Distance learning?

Bloomberg: Covid-19 Infections on the Rise in Kids and Teens With School Approaching

In producing this report, Bloomberg gathered data from state health departments across the U.S. Here?s a breakdown among selected states:

State Hotspots:
Arizona: 11% of total cases in those younger than 20.
California: 8.4% in those younger than 18.
Mississippi: 9.4% in those under 18.
Washington state: 11% in those 20 and younger.
Tennessee: 4.5% of cases involving those 10 and under, and 11% for those 11 through 20.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...infections-mount-with-schools-eyeing-openings

You know honestly? Schools are just going to be distance learning if schools open for traditional and then have to shut down because of 1 case. I am doubtful they would reopen because imagine the chaos it would have on parents have to keep adjusting their schedule on a whim.

Cares said:
You know honestly? Schools are just going to be distance learning if schools open for traditional and then have to shut down because of 1 case. I am doubtful they would reopen because imagine the chaos it would have on parents have to keep adjusting their schedule on a whim.

Yep.

But... some people want their in-person school no matter what... and without masks.

I understand the reasoning behind it... harder to learn, not all kids can do distance learning (esp those who don't have the resources) and the stigma of masks for kids... but until we answer all the Covid questions, get a vaccine and establish guaranteed treatment... what else can we do?

People need to adjust and figure out how to make distance learning work for their kids.

Cares said:

Think of the blame game if the kid gets covid in school. Soccer/tiger moms will be at the office complaining and blaming the school, classmates, teachers, and other parents. Idk

Parents of children in elementary school--are you opting for the Virtual Academy? Looks like the emails are suggesting that the advantage to choosing the Traditional or Hybrid option is that, if school reopens at any point, then students can immediately go back to school and to their assigned teacher, whereas if those in the Virtual Academy want to go back, they will have to wait until the next trimester.

I spent some time looking at the Florida Virtual website (which will serve as the "jumping off" point for IUSD's Virtual Academy) and the sample lessons seem decent. Do we think that the distance learning that schools will develop from scratch for the Traditional/Hybrid models will be any better? My instinct says no...even though they're saying it will be better than this past Spring.

So what's everyone planning?

winterblues said:
Parents of children in elementary school--are you opting for the Virtual Academy? Looks like the emails are suggesting that the advantage to choosing the Traditional or Hybrid option is that, if school reopens at any point, then students can immediately go back to school and to their assigned teacher, whereas if those in the Virtual Academy want to go back, they will have to wait until the next trimester.

I spent some time looking at the Florida Virtual website (which will serve as the "jumping off" point for IUSD's Virtual Academy) and the sample lessons seem decent. Do we think that the distance learning that schools will develop from scratch for the Traditional/Hybrid models will be any better? My instinct says no...even though they're saying it will be better than this past Spring.

So what's everyone planning?

We are just going to do the Virtual Academy for the first trimester. Main reason is due to the current status of the outbreak. Does anyone have confidence between now and the end of the year? Second reason is even if we do Hybrid, 1-2 positive cases (kids or staff) and we are back to Distance Learning again. Might as well start off with DL and get into a stable routine.

Open Open, Open!...

CDC releases new resources and tools to support opening schools

?It is critically important for our public health to open schools this fall,? said CDC Director Dr. Robert R. Redfield. ?The CDC resources released today will help parents, teachers and administrators make practical, safety-focused decisions as this school year begins. I know this has been a difficult time for our Nation?s families. School closures have disrupted normal ways of life for children and parents, and they have had negative health consequences on our youth. CDC is prepared to work with K-12 schools to safely reopen while protecting the most vulnerable.?
[url]https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/p0723-new-resources-tools-schools.html[/url]

New CDC guidelines come down hard in favor of opening schools

(CNN)New US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines on education and child care come down hard in favor of opening schools, saying children don't suffer much from coronavirus, are less likely than adults to spread it and suffer from being out of school.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/23/health/cdc-coronavirus-school-guidelines-new/index.html

morekaos said:
Open Open, Open!...

CDC releases new resources and tools to support opening schools

?It is critically important for our public health to open schools this fall,? said CDC Director Dr. Robert R. Redfield. ?The CDC resources released today will help parents, teachers and administrators make practical, safety-focused decisions as this school year begins. I know this has been a difficult time for our Nation?s families. School closures have disrupted normal ways of life for children and parents, and they have had negative health consequences on our youth. CDC is prepared to work with K-12 schools to safely reopen while protecting the most vulnerable.?
[url]https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/p0723-new-resources-tools-schools.html[/url]

New CDC guidelines come down hard in favor of opening schools

(CNN)New US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines on education and child care come down hard in favor of opening schools, saying children don't suffer much from coronavirus, are less likely than adults to spread it and suffer from being out of school.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/23/health/cdc-coronavirus-school-guidelines-new/index.html

Agree, Agree, Agree.

Back