Distance learning?

Who's ready for distance learning 2.0?  Out of the local school districts, TUSD is up first right?  I heard somewhere that the Tustin Connect Academy had about 100-200 students enrolled last year, and this year, they have 7,000+.

Been doing some back to school shopping.  Last year, I bought lunch boxes and book bags.  This year, it's wobble stools and stalking IKEA for sold out desk restocks.

Also, NSR's nightmare come true.  Student takes COVID test but family sent kid to school anyway.  https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/03/us/indiana-student-covid-positive-school/index.html

eyephone said:
USA Today: 260 employees in Georgia's largest school district test positive for COVID-19 or are exposed

Gwinnett County Public School teachers gathered for in-person planning Wednesday at 141 facilities across the county, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported. The next day about 260 employees were excluded from work because of the  coronavirus.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-tested-positive-exposed-covid-19/5571105002/

I have not been around to rib Panda like I always do but this pandemic shows in part why California >>> Georgia. 

nosuchreality said:
Hoping a lot of teachers spent the summer watching social media stars and took notes.

I think some have.  I see some super elaborate/pinterest worthy Google site setups making the rounds.  Unfortunately a snazzy website doesn't make up for the fact that public elementary school is 5 hours of zoom a day. 

bones said:
nosuchreality said:
Hoping a lot of teachers spent the summer watching social media stars and took notes.

I think some have.  I see some super elaborate/pinterest worthy Google site setups making the rounds.  Unfortunately a snazzy website doesn't make up for the fact that public elementary school is 5 hours of zoom a day. 

5 hours? TUSD is three hours and they said they expect the student to do another 90-110 minutes after that on their own or with their parents help. I thought was pretty shitty. Perhaps the extra 90-110 minutes is stiff that the kids can manage well on their own but for working parents it will be tough to do.

qwerty said:
bones said:
nosuchreality said:

5 hours? TUSD is three hours and they said they expect the student to do another 90-110 minutes after that on their own or with their parents help. I thought was pretty shitty. Perhaps the extra 90-110 minutes is stiff that the kids can manage well on their own but for working parents it will be tough to do.

Is she in kinder?  I think the instructional minutes vary by grade (per Newsom).  I think ours is 5 hours total: 4 online + 1 hour break.

qwerty said:
2nd grade

Oh then I don?t know. I thought I read somewhere it?s 240 minutes for gr 1-3 but I don?t know what counts under that 240. My kids aren?t going to public school - zoom for that many hours with that many kids isn?t productive.

Irvinehomeseeker said:
Sample Schedule provided for Irvine Virtual Academy:

Honestly...I see this being the future rather than just the temporary.  I can see a hybrid system in which children spend half in classrooms and half on line.

Irvinehomeseeker said:
Sample Schedule provided for Irvine Virtual Academy

This is less zoom than I thought but the choppiness of the schedule isn't great.  We had this similar schedule in March/April and if you have multiple kids, you really have to stay on top of their calendar.  Also hard to constantly adjust from live zoom to random independent work to distractions around the house.  Rather have 2 days of live teaching and the other 3 days offline completely for babysitter/tutor/off site.

Didn't miss it - just didn't bother with it.  15 minutes will just get eaten up by tech issues, random musings and dumb questions.  Why bother logging in.

Because in person they teach by walking around and seeing what's happening.

Clearly they didn't plan for not being able to do that.

Meanwhile in TUSD, I've received 17 text msgs followed by 17 robo-calls with automated voice reciting the email contents since Tuesday from the district and class and doesn't count the messages I didn't get from the Principal's notices because they only go to my spouse's phone.  Both cell phones and the home phone all tend to ring at the same time and due to email volumes even though marked VIP and safe, the email keeps getting picked off by spam filter.  There are probably a facebook, instagram or tweet I'm missing too.

We have a LMS so why they aren't using the LMS they told us we all need to use is beyond me.

Back