Distance learning?

irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:
They both like being with their friends and working from home is easier.

Waitaminnut.

You send your kids out but you are still staying at home? What happened to "If I die, I die"? :)

#doasqwersaysnotasqwerdoes

Do as I say, not as I do.  ;)

Looks like a simple statement of fact. Besides work from home or work in person is really his employer's call in conjunction with State and County. 

Let's be honest, the kids going back to a predictable school, care pattern is a precursor to people returning to office and work environments.

I also hope qwerty will post weekly updates and that his kids, classmates and the surrounding families and staff stay healthy.  They are essentially a trial case for in person school over the next month before traditional school years kick off.

I think qwerty said before he can return to his office... he is *choosing* not to.

He can *choose* to not send his kids into school... but better them than him right? :)

All kidding aside, I do hope they all stay safe... my kids are worried about the upcoming school year because if Covid-20 hits, it's basically a bad situation for both education and sports.

Depends on the value you perceive in distance learning.  That is an interesting question, how effective is distance learning?

This past Spring's model I would rate at 30%ish for late elementary.  So much of what is the real educational goals was just dropped.  Collaboration, concensus building, etc.  Great for basic skills like arithmetic but progressively worse as the skills get softer.  Group work, out the window.  Reading tests?  Nada. Collaborative social studies project?  Sheesh, watch a video and answer five questions. 

Work is hopefully much higher.  Not to mention any leadership role isn't really deciding just for themselves, if its optional, the VP shows up, the directors follow, then the managers and all the workers that aren't figuratively just punching a clock.  Honestly, cut the BS meetings and socializing in the office and wfh in white collar roles can be more productive.

Judgement day for the sports piece is July 20 when CIF announces their plans for fall HS sports in California. I assume from there, it filters down to travel ball, club teams, rec leagues, etc. Heard some rumblings that the likelihood of fall rec leagues are low as it stands now.

irvinehomeowner said:
I think qwerty said before he can return to his office... he is *choosing* not to.

He can *choose* to not send his kids into school... but better them than him right? :)

All kidding aside, I do hope they all stay safe... my kids are worried about the upcoming school year because if Covid-20 hits, it's basically a bad situation for both education and sports.

If the kids get it, then his whole family gets it. 
Unless kids are not contagious.

bones said:
Judgement day for the sports piece is July 20 when CIF announces their plans for fall HS sports in California. I assume from there, it filters down to travel ball, club teams, rec leagues, etc. Heard some rumblings that the likelihood of fall rec leagues are low as it stands now.

Same. The increasing cases in Cali isn't helping.

It's interesting how the 3-week shutdown of indoor gatherings coincides with July 20... even if that helps and they decide to reopen... and people don't adhere to guidelines, won't that just put us back?

Summer practice camps have already been postponed twice for my kids... I think they may just be cancelled (as the summer club league was)... and fall sports are next.

Youtube has taught me so much useful shit.
I would say personal instruction is the best, but the falloff for youtube learned skills is only about 30%...so you're still getting 70% absorption. 

I took apart an Iphone 4 trying to fix some dirt in the camera, and it wouldn't turn back on after i put it back together.

irvinehomeowner said:

Our offices have not reopened. I can go to the office if I needed to get something done that I can?t get done at home but I?ve been able to do everything from home with no issues. Our office is a ghost town anyway so i would be there by myself.  Without a good reason to go, HR won?t let us in.

irvinehomeowner said:

Yeah I don?t have to send them in now but I felt bad for them and they would have to start at their respective schools in about about a month anyway. They wanted to go back anyway as they missed their friends. So may as well get them used to the routine and get them on a path back to normal life.

As an update,  because this was a holiday weekend my daughters school asked if went to any events that would have exposed us to covid. We did not so she was allowed back. If we had, we would have had to keep her home for two days to mint or for symptoms.

I?m sure some parents probably lied to get their kids back in on Monday.

If you really want to go to the office. You can say that you do not have internet or your internet connection is not that good. (just saying)

Don%u2019t forget to yell at someone for wearing a mask. Jk

qwerty said:

And this is why it will be difficult to control spread.

Relatives of ours had a "small" party last weekend and told us that it would only be a few people. We decided not to go because we knew that there was no way they could limit it. Saw pictures and there were way more people than they had said... no social distancing and no masks.

I hope it doesn't turn out like those stories I've been reading where family gatherings are ending up with high positivity results.

irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:

And this is why it will be difficult to control spread.

Relatives of ours had a "small" party last weekend and told us that it would only be a few people. We decided not to go because we knew that there was no way they could limit it. Saw pictures and there were way more people than they had said... no social distancing and no masks.

I hope it doesn't turn out like those stories I've been reading where family gatherings are ending up with high positivity results.

It is not American to wear masks. (that is what people that wear red caps say)  :)

irvinehomeowner said:
bones said:

It's interesting how the 3-week shutdown of indoor gatherings coincides with July 20... even if that helps and they decide to reopen... and people don't adhere to guidelines, won't that just put us back?

Summer practice camps have already been postponed twice for my kids... I think they may just be cancelled (as the summer club league was)... and fall sports are next.

One of my kids is back on the field for practices for one of the sports.  Not sure how much fun it'll be if the no games/scrimmages/tournaments rule continue though.  Guess it's just amped up PE :)

bones said:
irvinehomeowner said:
bones said:

One of my kids is back on the field for practices for one of the sports.  Not sure how much fun it'll be if the no games/scrimmages/tournaments rule continue though.  Guess it's just amped up PE :)

Physical exercise, sun, fresh air and a schedule to go do.  Win!

bones said:
nosuchreality said:
Physical exercise, sun, fresh air and a schedule to go do.  Win!

Yes for sure.  Kid is happy.
Both my kids are doing some activities (1 back in school, the other in a summer school program). Have my fingers crossed, but they have been absolutely exstatic going through it and both places seem to be doing a good job. But obviously there is some level of risk, but my presumption is, they also have that risk if they go to the grocery store or anywhere else with us as well and this in particular is really good for them.

I'm also assuming things will eventually get shut back down (education wise) so if I can get them 4-6 safe weeks in where they get to see some friends, do some hands on work (with real teachers), etc.  Than that is a good thing and it is also really good for the parent / child dynamic too (IMO).  Every aspect of my kids demeanor changed to the better when they went back (not that they were having issues, but their energy, enthusiasm, and overall happiness was just noticeably better). 

Now to that point - I just hope the kids stay safe and the places they go to maintain strong safety protocols (but I recognize nothing is perfect).

qwerty said:
For what its worth, the CDC said there is no evidence of kids spreading but they did say they haven?t really looked at it.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/08/cdc...spread-but-the-us-isnt-testing-many-kids.html

Other countries do seem to seem to be doing ok with their kids going back to school.

Here is a good article regarding opening schools from June 24. A coupe of weeks old but a good read
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wi...ous-to-treat-schools-like-covid-hot-zones/amp

There's also this article from yesterday that I found useful.
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/202...t-ways-keep-coronavirus-bay-despite-outbreaks

Looks like there is some data to suggest the risk is pretty low for elementary school spread due to age.  Dicier for high schools.  The article also points out that it's not just about what adjustments the schools make, it's about how much of the virus is circulating in the community.  I think some of the opening plans we see in the next month will be based on some of that.

qwerty said:
For what its worth, the CDC said there is no evidence of kids spreading but they did say they haven?t really looked at it.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/08/cdc...spread-but-the-us-isnt-testing-many-kids.html

Other countries do seem to seem to be doing ok with their kids going back to school.

Here is a good article regarding opening schools from June 24. A coupe of weeks old but a good read
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wi...ous-to-treat-schools-like-covid-hot-zones/amp
A challenge is Florida & Texas are both seeing upticks in their child daycare facilities (which has me nervous). I think non US data isn't super helpful since everywhere else has stopped the spread of this better than we have. 

It is dissapointing the CDC hasn't spent more time looking into this as I would think you have a lot of data across those facilities that were left open for essential workers (ie., hospital run daycare facilities, etc). 

Back