Distance learning?

bones said:
qwerty said:
For what its worth, the CDC said there is no evidence of kids spreading but they did say they haven?t really looked at it.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/08/cdc...spread-but-the-us-isnt-testing-many-kids.html

Other countries do seem to seem to be doing ok with their kids going back to school.

Here is a good article regarding opening schools from June 24. A coupe of weeks old but a good read
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wi...ous-to-treat-schools-like-covid-hot-zones/amp

There's also this article from yesterday that I found useful.
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/202...t-ways-keep-coronavirus-bay-despite-outbreaks

Looks like there is some data to suggest the risk is pretty low for elementary school spread due to age.  Dicier for high schools.  The article also points out that it's not just about what adjustments the schools make, it's about how much of the virus is circulating in the community.  I think some of the opening plans we see in the next month will be based on some of that.
This is really good and aligned a lot with the research I did before opting to send my kids for the next month (but I'd be 1st to admit the last week got me more nervous with the community levels increasing).  I'm curious to see how things trend in the next 1-2 weeks in OC. Today was really bad in OC (Irvine has consistently trended up as well)...but there also is a bit of an anomaly in the recent data (technically yesterday - since it had a higher volume due to the holiday weekend and holdups in testing). 

irvinehomeowner said:
My friend's daycare had to reclose due to an employee testing positive.

This is in LA county so qwerty is ok.

Can't remember if it was this thread or the corona thread, but 2 summer programs at IUSD schools closed for a couple weeks due to someone testing positive and was in close contact at those programs with other kids.  Good luck to everyone with kids at schools/camps/daycares/sports etc...hopefully no one gets Covid. 

akkord said:
irvinehomeowner said:
My friend's daycare had to reclose due to an employee testing positive.

This is in LA county so qwerty is ok.

Can't remember if it was this thread or the corona thread, but 2 summer programs at IUSD schools closed for a couple weeks due to someone testing positive and was in close contact at those programs with other kids.  Good luck to everyone with kids at schools/camps/daycares/sports etc...hopefully no one gets Covid. 

76 of 1333 positive results today are age 0-17.  A one day 7.6% jump over previous total.

Welp. Spoke too soon about youth sports and how it?s glorified PE. They?re taking it away.

https://cms.ocgov.com/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?BlobID=116637&fbclid=IwAR0LGsrmJHu86iSgO-eC43RwCCkxCz23a3DgB_LMQ-dcG_pJ1C8X8M5inzQ

bones said:
Welp. Spoke too soon about youth sports and how it?s glorified PE. They?re taking it away.

https://cms.ocgov.com/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?BlobID=116637&fbclid=IwAR0LGsrmJHu86iSgO-eC43RwCCkxCz23a3DgB_LMQ-dcG_pJ1C8X8M5inzQ

I?m currently posting from my sons soccer practice.  The team is gonna be bummed and the soccer league was taking all necessary precautions.  The kids are bound to their individual squares and they can?t leave it without masking up.  It was feeling like a bit of normalcy for him having this back.  Guess this will be his last practice for awhile.  Sux.

aquabliss said:
bones said:

I?m currently posting from my sons soccer practice.  The team is gonna be bummed and the soccer league was taking all necessary precautions.  The kids are bound to their individual squares and they can?t leave it without masking up.  It was feeling like a bit of normalcy for him having this back.  Guess this will be his last practice for awhile.  Sux.

Def sucks for all the kids.
I?ve always side eyed the day camp loophole though. If they were ok with youth sports to resume, why not just say so outright? Once HS sports cancelled practices, youth sports were doomed.

I tend to agree with that approach. I know these aren?t normal
Times but kids need to learn we can?t have years of distance learning without causing long term consequences.

I do find it funny that teachers are signing petitions not to go back unless it?s safe to do so. If grocery stores, Home Depot, Amazon, target and Walmart, etc used this approach we would all die of starvation. Well except for momopi

Someone forward this to OC Board education.

CNN: Texas coronavirus cases top 1,300 from child care facilities alone

As parents nationwide wonder if it's safe to send kids back to day care, Texas is grappling with a surge of Covid-19 cases from child care centers.

At least 1,335 people have tested positive from child care facilities in Texas, the state's Department of Health and Human Services reported Monday, citing figures from Friday.

Of those infected, 894 were staff members and 441 were children. The cases came from 883 child care facilities that are open in the state, DHHS said.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/06/health/texas-coronavirus-cases-child-care-facilities/index.html

Wake up!

qwerty said:
OC board of education pushing back to normal in all respects. No masks, no distancing. Parents would have option for distance learning.
https://voiceofoc.org/2020/07/oc-bo...chools-returning-with-no-masks-or-distancing/

The OC Board of Education are being political hacks.  No social distancing, no masks (because its hard), is just bad planning.  Its pretending the pandemic isn't happening instead of identifying the appropriate safe guards and bringing children back.

No masks, no social distancing and 35 kids in your 4th grader's class with runny noses is normal.  As a Tustin Board member said, they can educate students without your kid in class but they cannot educate students if the teachers don't make it to class because they get symptoms.

qwerty said:
I tend to agree with that approach. I know these aren?t normal
Times but kids need to learn we can?t have years of distance learning without causing long term consequences.

I do find it funny that teachers are signing petitions not to go back unless it?s safe to do so. If grocery stores, Home Depot, Amazon, target and Walmart, etc used this approach we would all die of starvation.

That's why essential stores used masks and social distancing. You can't compare the two.

The flaw in their argument is they are citing NY child care centers that did use masks and social distancing, so it really doesn't prove their point.

The study directly quoted an NPR article discussing child care centers that had remained open in New York, an early virus hotspot, and how those centers had not seen any virus outbreaks.

But in that same article, NPR broke down how adults and children at those facilities implemented strict social distancing protocols, including breaking the kids off into small groups and keeping them separate from one another, and that face masks were mandatory for all staff and kids.

I understand they they don't want to do face masks or online... but we have to find a balance.

Looks like LA and SD school districts are ONLY doing distant-learning to start the school year.  Wonderful...

If I were in charge, all teaching would be done outdoors in California (for in-person).  Use the various grass fields and black-top, etc. Invest in a bunch of those shade tents and go with it. Reduce class sizes, so adjusted schedule, but outdoors is way safer for everyone involved.

On super hot days, school just is done remotely (same with rainy days).

Bullsback said:
If I were in charge, all teaching would be done outdoors in California (for in-person).  Use the various grass fields and black-top, etc. Invest in a bunch of those shade tents and go with it. Reduce class sizes, so adjusted schedule, but outdoors is way safer for everyone involved.

On super hot days, school just is done remotely (same with rainy days).

Outdoor classrooms in tents. They do that in Denmark. (but I am not suppose to say that, comparison of other countries is not allowed on TI)

eyephone said:
Someone forward this to OC Board education.

CNN: Texas coronavirus cases top 1,300 from child care facilities alone

As parents nationwide wonder if it's safe to send kids back to day care, Texas is grappling with a surge of Covid-19 cases from child care centers.

At least 1,335 people have tested positive from child care facilities in Texas, the state's Department of Health and Human Services reported Monday, citing figures from Friday.

Of those infected, 894 were staff members and 441 were children. The cases came from 883 child care facilities that are open in the state, DHHS said.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/06/health/texas-coronavirus-cases-child-care-facilities/index.html

Wake up!

It can only happen in Texas and no other places?
(not risking it yo)

TUSD sent an email tonight. Two learning options. Hybrid learning and 100% online with Tustin Connect.

Hybrid will be 4 days a week and the fifth day will be all online.  The 4 days in school will be broken up in two groups, an AM group and a PM group.

The AM group and PM group each get 3 hours of in person class time. I guess it?s better than nothing

qwerty said:
TUSD sent an email tonight. Two learning options. Hybrid learning and 100% online with Tustin Connect.

Hybrid will be 4 days a week and the fifth day will be all online.  The 4 days in school will be broken up in two groups, an AM group and a PM group.

The AM group and PM group each get 3 hours of in person class time. I guess it?s better than nothing

Time to move to Irvine.

Back