Distance learning?

@bones - I think you mentioned the minimum time for grades 1-3 was about 240 minutes. I think you are right as TUSD does 2.5 hours of live distance learning + 90-110 minutes of busywork after the fact.

I?ll have to see how the first month goes. If we are not happy with it we may do a private school with in class learning. A lot of the local private schools seem to have applied for waivers for in person learning and it seems most of them open back half of August. Fairmont isn?t to far away north Tustin so we may potentially give that a shot if the get the waiver and we don?t like the online learning.  What will suck is if we pull out of TUSD and then they somehow miraculously switch to the hybrid model. I don?t want to keep switching back and forth. It will probably be easier to supplement the distance learning than switching back and forth. 

nosuchreality said:
Because in person they teach by walking around and seeing what's happening.

Clearly they didn't plan for not being able to do that.

Meanwhile in TUSD, I've received 17 text msgs followed by 17 robo-calls with automated voice reciting the email contents since Tuesday from the district and class and doesn't count the messages I didn't get from the Principal's notices because they only go to my spouse's phone.  Both cell phones and the home phone all tend to ring at the same time and due to email volumes even though marked VIP and safe, the email keeps getting picked off by spam filter.  There are probably a facebook, instagram or tweet I'm missing too.

We have a LMS so why they aren't using the LMS they told us we all need to use is beyond me.

Because they have no incentive to keep kids since CA passed SB98. Districts will get the same funding as last year regardless of how many kids leave. 

Yup - the 3 minute voicemails reading me an email I already read is... not great.

I know some parents who took their kids to Taiwan, and are doing distance learning at 2AM...LOL.  Normal life in Taiwan except for the midnight to morning classes.

qwerty said:
@bones - I think you mentioned the minimum time for grades 1-3 was about 240 minutes. I think you are right as TUSD does 2.5 hours of live distance learning + 90-110 minutes of busywork after the fact.

I?ll have to see how the first month goes. If we are not happy with it we may do a private school with in class learning. A lot of the local private schools seem to have applied for waivers for in person learning and it seems most of them open back half of August. Fairmont isn?t to far away north Tustin so we may potentially give that a shot if the get the waiver and we don?t like the online learning.  What will suck is if we pull out of TUSD and then they somehow miraculously switch to the hybrid model. I don?t want to keep switching back and forth. It will probably be easier to supplement the distance learning than switching back and forth. 

It will be interesting to see how OC handles all the waivers.  LA County has come out and said they're not approving waivers from any school.  Every OC private school I know has applied - some are banking on getting it.... that's how they're justifying full tuition for fall. 

zubs said:
I know some parents who took their kids to Taiwan, and are doing distance learning at 2AM...LOL.  Normal life in Taiwan except for the midnight to morning classes.

Perfect. Hit up night markets and then go to school. I'm down for that life haha except Taiwan weather is humid as balls right now.

May God be with us all as we begin the school year.........I can't even imagine working parents with multiple young children in virtual school.

I?m already burned out from Day 1 with my 2nd grader (IVA). I didn?t have any Zoom calls of my own for work today, but it will be a mess when I do tomorrow.

zubs said:
Yes ...have a kid my child's class who is doing remotely from Taiwan.

Zoom school the way public schools are doing it just doesn't work for elementary. But OC fell below the state monitoring thresholds yesterday so there's hope!

Lets get back to face to face, this stuff is a waste of time...

NYC Catholic Schools Set to Return to Fully In-Person Classes, 5 Days A Week
The Archdiocese of New York and the Diocese of Brooklyn announced Tuesday that their schools will reopen in September for in-person classes full time, five days a week
"Ninety-five percent of our schools are planning a 100 percent in-person instruction starting in September," said Joan McMaster, the associate superintendent for the Diocese. "The remaining will be the five percent, which will be doing a hybrid program."
Parents were given a choice if they'd like to enroll their children remotely, and roughly 500 parents opted for that ? about three percent of the total student population.

"For those parents who wish to keep their children home still, they're not completely comfortable with everything that is going on, we have created the St. Thomas Aquinas distance learning Catholic program. That is a complete remote program," said McMaster.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/nyc-catholic-schools-set-to-return-to-fully-in-person-classes-5-days-a-week/2574423/

morekaos said:

The Archdiocese of New York and the Diocese of Brooklyn announced Tuesday that their schools will reopen in September for in-person classes full time, five days a week
"Ninety-five percent of our schools are planning a 100 percent in-person instruction starting in September," said Joan McMaster, the associate superintendent for the Diocese. "The remaining will be the five percent, which will be doing a hybrid program."
Parents were given a choice if they'd like to enroll their children remotely, and roughly 500 parents opted for that ? about three percent of the total student population.

"For those parents who wish to keep their children home still, they're not completely comfortable with everything that is going on, we have created the St. Thomas Aquinas distance learning Catholic program. That is a complete remote program," said McMaster.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/nyc-catholic-schools-set-to-return-to-fully-in-person-classes-5-days-a-week/2574423/

Yeah that worked out great for Georgia schools and Notre Dame!

Cares said:
zubs said:

Perfect. Hit up night markets and then go to school. I'm down for that life haha except Taiwan weather is humid as balls right now.

Wait...have you checked Southern California weather in the last month?

Irvinecommuter said:
morekaos said:

Georgia only closed a portion of the whole 30,000 still in school and Notre Dame is on a two week pause but will re open fully. We should too. Notre Dame High and Mount Saint Marys are fully opening face to face.

morekaos said:
Irvinecommuter said:
morekaos said:

Georgia only closed a portion of the whole 30,000 still in school and Notre Dame is on a two week pause but will re open fully. We should too. Notre Dame High and Mount Saint Marys are fully opening face to face.

This sounds just likely what Abbot and DeSantis said in June.

So...the places that started face to face are now going to remote but we should go to face-to-face?
https://www.ajc.com/news/breaking-f...e-due-to-covid-19/QELM4YYBLRGNNGXYNE6YWPI6VI/

I mean..it's just like the flu!  No long term effects!

Georgia State freshman quarterback Mikele Colasurdo announced he will not play this season due to a recently-diagnosed heart condition after he became infected with COVID-19.

"I am very thankful for everyone who has reached out and prayed for me," Colasurdo wrote Thursday in a statement posted to his Twitter account.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...rdo-out-condition-linked-covid-19/5617524002/

morekaos said:
100% open, open, open! Oc will be off the list soon, watch how many private schools open.

LOL...that's because private schools need the tuition money.  It's the same reason why the charter school loving members of OC Board of Education pretended that COVID was not a real thing and that kids should not wear masks because hey...they are not going to keep them on anyways. 

During the meeting in Costa Mesa Monday night, most of the 22 speakers allowed to address the board said they want schools to return to normal. One of those speakers was Jeff Barke, the husband of Board President Mari Barke.

A former school board member at Los Alamitos Unified, Jeff Barke is also a doctor who has shared his views against face masks on social media and while demonstrating in Huntington Beach. He helped found a charter school in Orange with a curriculum focused on ?classical education.? On Monday night, he thanked the board for another stance they took during their meeting: a resolution urging the California Legislature and Gov. Newsom to support funding for growing school districts and charter schools.
https://www.ocregister.com/2020/07/...rn-to-school-without-social-distancing-masks/

You think rich people are going to send their kids back to school?  They just hire private tutors.
https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2020/8/6/21354637/pandemic-learning-pods-private-tutoring

It's like all those rural county megachurch who need the donation plate so they are willing to risk the lives of their staff and the congregations. 

Again...stop with the "I care about society or freedom" front..just say, "money is more important than poor people" and save everyone a lot of time and energy.

Renew! Renew!

UNC-Chapel Hill has seen the highest number of coronavirus cases of the 17 UNC System institutions, given available data from each institution.

UNC?s COVID-19 dashboard was updated Monday afternoon to show 135 new COVID-19 cases reported in students and employees last week. Shortly after this data update, the University sent a formal notice shifting all undergraduate courses to remote instruction beginning Wednesday.

As of Wednesday, UNC has reported six COVID-19 clusters ? four in student residences and two in off-campus fraternity houses.

According to the formal notice, the University had tested 954 students as of Monday morning. Between both on and off-campus spaces, 177 students were in isolation and 349 were in quarantine since then.

The positivity rate for UNC-Chapel Hill's coronavirus cases last week was 13.6 percent, nearly five times the 2.8 percent positivity rate reported the previous week, when classes had not yet begun

https://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2020/08/unc-system-covid

nosuchreality said:
Renew! Renew!

UNC-Chapel Hill has seen the highest number of coronavirus cases of the 17 UNC System institutions, given available data from each institution.

UNC?s COVID-19 dashboard was updated Monday afternoon to show 135 new COVID-19 cases reported in students and employees last week. Shortly after this data update, the University sent a formal notice shifting all undergraduate courses to remote instruction beginning Wednesday.

As of Wednesday, UNC has reported six COVID-19 clusters ? four in student residences and two in off-campus fraternity houses.

According to the formal notice, the University had tested 954 students as of Monday morning. Between both on and off-campus spaces, 177 students were in isolation and 349 were in quarantine since then.

The positivity rate for UNC-Chapel Hill's coronavirus cases last week was 13.6 percent, nearly five times the 2.8 percent positivity rate reported the previous week, when classes had not yet begun

https://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2020/08/unc-system-covid

I mean...you would think the "it will go away if we ignore it" position has been debunked already but yet here we still are...

Back