Downtown of OC

>>but soon Irvinites soon can put on their heels for a night on the town at Old Town Santa Ana.

We already go to Memphis on weekend nights because the food is good, not particularly expensive, and there's no wait! There's a bar nearby (can't recall the name) that is trying to bring hipsters into the area. There's some real potential in the neighborhood.

It would be nice to see more of Broadway turned into retail restaurant, along with the professional / commercial businesses being run out of the old homes. I can imagine that the money in Floral Park would like to be able to walk out of the neighborhood for breakfast or lunch on weekends - and not be stuck at Norm's. From there, they could hook up the Bowers and restaurant corridors on Main.

whoa eva,

now i think you need watch your tone. there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with being stuck at norms! i used to spend many late nights hanging out there with my friends, enjoying $4.99 steak and eggs.

Believe me, I've spent plenty of time at Norm's, too. But to have it as your <em>only</em> walkable option is a bummer. There's only so much grease one can consume.

i used to live nearby the norms in orange. now i live in irvine and there is no norms nowhere nearby. (try saying that 10 times)

i am ashamed to admit i've been to the dennys on sand canyon several times now which back in the day would have been <em>unthinkable</em>. it's like being chinese and admitting you eat at pf changs. bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!

knowlwoods, you do know they have the world's best hamburger right?? haha actually its decent. i like it because theres so few fast/counter places you can get a turkey burger.

breakfast there is great. good prices, simple food, not too greasy. nothing to rave madly about, but nothing to complain about.

my favorite breakfast in all of OC is at arthurs on tustin & chapman in orange. its a true country-style breakfast joint. their biscuits and gravy are amazing.

<p>Oh gosh, Arthurs is good, but they give you way too much food. My wife, myself, and my two youngest can all dine till sated on one breakfast there.</p>

<p>Oh yeah, turkey burgers!</p>

bkshopr ,

It was obvious to me that you were Asian (Chinese?) from your first posting. I've enjoyed and have learned many things from your comments.

Thank you Emoh for being a long time reader and finally signed up as a member of this forum. Welcome to the site. Hope to hear some of your thoughts.

acpme,

I'm posting because bk is getting misread on this thread. BTW I'm a Assie born Chinese and live in Westpark...all my kids graduated from Uni and I'm extremely sympathetic to bk's Asian perspective....and I agree with much of what he says.

haha i'm just playing. we know bk wouldnt stoop to such depths.

i do agree with bk's posts as well<em> for the most part</em>. i try to remember that they are generalizations and also tinted with a bit of sarcasm and humor. i've sent links to some of these threads to my college friends because many of us were very involved in asian american studies. we all had a laugh and no one found it offensive.

analysis like the ones bk does are necessary. they're the reason why irvine is such a convenient and well laid out community. not just the residential communities, but where specific retail is located. for example, i know many people who are excited about the opening of pinkberry soon. at some point someone probably did a study and came up with conclusions like:

- there were a lot of affluent asian people in this area

- asian people like tart yogurt but not western-style frozen yogurt.

- these asian people here are affluent and willing to spend $7 on a cup of yogurt-like substance

so maybe that makes you cringe to hear. it doesnt change the fact that they chose to open pinkberry at the district and fashion island as opposed to on balboa peninsula or the block. or why open them here at all when there have been dozens of golden spoons open for the past 20 yrs? these are all questions that someone had to answer based on demographics.

sometimes stereotypes aren't true and sometimes they are. i like to see the free mkt sort it out...

My take on the sour frozen yogurt is that it had been touted as "healthy". If there is one thing more that Asian people care about more than money, it is trying to stay alive longer.

What makes bkshopr’s remarks most dangerous, because it’s coming from a person who seems like he knows what he is talking about. I know we all have certain predacious and biases. When we put them in writing and say it out loud its gets legitimized. And it poison’s our minds. From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

This is what Rush Limbaugh said about Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb's role in his team's 0-2 start to the season:

“ Sorry to say this, I don't think he's been that good from the get-go. I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well. There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team.”

On October 1, 2003, Limbaugh resigned from ESPN with the statement:

Right or wrong it didn’t matter that statement did not belong in primetime TV

And Jimmy the Greek was fire for making remarks about blacks

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_the_greek#Controversial_Statements">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_the_greek#Controversial_Statements</a>

The point is: we as a society should not allow any one to separate us by statement such as “I am not a racist because I am a 1.5 generation Asian who grew up in the barrios caught between Asian and Latino gangs. You can only name calling "racist" if the remark came from a different nationality.”

There were a lot of Jewish people who collaborated with Nazis.

<p>He doesn't seem to know what he's talking about, he DOES know what he's talking about. Rush was making a political observation on a sports show, and that isn't the place for it. Jimmy gave an interview in a restaurant that revealed some really ugly ideas involving breeding slaves like animals. One was a perfect assessment of a quarterback's talent (face it, McNabb's a choke artist of the highest magnitude) couched in political speculation, while the other was drunken speculation completely absent of any evidence from a mental midget. Bkshopr is telling us how and why certain demographics behave the way they do, from several viewpoints and with professionally collected data and research. Equating those three people and their comment as the same in kind, if not degree, requires a stretch so large you could only find it in a Fantastic Four movie.</p>

<p>I really wish all the hypersensitive white-guilt bandwagoneers would start aiming all the censorship and condemnation they keep preaching at themselves. Their myopic assessment of one person's posts bears an undeniable resemblance to Orwellian groupthink and, sadly, they don't get the irony in that. Their continued assault on bkshopr despite a freakin' library of posts that debunk their presumptions only serves to underscore the fact that they are willfully ignorant and possibly funtionally retarded...dee dee dee.</p>

<p>...and the nfl needs more black coaches too!!</p>

<p>what we really need is more black teachers, doctors, and philosophers, not rappers and pro athletes.</p>

<p> </p>

<p> </p>

<p> </p>

Back