks like a good car. Anyone know a Cadillac dealer that would do it without ADM?

Anyone know *ANY* dealers selling EVs without markup?  I?ve been mostly looking for EV6 and Ioniq5 but every dealer has $4-$7k markup it seems.
https://datastudio.google.com/u/0/reporting/7a243d54-2a8d-44f3-a405-ce2a509c1c07/page/3KHiC

The Tustin Hyundai was confirmed to me by a mobile car wash guy last week. He had a base Ioniq 5. MSRP but about $1k in BS dealer addons. Consider it a low ADM.

Unicorns and rainbows?.

Rivian CEO confirms layoffs could be part of restructuring to stay ?nimble?

Rivian will continue to hire in strategically important areas even as it restructures its business and possibly cuts some jobs, according to an internal email from CEO RJ Scaringe that was sent to employees following reports the EV automaker was planning to lay off about 5% of its workforce.
https://techcrunch.com/2022/07/12/r...ould-be-part-of-restructuring-to-stay-nimble/
https://youtu.be/r0mO6UY6uTg

All companies downsize for various reasons.

So while you are targeting Rivian.. basically in their early production years... look at Tesla... and even they are doing layoffs but they are very successful contrary to your predictions.

All the ICE brands are churning out EVs too... time to retire your landline.

Pull all the government largesse and the whole house of cards collapses?like solar?.in pursuit of unicorns and rainbows?.. ;D ;D >:D

morekaos said:
Pull all the government largesse and the whole house of cards collapses?like solar?.in pursuit of unicorns and rainbows?.. ;D ;D >:D

Not before I get my $7,500 tax credit for my EV purchase.

HMart said:
aquabliss said:
HMart said:
Cadillac Lyriq reviews out today. Looks like a good car. Anyone know a Cadillac dealer that would do it without ADM?

Anyone know *ANY* dealers selling EVs without markup?  I?ve been mostly looking for EV6 and Ioniq5 but every dealer has $4-$7k markup it seems.
https://datastudio.google.com/u/0/reporting/7a243d54-2a8d-44f3-a405-ce2a509c1c07/page/3KHiC

The Tustin Hyundai was confirmed to me by a mobile car wash guy last week. He had a base Ioniq 5. MSRP but about $1k in BS dealer addons. Consider it a low ADM.

Ya I went to Tustin Hyundai this week and talked to a sales guy.  You can order an Ioniq5 but will take 6-8 months and all their electric and plug-in hybrids are sold at MSRP but they add $1,200 clear coat paint protection on all of them. 

Also drove the ID4 today and liked it a lot more than I thought I would. Build quality and drive are very solid and turning radius was crazy good.  It?s not s speed rocket but I?m not in my 20s anymore either.  Infotainment wasn?t as bad as the stories I?ve read and would probably just use wireless CarPlay 99% of the time anyhow.  Sales guy at Irvine VW said order online and wait is only 3-4 months.  No dealer markup and no mandatory accessories if you use their link to ensure the order is assigned to Norm Reeves Irvine. 

If you want a cheap EV without government subsidies... look at the Bolt (EUV bigger than EV).

Just get the 2023 model... the ones with the non-defective batteries. :)

irvinehomeowner said:
If you want a cheap EV without government subsidies... look at the Bolt (EUV bigger than EV).

Just get the 2023 model... the ones with the non-defective batteries. :)

Affected models all got free new replacement batteries.

VW CEO ousted due to inability to deliver on....software. How does a company partly owned and run by the state and the union expect to attract the kind of software talent to compete with Tesla? Ditto for the rest of the industry. Now Porsche can't deliver the rest of their EVs for at least 3 more years. Anyone that understands Tesla's differentiation can see this slow motion train wreck 100 miles away. The rest of the industry will eat themselves alive trying to make that 2035 deadline.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/vw-ceo-ouster-a-sign-of-speed-bumps-ahead-for-ev-transformation-145014619.html

I believe however the Supercharger network is the ultimate differntiator. Have fun with Electrify America and Chargepoint solutions that are poorly maintained and thus expereince a high downtime rate, while they won't charge your battery past 80%.

Except that Musk is opening up Superchargers to non-Tesla users.

That may bring more congestion to the already busy SC network (as number of Teslas have increased).

OCtoSV said:
Have fun with Electrify America and Chargepoint solutions that are poorly maintained and thus expereince a high downtime rate, while they won't charge your battery past 80%.

Do you have a source for this statement?  EA and Chargepoint won't charge a battery past 80%!?

PSA:

The new bill, when signed by Biden, will have certain clauses effective immediately (others in 2023 and others phased in).

There is an exception that if you sign a binding agreement prior to the Inflation Reduction Act being put into effect, you can still qualify for the current $7500 Fed credit (depending on the scenario).

EV/PHEV manufacturers are sending out emails to reservations holders to convert their reservations to binding contracts (which usually entails the reservation becoming non-refundable).
https://electrek.co/2022/08/13/if-you-want-an-ev-buy-this-week-rivian-fisker-ev-tax-credits/

But the law includes a ?transition rule? which states any EV with a ?written binding contract to purchase? signed before the date of the law?s enactment will be able to take the old credit if the buyer so chooses, even if the car is delivered after the bill is signed. This is covered on page 393-394 of the bill. We don?t know when the bill will be signed, but it could happen within days.

(Note: this means that a buyer who signs a binding purchase agreements today can, if they choose, treat the credit as if they bought the car today, with all of the current rules for the ?old? credit ? you can?t mix and match certain rules, you either get all the provisions of the old one or of the new one)

Because of this, some EV manufacturers are offering binding purchase agreements to lock in credit availability for cars that are assembled outside North America or which run afoul of the new bill?s price cap.

I have received emails for some of the EV reservations I have to convert and have done so, but it's up to you to make your own decision.

woodburyowner said:
OCtoSV said:
Have fun with Electrify America and Chargepoint solutions that are poorly maintained and thus expereince a high downtime rate, while they won't charge your battery past 80%.

Do you have a source for this statement?  EA and Chargepoint won't charge a battery past 80%!?

Yes - see here:
https://www.mercurynews.com/2022/07/28/roadshows-ev-week-continues-with-10300-mile-road-trip-success/

This is an excellent weekly column up here that is starting to feature more EV transition topics. The charging limitations of the 3rd party charging network providers really cripple non-Teslas.

By comparison, we just came back from a Napa weekend, in northern Napa Valley. Up and back including a detour to SF on the way home only required a 20 min charge at the Sonoma Supercharger, taking me from 23% to 70% in 20 minutes. I seriously considered vandalizing the  cars of the jerks that left them plugged in for 2 hours while they went and had lunch. At least they get charged OT penalties but it eats up a spot given most stops require a 20 min max charge (provided you're at a Supercharger). We left home Friday with a 100% charge from the Powerwalls. The autpilot came in super handy up there to stay at the speed limit while perfectly centered in the lane given the high visibility of police. And a white Tesla is about as ubiquitous/non obtrusive of a car as there is up here.

irvinehomeowner said:
I have received emails for some of the EV reservations I have to convert and have done so, but it's up to you to make your own decision.
What is the future IHO fleet going to look like?

Back