Downtown of OC

If Rush was black then he'd have more credibility talking about black people, and if it was Jimmy the Black he could talk with authority on black people. BK has the right to talk about the Asian experience from his personal and professional experience just like Snoop Dog and Dr. Dre and "Dr." Cosby have their rights to rap and talk about the black experience, and no one accuses them of being racist. BK's observations are generally true for most Asian families and there are certainly families who don't fit into those observations, but that's absolutely no reason for bringing up the race card. I'm tired of political correctness and easily offended people. I like his info and would prefer people who want political correctness to patronize other less informative blogs.

<em>"I'm tired of political correctness and easily offended people. "</em>

As you all may have noticed, I am not a fan of political correctness. The thought police can stay out of my head.

I only censure people on this blog when they call names or make personal insults. I never censure someone for their ideas, even the politically incorrect ones.

At least when the Right tries to control you they call it what it is: censorship. When the Left tries to control you, they pretend they aren't by calling it political correctness. If it quacks like a duck...

Asians’ lifestyle is way too different from the white folks. Most shop at the white folks’ stores but few white folks shop at the Asian stores except for the cheaper meats and produce at the 99 Ranch. Understanding Asians’ peculiarity allows community planners, school and retailers to cater better solution for their livelihood.

Parking is the most abundance in Irvine of all cities in America yet centers with Asian concentration retails and restaurants are always a nightmare. Should the city impose stricter parking criteria for the Diamond Plaza (Alton/Jamboree) since the center is only focused in leasing to Asian tenants? This obviously would not go very far because of prejudice against a minority owned retail center.

Asians have more do and don’ts on house floor plans than the white folks like address numbers and site orientation. City clerks are learning that the digit “4” should be deleted when assigning address for houses. The Irvine Company is paying extra attention to Feng Shui to their products and land planning. I went to Home Depot the other day looking for address numerals and all I found were a bunch of 4’s. Only the 4’s are at the Target end cap. Community like Woodbury and Stone gate are targeted primarily Asians due to the proximity to Arbor retail center and the 2<sup>nd</sup> 99 Ranch Market. Stairs are forever forbidden to face the main door.

Schools in nice side of Tustin and Irvine are tailoring much broader range of academic interest in Science and Mathematics for their schools. New schools being planned according to higher source have to be technology oriented and equipped. Highest salary range pledged by TIC is offered to attract the best qualified teachers. It is still in debate whether to include special lunches cater to the Asian kids. Would it be interesting the white folk chefs at the cafeteria crank out boba drinks all day long?

Stereotype or not Asians lifestyle and idiosyncrasy are different from the main stream and they are changing the way we all live, shop, and learn in some cases even work. Most of my white friends said they have to work much harder because they have Asian co-workers. (oops! I think I just upset the white folks but they are much tolerant to forgive me)

Of all the sites I have seen related to Housing I chose to be active with this site because of the intelligent members and the depth of knowledge various individuals bring to the forum. The moderators spent many hours composing their expertise and articulate their knowledge in layman's term so we all can benefit from being a smarter individual who understand our economic and physical environment.

I am sadden by those whose postings and the only time posted were negative messages that offer no beneficial knowledge to enlighten our understanding of housing economic and community creation.

To draw the conclusion of a “Short Asian Lady” by just looking at a picture is remarkable. I can imagine half dozen scenarios.

<a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/2007/07/18/100-financing-failure/">http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/2007/07/18/100-financing-failure/</a>

comments by bkshopr

2007-07-18 10:48:42

To achieve a SHORT SALE the owner should at the very least stage the kitchen properly. The cluttered kitchen shown indicates the lack of counter space. The first thing is to remove the huge rice cooker in the foreground (The owner is obvious a very short Asain). The second microwave on the countertop is an indication that the vent/microwave combo above the electric stove is too high and not within easy reach by the occupant.

Asians hate electric stove. The wok’s round bottom wobbles all over the flat glass top and heat distribution is very poor. 35% of the home shoppers would pass on this one. It is very important to provide the right spec in appliance.

Get rid of all the things on the counter that indicate an inadequate kitchen.

Well, I always enjoy reading your posts, bk. And I frequent the high density Asian areas in Irvine, so it gives me some context that I wouldn't have otherwise. Just did Shabu Shabu and Yogurtland last night, and I stuck out like a sore thumb, naturally. Coincidentally, my [asian] friend's family owns a large Irvine plaza that has many Asian restaurants and stores in it and while I haven't talked to her about it, I'll be interested to understand their investment in buying it and how they might have marketed towards some Asian owned businesses a little more strongly. Another Asian friend of mine, whose family bought in TR way back in the early 80s claimed that "we were the first Asian family in Irvine." "You so crazy," I told her, but maybe they really were some of the Pioneer Asian Families in Irvine. (PAFIIs, as we say.)

Your posts have given me a good roadmap to understanding some aspects of Asian culture (a sort of economic "rubber meets the road" context) that I would not have gotten before or at school. I too wish that your critics would at least give more articulation in contradiction. They seem to be responding with .1% exceptions to general rules you're laying out, so that seems mismatched too.

<p>ns2524, put the stick down and back away from the horse's body.</p>

<p>In my life I have dated five women who were under 5'2" tall. Every single one of them had a kitchen that looked similar to that. The only thing that would be more telling than a second microwave on the counter top would be a foot stool in camera view. My evidence may be anecdotal, but as you cherry-picked this comment to bootstrap your point, I think we're even. Now go do something productive with your righteous indignation and <a href="http://servenet.org/">help solve real problems</a> instead of taking pot shots from a desk.</p>

<p>I don't think what BK says is racist or offending at all. </p>

<p>I am an Italian american from NY. In NY there are well known "generalizations" about different cultures.</p>

<p>Each neighborhood whether it was an Irish, Greek, Jewish, African American had distinct features that you could always pick up on. These neighborhoods were catered around these groups.</p>

<p>Jewish neighborhoods were synagogue centric. Most things that were staples in the Jewish faith were found in and around the synagogue. The reason being is in NY people walked to temple and did not use their cars on the sabath. So if you walked into a market they probably had matzah ball soup. Almost all establishments were Kosher. There were many other idiosynchrosis as well.</p>

<p>Go to an italian neighborhood. Whole different ball game. The deli's were not kosher. They had staples of the Italian diet. Cold cuts galore of all style with big sandwiches. Kosher was a hot dog in these neighborhoods. You could throw a rock through an Italian neighborhood on Sunday morning and not hit a soul because they were probably in Mass. After mass we went home or out to eat and had "dinner" at about 3 oclock. The restaruants catered to that.</p>

<p>In most cases there is a reason for a stereo type or generalization. Enough people of that particular group share enough similarities to make it believable. If I were trying to cater to a demographic, say the Italians, I would study their culture. I wouldn't advertise a pho restaraunt in their neighborhood, I would advertise an Italian deli, like Claro's. That is my favorite. </p>

<p>So if after studying a culture you see these similarities and make a statment as such are you a racist? What really makes me laugh is that each culture will hold on to any possitive Stereotypes and even propogate them. If someone speaks of a negative stereotype they are racist. LOL. </p>

<p>Can you have it both ways? Is it fair then to say that schools with Higher Asian populations do well because of the Asians? Isnt' that a stereo type. I am offended. Oh by the way why am I just Caucasian. I find that offensive. I am not a Cauc, I don't even know what a Cauc is. Is there an area of Asia called Cauc? Why is it ok to group all of us together.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>By the way I noticed old people that can barely see over the steering wheel, wearing old folks hats drive slow and change lanes without looking. So be careful of them too.</p>

<p> </p>

i hate to seem like a bk homer because there are certainly times when i disagree with what he says, but the above comments made me chuckle. at my parents house there are two microwaves. one above the stove and one on the counter. the one above the stove is unused because she cant get a good look at whats in there. she also HATES her electric cooktop with a passion.

<p>I guess everyone's view is different. Regarding Bk's observation of the "kitchen". I thought it was astonishing. I really didn't notice the small details until he pointed them out.</p>

<p>And can we stop with this "racism' stuff. We are all guilty of generalizing other ethnicities. Just admit it. Look at some of the accusers whom had stated Bk's is a racist. But out of the same breath, they made 'racist remarks' about the guy. So the fact that you have these thoughts. You are no different. </p>

Frankly, if I were making the comments that BK was making, the criticisms would be spot on. That's because I would be pulling the comments from out of my behind. As for BK, however, his comments are based his professional observations and research. While his comments might be generalizations, they are backed up by fact, and not single negative experiences.

There's a saying in the design professions along the lines of "If something doesn't work, it's the product, not the person." BK's research is working to make products (homes, cars, etc.) and places (shopping centers, communities) work for more people, particularly for people whose different needs and wants were not considered in the past. Maybe I'm still waking up, but that doesn't strike me as racism, rather inclusion.

Many of you have pointed out my theory of observation. The objects in our environment represent who we are. It is important to be aware of our environment. It is our perception and sometime bias toward places that feel unsafe. This sensing of danger could minimize our risk of getting hurt. Where ever I went I developed a complete mental image of my surroundings and I usually can recall them with relatively accuracy.

In the case of this kitchen photo there are several elements that pointed out the kitchen user is Asian and might be shorter than average. The second microwave on the counter is a dead give away because the one over the range is not within reached. Kitchen counter area is already lacking in order for someone to give up the entire corner for a 2<sup>nd</sup> microwave the need is paramount.

The rice cooker is made by Ziroshi and the indication is the floral pattern at the base of the rice cooker. Only Asian specialty markets carry this brand. My assumption of an Asian owner is very likely. The rice cooker is unplugged and that is a common electrocuted safety fear for Asians. The rice cooker was not pushed far back against the wall is another sign of a shorter arm dimension.

The low pedestal table for the phone is another indication of height. The protective cloth over furniture is another classic for Asians. Many put protective cloth over furniture, car upholstery and dash board for their cherished possessions. The thin phone book under the phone is an Asian business directory characterized by the square logo (Chinese character has square proportion) located at the spine.

The objects place on top of the microwave is also another indicator for accessibility. The upper cabinets are not convenient within reach by a shorter individual.

Many older Asians do not use dish washer so the dish rack and rubber mat is another indicator. Yes there is a dish washer to the right of the sink not shown in the picture. The clue of the partial shown upper cabinet to the right indicates another 3 foot of space.

Asians view kitchen differently than Caucasian. The messy presentation of a kitchen does not bother them whereas for Caucasian there has to be some sort of tidiness before a photo shoot. Caucasians shop at Sur LA Table and William Sonoma while Asians are not their consumer demographic. The lack of matching emphasis in color, linen, and utensils is an indication of an Asian user.

Lastly, Asians utilize less of their outdoor space so the patio is not used at all. They are more concerned with safety than most Caucasians. When Asians plant anything the plant has to offer a lot. Asians love dramatic blossom and that is why Asian arts and especially Chinese focused so much on the beauty of flowers such as Peonies, Camellias, Azaleas, and Orchids. The roses with thorns are the choice to make it a little more difficult for burglar to climb in the sliding window next to the front door at the same time offer the beauty of aesthetic.

I just do not see why my conclusion is arbitrary.

wow... good eye!

the irony is there's far more thoughtfulness in his <em>generalizations</em> than in the criticisms of his generalizations.

<p>Bkshopr, I resent you insinuating that my wife is caucasian simply because she shops at Sur La Table and is, in fact, caucasian. This kind of racist judgement simply can not be allowed to stand unchallenged, therefore I am forced to stand on principles I don't actually put into personal practice and make random accusations completely unsupported by any facts implying that you are not just biased, but in fact prejudiced against white people. </p>

<a href="../../../account/138/">ns2524</a>,

I'm one of the many that enjoy reading bkshopr's posts, though of course like most people, I don't agree with him on everything. Rather than criticizing bkshopr for the things you don't agree about, why don't you present an alternative view or way to understand his observations? Just saying a comment is racist and a person shouldn't write about that topic doesn't help expand our knowledge base.

bkshopr,

Some of the senior guys in <a href="http://www.watg.com">this firm</a> have been reading your posts.

In fact, they told me about this blog a couple months ago when I visited their office. Too bad they don't normally do residential .....or would you be interested in going global?

<p>I admire their works over the last 30 years. The founders started in Hawaii and I have followed their success over the years. They studied the local cultures before starting their designs so the creation of every hotel represent the the lifestyle, culture, arts and materials of the exotic native lands oversea and abroad. This is the reason why people travel. The setting of a hotel should be in the foremost important memory maker for vacationers during their precious time.</p>

<p>I have thought about it. The local major companies are great to work with, WATG is incredibly well known for their designs and the lavish mansions at many of the Vegas hotels. They know how to theme their hotels to be just one of a kind. Celebrities like Quincy Jones hires them to design his house because they know luxury and hospitality.</p>

I do not have a problem with bk’s professional opinions regarding his research and real estate knowledge. I just disagree with him saying Asians are short, rice eating, slow drivers and hate electric cook tops. He can tell this to his boss to make marketing decisions. He can not preach that on a public blog. A common courtesy for all cultures and nationalities living in this country. He would not be allowed to say it on TV. He would not be allowed to print it in times or any major news paper. He might get away with it on Limbaugh. His opinion on short rice eating slow driving Asians has nothing to do with being a “bear in the housing market”. That’s what brought us all together in the first place.

ns2524 -- you know, the 1st Amendment gives us all certain protections. bk can certainly say all those things and more on television, in a newspaper, or in any other public forum (though I disagree with your assessment that this is a "public" blog).

Back