Downtown of OC

My oldest daughter went to the Orange County High School of the Arts, so I am grateful to both Michael Harrah and the Segerstroms.

It is a great school with very high impressive scores. It is behind University High but ahead of all other schools in Irvine and Tustin. The students there are down to earth, social, and involved with their communities. They feel responsible in making their community and society a better and safer place to live. The school has mostly caucasian student body population with excellent academic achievement. It is a testimony that a school without Asian robots could also succeed and produces students that will become future contributors in helping and improving our forgotton and neglected communities.

<p>BK </p>

<p>Is that shopping center around Marblehead going to be an <u>outlet</u> center for sure? I'm hearing mixed things now.</p>

<p>Laing,</p>

<p>Outlets are required to be at least 60 miles away from their main retail stores. The viability of good brand name bargain stores are very unlikely. All the brand name stores are at South Coast Plaza. If you are worrying about traffics and Asian drivers to your neighborhood outlet store then you do not need to worry because the main reason to shop outlet is to buy brand names at bargain price. It is only 28 miles out from South Coast Plaza and good stores are unlikely to happen there. Asian shoppers would never drive 98.7 miles from Monterey park to shop for Van Huesen and Arrow shirts at your neighborhood. </p>

<p>BK -</p>

<p>Well, I wasn't concerned about Asian drivers coming down to shop at the Outlet .... but I do certainly agree that Outlets attract a different set of shoppers. Camarillo would be much closer to Monterey Park, anyway.</p>

<p>I just want a Williams Sonoma Home to be built in Orange County. </p>

Asians hate Camarillo. They have no Gucci, Armani, AX, Prada, Barneys NY, and Faragamos. Williams Sonoma Homes is currently on Berverly Blvd. in Hollywood/ Beverly Hills. The OC market is too competitive and they are not ready yet. There will not be a Williams Sonoma outlet there because of the 60 miles limitation.

Bkshopr,

"Asian Robots"? I hope you're referring to the Roomba vaccum cleaner.

And Asians do not have a monopoly on poor driving skills. When that large SUV cuts me off on the freeway while I am going with the flow of traffic, the person driving is as likely to be non-Asian as he/she is to be Asian.

I'm not one to jump to conclusions, but I sense some hostility to Asians in some of your threads. I certainly admire your posts and to the valuable contributions you make to this site, so I hope I am wrong.

<p>BK -</p>

<p>Are there restrictions for normal, non-outlet stores? I'm assuming there aren't (because for example, I see a Pottery Barn at South Coast and another one at Fashion Island).</p>

<p> </p>

It depends on the store's contract with the mall. Tiffany got hauled into court after they opened up shop at The Stores at Mission Viejo. Tiffany had an agreement with Segerstrom to not open another store within 50(?) miles of the South Coast store. I don't recall what the outcome was.

My business is based on Asian research. It is my bread and butter. The fact that I know a lot about them and my sarcasm and stereotyping are part of my work. I do not have hostility toward Asians. In the Asian culture making fun of someone usually means there is a greater respect and frienship for that person. If I am Asian then would you have perceived my threads being different tone?

<p>I just want a Williams Sonoma Home in Orange County ... now now now!!! </p>

<p>I'm tired of driving up to West Hollywood to touch the beds and sofas! </p>

bkshopr,

Maybe it's me, I didn't find too much humor in your statements regarding Asians. But I personally do not find propagating stereotypes funny.

While I agree that making fun of an individual may indicate familiarity or affinity towards that individual, I don't believe the same applies when you make fun of an entire race. Even on a person-to-person level, making fun of a friend is one thing, ridiculing a stranger is another.

Here's a link to an interesting study about the correlation between race/ethnicity and vehicular accidents. http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/809956.PDF. It's long-ish, but informative. When I read this, it seemed to indicate that Asians are not the reckless, horrible drivers that you seem to make them out to be.

Again, I respect your professional views on housing, and the part that demographics play. However, I do feel obligated to point out that your remarks about Asians appear caustic and prejudiced. I'll take your word that you do have no hostility towards Asians, but in this Asian-American's personal opinion, your statements could indicate otherwise.

I'll second hopia's comments. Put aside the fallacy of generalizing an ethnic population on anecdotal observations, somehow we've forgotten that the various Asian populations in Southern California (Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, etc) are as different from each other as "Asians" in general are from their Caucasian counterparts.

You have a business based on "Asian research", and you're comfortable saying things like "Asians hate Camarillo"? Which Asians? Some of my Nisei relatives grew crops on land in Camarillo, and still live there!

I've known many Asian students that are just as "down to earth, social, and involved with their communities" as their artsy counterparts at OCHSA...not to brag, I'd like to think that I was one of them (OVHS 1996...)!

This board has certainly enlightened me in regards to housing and the homebuilding industry, but I have to agree with hopia that even though there's no harm meant, some of the comments directed at "Asians" as a population do seem a bit caustic...

Just my Japanese American $0.02...

-OCR

<p>I think you jumped the conclusion regarding my research for a car company that specifically designing a car for you. I never said that Asian drivers are reckless drivers but they are drivers driving slower than the flow of traffic. My survey tally indicated a high percentage of my encounters on the freeways are Asians driving slower than the traffic flow. It frustrates other drivers to anger and other drivers get into accidents by driving recklessly. I came up with numerous conclusions from my studies and made recommendations to include features like wider range of seat adjustment and steering wheel tilt for Asians' petite body frame dimension and lowering of dash board for better viewing angle and so on. </p>

<p>Asian as a culture children are programmed to have respect and never should talk back to the elders. This behavior will hinder the children as they become adults. Avoiding confrontation and sweeping unresolved issues under the rugs and not talking about it will not solve problems. The issues I wrote about may or may not describe you in particular but among Asians it is never talked about. Some comments may not apply for some of you but it does apply to a much larger group. I did not mean Asians hating Camirillo as a city but the outlet that does not offer the their preferred choice of brands. Cabazon outlet on the other hand is very popular among Asians. There are sale receipts that back up my comments. Why are you all jumping into these conclusions?</p>

<p>This forum is successful because it allows freedom of speech and allowed posters to putting aside all the political correctness and truly be able to exchange ideas and culture. How much do you know of my culture? Has any one care enough to learn about kids growing up in the barrios? </p>

<p />

Back