Can Irvine become too Asian?

irvinexxx said:
And this thread, asking "Can Irvine become too Asian?" is a prime example of this kind of B.S. "public" display of CASUAL marginalization of Asians. 

It's not casual marginalization, it's fear of competition and being colonized. 

In 2012 Spero Dedes using the phrase "chink in the armor" on ESPN referring to Jeremy Lin was a case of casual marginalization and poor choice of words.  It was not tolerated, he had to apologize and was disciplined for by his employer.

Last year, when Takuma Sato won the Indy 500 on Memorial Day weekend, Denver Post columnist Terry Frei wrote a tweet that he felt uncomfortable with a Japanese driver winning the Indy 500 on Memorial Day weekend.  Terry Frei was born in 1955 and his father fought in the Pacific during WW2, including the Battle of Okinawa.  He wrote about his feelings on memorial day but it was not tolerated by the public.  He deleted the tweet and wrote a lengthy apology, but he was branded a racist and fired from his job.  His comments were not "casual marginalization".

When Takuma Sato heard that Terry Frei was fired, he was disappointed.  I agree with Sato's sentiment because there is a difference between Spero Dedes and Terry Frei.  Idiots like Spero needs a spanking.  Terry Frei is someone who should be engaged and talked to by the Asian American community about his feelings and the negative impact that his statement carries.

Can't we all just get along?

hqdefault.jpg

@ spootieho - "You state that people wouldn't say things like that about white people, yet it frequently happens when referring to
white people.  Do you live in a cave?  If you haven't gotten the alert, it's apparently PC to be racist against white people.  I'm not
saying that is okay or not okay.  Basically you are offended because asians are treated like white people in this instance. "

I completely agree with you that it's open season when it comes down to making fun of white people. 
I don't agree with it...  I never said I did.. 
Ironically, the only groups that make fun of whites are hispanics and blacks. 
I've NEVER heard Asians making fun of whites in the media...

What I did say was that a FORUM THREAD would never have a discussion about how there's too many white people in a given city.  << this is what I said...

@ spootieho - " Perfect would have nothing to do with race and a lot to do with culture. "

FINE... GIVE US YOUR PERFECT CULTURAL MIX....

--------------------------------------------------------------

@ Qwerty - "@irvinexxx - id tell you to your face, except in 6? tall and you are 5?4?. So I can?t look you in the face. I guess I could squat
down and tell you to your face.  I?m not just superior to you, im superior to everyone. Get it right. It probably won?t make you feel any
better but I put down all races, all ethnicities. I have white, Persian, Asian and black friends. I make fun of them all the time. You need
to get some tougher skin to play on the Internet
. "

This BIGOT continues to push the agenda that white people are superior (to Asians)
...  (hidden behind his cackling humor, and his keyboard )...

We're supposed to find this funny? IF YOU'RE NOT ASIAN... I SUPPOSE... Go ahead and laugh at their expense...

Mr. @Qwerty...  Do you know me?  Because I don't know you...
You can joke around this way in the privacy of your own friends and family..
but your public PUTDOWN of Asians is disgusting. 
I could be your neighbor, your coworker, or someone in your church... 
So STFU w/ your casual jokes MEANT to BELITTLE my message.

You speak of PUTTING DOWN other ethnicities and races?  Everyone is fair game correct? 
Then go ahead.. why don't you throw some out here... so we can all laugh w/ you... 
Say something about Jews, Blacks or Hispanics..
(I THINK NOT ..)

You having a few token "Asian Friends" doesn't take away from the fact that YOU ARE A BIGOT and harbor a sense of innate superiority. 
(hidden behind the guise of humor)

If I were you, I'd be very humble..
and hope a car doesn't run YOU over and put you in a wheelchair; permanently paraplegic...
where will your sense of superiority be then? 
BE HUMBLE...

@Fortune11  -  More than what is being said , it is the tone and who is saying it ..  QWERTY was obviously saying it in jest , most
people got it and laughed alongside .  We all have friends of different ethnicities and we make fun of each other all the time , doesn?t
mean we are being bigoted . Many of my best friends actually have mixed heritage and you should see the jabs their parents throw at
each other , again all in good humor . But If it was a corporate CEO in the presence of his colleagues in a staff meeting ,  it then sets a
dangerous tone and precedent . That?s when we get to the toxic impact of old boys club on opportunities for other minorities .
Context matters . A lot .

YES ... I completely agree. 
But I'm bringing up a serious topic about race relations, and @Qwerty (big mouth)
decides to turn it into a schoolyard joke, and disrespect someone he doesn't know
... and belittle my message.

I'm pretty sure that @QWERTY is a nice guy once  you get to know him...
... and honestly, he's probably completely clueless about his own behavior...
but his words here are plain BIGOTED AND SHOULD NOT BE TOLERATED BY THE ASIANS LIVING IN IRVINE.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't expect the NON-Asians to remotely even understand what I'm talking about. 
It's obvious given the many misinterpretations (here) and schoolyard bullying and crass jokes (@Qwerty)...

I have lived in America my entire life... 
Kindergarten to college... Career, business...
traveling all over the country... 
Dealing with people from all walks of life... 
I've traveled throughout Europe, South America and Asia... 
I'm not speaking from the perspective of a 15yr old...

99.99% of the time...
I let all this race S@#$@#  flick off me...
I don't have time for it... 
I'm too busy being successful and building my business...

But the Asians on this board, if you've lived here long enough., you should KNOW what I'm talking about...

It's in the media, it's in comedy.. it's in politics....  The casual slighting of Asians in this country...

They are treated like a majority group w/o any majority benefits or minority benefits.  Zilch...
They are getting S##T on both sides...
(It's happening on this very thread..)

I invite you to read through my prior posts on this thread again, and hopefully my message comes through better...

Thank you..

Again... a bigot is someone that is intolerant to someone because of their opinion or beliefs.  It is discriminating based on thought.

But where are the Asians in sports, the media, marketing depts, ceo roles, entertainment....? 

Shinshu Otani is pitching on Saturday. I heard the spring training game is set to be THE biggest spring training game EVER!

Season tickets to the angels are up this year most likely because of Shinshu.

Ichiro did ok. So did Yao Ming and I think there have been some pretty good Olympic Ice Skaters too........ Kristi Yamaguchi, Michelle Kwan. In fact half the Olympic skaters from the United States were Asian Americans this year. Then there is Michelle Wie and in fact over 60 of the top 100 LPGA golfers are Asians. Btw, Tiger Woods is only half black. The other half is um.......... Asian........ So there ya have it, Asians in sports off the top of my head and I'm not even that big of a sports fan.

If Asians are the quality players that pro teams are looking for I'm positive they'll make the team. No one is saying oh they're Asian, don't let them on the team.

What would I like in Irvine........................... more Christians. In fact a revival would be good. There I said it. I guess that makes me a racist. A racist for Jesus. Put me down you put Him down. You want to do that?

@R2D:

Can Irvine become too Christian?

:)

@irvinexxx:

So is talking about someone getting hit by a car and paralyzing them a better joke? Didn't sound like you were joking.

And to answer your question about "utopia", it shouldn't matter what race... just as long as everyone is tolerant of each other. You haven't been on TI long enough to realize that every single ethnicity gets poked at... some more than others... but that's because it comes up more often due to percentages. Even the Asians on this forum can agree about some of the things... you even said that Asians are bad drivers... does that make you a bigot/racist/[hotbuttonword]?

@qwerty:

I'd still bet on Bruce Lee over you... sorry. :)

"Can X become too Y?" is sure to stir up controversy.  It's pretty much the shittiest kind of wanna be journalism headline out there.  This thread was flawed from the moment the incendiary title was written.

Let's all just pass the binger around and chill out.  We're all extremely fortunate to even be able to discuss this topic (despite it's toxicity...).  Can we remember that we're all human beings trying our best to live well with our loved ones it on this planet?  Our gift can be unexpectedly taken away at anytime.  Why waste that unknown remaining amount of time we have left typing angrily on our keyboards to internet strangers?

Asian, Black, White, Hispanic, Indian...  These titles don't mean as much as some people think they mean.  None of them were earned, they just happened.  Thoughtful, helpful, kind, knowledgeable, hardworking, generous, respectful, cautious, law abiding, encouraging, empathetic...  those titles mean something because they have to be earned... And anyone can earn them no matter what they look like or where they were born.

/steps off soapbox

Can this thread become too forgotten?  May it rest in peace.

Irvinexxx is the new YF.

(Sitting back eating popcorn and laughing, TI entertainment)
It?s like watching your neighbor arguing. Lol

irvinexxx said:
@ spootieho - "You state that people wouldn't say things like that about white people, yet it frequently happens when referring to
white people.  Do you live in a cave?  If you haven't gotten the alert, it's apparently PC to be racist against white people.  I'm not
saying that is okay or not okay.  Basically you are offended because asians are treated like white people in this instance. "

I completely agree with you that it's open season when it comes down to making fun of white people. 
I don't agree with it...  I never said I did.. 
Ironically, the only groups that make fun of whites are hispanics and blacks. 
I've NEVER heard Asians making fun of whites in the media...

What I did say was that a FORUM THREAD would never have a discussion about how there's too many white people in a given city.  << this is what I said...

@ spootieho - " Perfect would have nothing to do with race and a lot to do with culture. "

FINE... GIVE US YOUR PERFECT CULTURAL MIX....

@ Qwerty - "@irvinexxx - id tell you to your face, except in 6? tall and you are 5?4?. So I can?t look you in the face. I guess I could squat
down and tell you to your face.  I?m not just superior to you, im superior to everyone. Get it right. It probably won?t make you feel any
better but I put down all races, all ethnicities. I have white, Persian, Asian and black friends. I make fun of them all the time. You need
to get some tougher skin to play on the Internet
. "

This BIGOT continues to push the agenda that white people are superior (to Asians)
...  (hidden behind his cackling humor, and his keyboard )...

We're supposed to find this funny? IF YOU'RE NOT ASIAN... I SUPPOSE... Go ahead and laugh at their expense...

Mr. @Qwerty...  Do you know me?  Because I don't know you...
You can joke around this way in the privacy of your own friends and family..
but your public PUTDOWN of Asians is disgusting. 
I could be your neighbor, your coworker, or someone in your church... 
So STFU w/ your casual jokes MEANT to BELITTLE my message.

You speak of PUTTING DOWN other ethnicities and races?  Everyone is fair game correct? 
Then go ahead.. why don't you throw some out here... so we can all laugh w/ you... 
Say something about Jews, Blacks or Hispanics..
(I THINK NOT ..)

You having a few token "Asian Friends" doesn't take away from the fact that YOU ARE A BIGOT and harbor a sense of innate superiority. 
(hidden behind the guise of humor)

If I were you, I'd be very humble..
and hope a car doesn't run YOU over and put you in a wheelchair; permanently paraplegic...
where will your sense of superiority be then? 
BE HUMBLE...

@Fortune11  -  More than what is being said , it is the tone and who is saying it ..  QWERTY was obviously saying it in jest , most
people got it and laughed alongside .  We all have friends of different ethnicities and we make fun of each other all the time , doesn?t
mean we are being bigoted . Many of my best friends actually have mixed heritage and you should see the jabs their parents throw at
each other , again all in good humor . But If it was a corporate CEO in the presence of his colleagues in a staff meeting ,  it then sets a
dangerous tone and precedent . That?s when we get to the toxic impact of old boys club on opportunities for other minorities .
Context matters . A lot .

YES ... I completely agree. 
But I'm bringing up a serious topic about race relations, and @Qwerty (big mouth)
decides to turn it into a schoolyard joke, and disrespect someone he doesn't know
... and belittle my message.

I'm pretty sure that @QWERTY is a nice guy once  you get to know him...
... and honestly, he's probably completely clueless about his own behavior...
but his words here are plain BIGOTED AND SHOULD NOT BE TOLERATED BY THE ASIANS LIVING IN IRVINE.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't expect the NON-Asians to remotely even understand what I'm talking about. 
It's obvious given the many misinterpretations (here) and schoolyard bullying and crass jokes (@Qwerty)...

I have lived in America my entire life... 
Kindergarten to college... Career, business...
traveling all over the country... 
Dealing with people from all walks of life... 
I've traveled throughout Europe, South America and Asia... 
I'm not speaking from the perspective of a 15yr old...

99.99% of the time...
I let all this race S@#$@#  flick off me...
I don't have time for it... 
I'm too busy being successful and building my business...

But the Asians on this board, if you've lived here long enough., you should KNOW what I'm talking about...

It's in the media, it's in comedy.. it's in politics....  The casual slighting of Asians in this country...

They are treated like a majority group w/o any majority benefits or minority benefits.  Zilch...
They are getting S##T on both sides...
(It's happening on this very thread..)

I invite you to read through my prior posts on this thread again, and hopefully my message comes through better...

Thank you..

i guess irvinexxx's point is that you shouldn't "publicly" put down on asians or any ethnicity for that matter.
the real question is.... is it ok to put down other race in your heart? or in your backyard with friends "privately?"
while it is non-christian to make fun of someone's penis and heights in public, it is very non-christian to un-forgive someone in public. (i'm talking about christian since it's brought up here)

i usually just laugh at jokes, but i didn't laugh it up at that joke. it was a little over the borderline when it became humiliating someone. calling a neighborhood a hyundai or buick or bmw is a laughable matter, but calling someone's weakness is not really funny.

asians have become pretty successful not only in the u.s. but also globally. because they've worked harder than anyone else. (some earned money in shady business, but they will pay the price some day) they don't need to prove they are doing well whether someone likes it or not. there always will be haters and jealous people over any ethnicity and feeling superior than others. let them get trapped in their own little world and forever be lost unless they repent and humble themselves....but it is not asian's or anyone's job to fight back. let the LORD take vengeance. you keep loving and forgiving - that is being humble.   

Zion said:
i guess irvinexxx's point is that you shouldn't "publicly" put down on asians or any ethnicity for that matter.
the real question is.... is it ok to put down other race in your heart? or in your backyard with friends "privately?"
while it is non-christian to make fun of someone's penis and heights in public, it is very non-christian to un-forgive someone in public. (i'm talking about christian since it's brought up here)

i usually just laugh at jokes, but i didn't laugh it up at that joke. it was a little over the borderline when it became humiliating someone. calling a neighborhood a hyundai or buick or bmw is a laughable matter, but calling someone's weakness is not really funny.

asians have become pretty successful not only in the u.s. but also globally. because they've worked harder than anyone else. (some earned money in shady business, but they will pay the price some day) they don't need to prove they are doing well whether someone likes it or not. there always will be haters and jealous people over any ethnicity and feeling superior than others. let them get trapped in their own little world and forever be lost unless they repent and humble themselves....but it is not asian's or anyone's job to fight back. let the LORD take vengeance. you keep loving and forgiving - that is being humble. 

Sorry...Asians did not become successful because they worked harder.  There are a whole hosts of reasons why they are more successful as immigrants.  There are a lot of Laotian and Cambodian immigrants in the US who are struggling.  I would argue that Mexicans work harder than anyone.

irvinehomeowner said:
Burn That Belly said:
I haven't been reading up on this thread, I need to catch up.  More focused on the florida shooting than asians at this point.

Oh nooo.... YF in the house... it's over now.

But Irvinexxx is setting it off.

Irvinecommuter said:
Sorry...Asians did not become successful because they worked harder.  There are a whole hosts of reasons why they are more successful as immigrants.  There are a lot of Laotian and Cambodian immigrants in the US who are struggling.  I would argue that Mexicans work harder than anyone.

This is a fair point . Immigrants in general work harder than natives especially in the US where there is clearly an incentive structure to reward you if you do and the simple fact that you have to overcome obstacles since they weren?t privileged / lucky enough to be born into a rich system like the locals  , who many times , take it for granted .

But I do think some (not all) Asians look too much to the dominant group (read : whites ) for self validation and seeking approval , as opposed to being self assured and confident in who they are .  This also leads to competition among some of them to ? Look and play ? the part rather than retain the virtues of their individual cultures .

irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Burn That Belly said:
I haven't been reading up on this thread, I need to catch up.  More focused on the florida shooting than asians at this point.

Oh nooo.... YF in the house... it's over now.

But Irvinexxx is setting it off.

Probably the same person. :)

I don?t think it is YF. Because Irvinexxx censors the potential obscene words. While YF just says it.

Also, YF has already made his splash back to TI.  ;)

Back