Can Irvine become too Asian?

Irvinecommuter said:
Liar Loan said:
AA said:
What we need is to pressure Hollywood Studios (and other movie makers around the world) to stop making movies making Asian males look like wimpy nerdy geeks or flying kung fu masters.  We need to be portrayed as strong, athletic, good looking, romantic males etc that our Caucasian friends have benefited from for 100+ years.  The power of media influence and how a certain race/ethnicity is portrayed can not be overlooked.  We need more Asian males in dominate business, political and romantic roles.  This is the only way to stop negative stereotypes.

The problem is that Hollywood became too Jewish (white males) for this to happen.

Since when is Jewish = White Male?

White is a color.  Male is a gender.  Jewish is an ethnicity.

But really, I just threw in Jewish to make the oppressed Asians on this thread happy.

more asian males in entertainment business with romantic roles is not really going to work any better. media comes and goes. how do i know? because i work in the industry.
instead of whining how unfair it is, focus on your strength with God's given talent. complaints and blaming games are never a good remedy. become someone with a solution in any given circumstances. this goes the same with non-asians also especially those whining over irvine being too asian or full cash buyers.
having a bit of fun though is never a crime like many people write in this blog. don't take it too seriously over the blog messages and try not to stereotype everything and everyone.

RedComet said:
Yes, a little bit.  I don't mind it so much as I do mind the lack of proper etiquette that some Asian immigrants are bringing with them from their home countries like their bad driving habits. 

Worst drivers I see in Irvine are actually not Asians.  True there are many asians that do not drive well.  Unfortunately for them it is a lack of driving skills.  I would not consider that lack of proper etiquette.  Truly bad driving etiquette is typically seen with younger while males who actually have decent driving skills but choose to drive horribly and without respect of others.

Zion said:
more asian males in entertainment business with romantic roles is not really going to work any better. media comes and goes. how do i know? because i work in the industry.
instead of whining how unfair it is, focus on your strength with God's given talent. complaints and blaming games are never a good remedy. become someone with a solution in any given circumstances. this goes the same with non-asians also especially those whining over irvine being too asian or full cash buyers.
having a bit of fun though is never a crime like many people write in this blog. don't take it too seriously over the blog messages and try not to stereotype everything and everyone.

I am so confused by this post. 

1)  Why would it not work better?  Whitewashing is a legitimate concern.
2)  Are Asian somehow naturally poor actors?  Like God only put good acting genes in white people?
3)  I don't know how being a full-cash buyer is related to someone's race.

Irvinecommuter said:
Zion said:

2)  Are Asian somehow naturally poor actors?  Like God only put good acting genes in white people?

There is nothing stopping wealthy Asians from funding their own movies.  It's a high risk business and the reason Hollywood sticks with certain formulas is because that's what keeps them profitable.  Make the first profitable movie with all Asian actors and it will open the flood gates to many more.  This has happened with other groups in Hollywood (Black Panther being the most recent, timely example). 

Liar Loan said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Zion said:

There is nothing stopping wealthy Asians from funding their own movies.  It's a high risk business and the reason Hollywood sticks with certain formulas is because that's what keeps them profitable.  Make the first profitable movie with all Asian actors and it will open the flood gates to many more.  This has happened with other groups in Hollywood (Black Panther being the most recent, timely example).

Self-fulfilling circle of whitewashing.

Yeah...only had to wait for like 100 years in film making to get Wonder Women and Black Panther.

Black Panther wasn?t the only big movie making big box office history over this long weekend. Today is the Chinese New Year. As such we saw a bunch of big Chinese productions launching in China starting on Friday. And in those first three days of the Fri-Mon holiday, the films in the Chinese marketplace grossed a combined $506 million, including online ticketing fees. That is a record-breaking figure for a single weekend, well-and-above the $305m North American weekend of Dec. 18, 2015 when Star Wars: The Force Awakens earned $248m over its Fri-Sun debut.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...hunt-2-are-both-box-office-game-changers/amp/

eyephone said:
Black Panther wasn?t the only big movie making big box office history over this long weekend. Today is the Chinese New Year. As such we saw a bunch of big Chinese productions launching in China starting on Friday. And in those first three days of the Fri-Mon holiday, the films in the Chinese marketplace grossed a combined $506 million, including online ticketing fees. That is a record-breaking figure for a single weekend, well-and-above the $305m North American weekend of Dec. 18, 2015 when Star Wars: The Force Awakens earned $248m over its Fri-Sun debut.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...hunt-2-are-both-box-office-game-changers/amp/

Yes but 1) SW never done very well in China...now check out transformers and 2) Chinese film industry is still bad and seriously beholden to the CCP.

Behind Wolf Warrior 2?s success was its unabashedly patriotic tone, which meshed well with a rising nationalist sentiment among Chinese citizens, and with Beijing?s desire to play a leading role on the global stage. The movie has been submitted for the 2018 Oscars in the category of Best Foreign Language Film.
https://qz.com/1169192/chinas-all-t...ms-released-in-2017-including-wolf-warrior-2/

The Chinese government also greatly limit the type and no. of films that can be shown in China. 

Chinese movies lean heavily on old Chinese tales/story lines and CGI effects.  Great Wall was basically their best effort at an international film and it had 1) a white leading man and 2) pretty meh storyline.

Good Chinese movies with Asian leads get buried in art house theaters and Netflix/Amazon:  Red Cliff, Infernal Affair (which was a lot better than the Departed), Lust, Caution come to mind. 

Irvinecommuter said:
Liar Loan said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Zion said:

Yeah...only had to wait for like 100 years in film making to get Wonder Women and Black Panther.

Wonder Woman reached Hollywood over 40 years ago, back when you were still just a whiny little Asian kid.

The first big budget Marvel superhero movie was 20 years ago and it featured a black superhero as its lead.

Liar Loan said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Liar Loan said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Zion said:

Wonder Woman reached Hollywood over 40 years ago, back when you were still just a whiny little Asian kid.

The first big budget Marvel superhero movie was 20 years ago and it featured a black superhero as its lead.

Yes...thank you for the history lesson....I guess we reached gender and racial harmony 40 years ago.

Liar Loan said:

Why do I not know what movie this is? I am ashamed as I am an action movie and comic book aficionado.

Edit: Blade?

irvinehomeowner said:
Liar Loan said:

Why do I not know what movie this is? I am ashamed as I am an action movie and comic book aficionado.

Edit: Blade?

Yeah.  Blade was the first Marvel film...then X-men.

Asians aren't asking for sympathy and they certainly don't feel oppressed
..... (because they are too busy succeeding..)

Asians are doing just fine in America...
They work hard and succeed regardless of the negative stereotypes and the unfair "bashing".

Asian males are very successful in America, even with their challenges, and some of YOUR patrionizing jokes. 
... They're doing just fine...

Asians are the least to protest and make demands from the ESTABLISHMENT.
(Asians don't need to protest Hollywood and wast their time.. just keep doing what you're doing...)
Sony Pictures and AMC Theatres are Asian owned.  I believe a Chinese company is establishing a "Netflix" like service soon in the U.S.

Asians work hard, mind their own business and succeed... 
They take care of their families and mind their own business...

They don't expect any type of "affirmative action", the type enjoyed by other minorities... 
.... in fact (as I stated before, there is reverse affirmative action against Asians).

My post is not about "Asian Power"... 
Far from it...

It's about NOT continueing to be talked down at like they are the "INVISIBLE" minority group that can be walked all over by every single "group" in America.

Power comes from the individual.

I noticed NOBODY has taken me up on my offer to provide THEIR ideal ethnic mix in Irvine..
... I hope someone is brave enough to REVEAL their utopian suggestion...

Nobody would ever glibly go on and on about how a city is "too white", "too black", "too hispanic", "too Jewish"....

.... so please give the same respect to the "Asian" individual ..
..who's decided to make Irvine their home.

irvinexxx said:
Nobody would ever glibly go on and on about how a city is "too white", "too black", "too hispanic", "too Jewish"....

You are joking? 
Folks are always complaining about south county being too white, Santa Ana being too Mexican/hispanic, south LA Compton etc being too black.

Back