What happened to the "Gold and the Dollar" thread?

http://www.scmp.com/business/commod...low-costs-help-cushion-chinese-gold-producers

Gold prices might have further to fall but Hong Kong-listed gold miners could escape the closures of some overseas counterparts thanks to low production costs, analysts said.

About 15 per cent of the world's gold miners became unprofitable after the metal's price fell to levels close to the global average production cost of US$1,200 an ounce, Bloomberg quoted Tyler Broda, a London-based gold analyst at investment bank Nomura, as saying.

Petropavlovsk, a London-listed gold miner in Russia, was considering suspending lower-priority investments and cutting back on exploration spending should prices stay weak, chairman Peter Hambro told the news agency.

A gold equities analyst in Hong Kong told the South China Morning Post that Hong Kong-listed mainland gold miners could expect lower profit margins given the weaker price outlook, but because their production costs were low, the price drop should not affect this year's production plans.

Fujian province-based Zijin Mining, China's biggest listed gold miner, said last month its cash production cost averaged US$557 an ounce, which it said was the lowest of the world's top 10 producers. It planned to boost its mine-produced gold output 2.9 per cent to 33 tonnes this year.

Chairman Chen Jinghe said its unit cash cost surged 39.7 per cent last year because of lower ore grades at its mainstay Zijinshan mine.

The Hong Kong analyst quoted management as saying the gold content could fall a further 20-25 per cent this year, as Zijinshan had only about five more years of economic mining life. This would further raise production costs.

Shandong province-based rival Zhaojin Mining Industry's average gold cash production cost was US$512.80 an ounce last year. Including fixed costs like depreciation, finance and administration costs, total production cost was US$611.40 an ounce.

China Gold International Resources had an average cash production cost of US$825 an ounce at its Changshanhao mine in Inner Mongolia. Total production cost was US$928 an ounce.

Chief executive Song Xin said it aimed to bring this down to US$714 in 2015, when it completed an expansion of the mine.

On the spot market, gold traded at about US$1,394 an ounce in early London trading, up just under 1 per cent. It lost 11 per cent in the previous three trading days.

Strategists at Bank of America Merrill Lynch said in a report yesterday there was a risk gold could drop a further US$150 an ounce given a surging US dollar and a tame global inflation outlook. Credit Agricole slashed its forecast for this year's average gold price by 10 per cent to US$1,480 from US$1,650.

@JTA - you might want to PM awgeecdcrez, but I think he only trades in the actual yellow stuff, and not the paper version.

(no commission is due on connecting this buyer and seller)
-IrvineCommoditiesBroker

I can not figure out how to post a couple of charts here.  They are both jpegs.  Help, please?

I have tried the image icon, but could not figure out what to put in between the "
" thingys.

20130513_goldshort_0.jpg

Well, it isn't the chart I wanted to post, but it is the same data.  I do not have the URL for the chart I was going to post, just the image itself on my desktop, but I found this one.  Thanks IH!

Here is another that I found interesting.

reggold.JPG

@awgee:

For images on your desktop, use Preview (or regular Reply) and then under the text box there is "Additional Options", click on the '+' and you can use the "Attach" feature to add images to your post.

So which gold and silver coins are good deals right now, meaning the least amount of premium attached to them and holds value well?

To see which have the least premium, go to Tulving and check out prices or:
http://www.24hgold.com/english/buy_sell_gold_coins.aspx?co_id=0

GOFO rates have been negative for 10 days in a row.

And, ... 5024 notices have been issued by JP Morgan for it's dealer account at the Comex for the month of June and those ounces have not yet setttled.  JP Morgan's dealer vault registers 390,092 ounces, leaving JP deficient by 112,307 ounces.

Roubini Sees $1,000 gold
http://www.indexuniverse.com/sections/features/19428-roubini-sees-1000-gold-us-growth.html?start=1

It seems that around July 19th Morgan Stanley exited the risk aggregation business for gold silver.  JP Morgan did the same on July 25th, and rumor is that other American IBs have done the same.

GOFO has been negative for 19 days.  The previous longest consecutive days GOFO had been negative was 3 days, back in 2008.

August and September futures are at parity.  October is just itty-bitty this side contango, and December ain't much more.

The largest banks have been found to be rigging commodity prices, libor, I forget what else, and now ISDAfix:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...-manipulated-rate-at-expense-of-retirees.html

GOFO has been negative for the 23rd consecutive day; one month is at -0.11%, two month at -.0967%, three month at -.085%, and the six month is positive, but at .0016%.

Ramadan ended last night.

comexreg2.PNG

There is a previous chart of Comex registered ounces that I posted a few weeks ago, if you care to look at the change.

It may have bottomed   :eek:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100963985

Paulson & Co more than halves gold ETF stake in Q2

Paulson & Co more than halved its stake in SPDR Gold Trust, the world's biggest gold-backed exchange-traded fund, in the second quarter, when the bullion price lost nearly a quarter of its value.

The prominent U.S. hedge fund, led by longtime gold bull John Paulson, owned 10.2 million shares in the ETF on June 30, compared to 21.8 million shares on March 31, a filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission showed on Wednesday.

But....I take this as a bad sign...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/consumers-buy-record-amount-gold-132800831.html

Consumers buy record amount of gold as price plunges

Bargain-hunters are snapping up gold jewelry and coins as investors desert the metal and world prices plunge.

Global consumer demand for gold hit its highest level ever in the second quarter, spiking to 1,083 tons, up 53% compared to the same time last year.

Most of that demand came from China and India, where consumers rushed to buy jewelry, coins and gold bars.

The latest report from the World Gold Council showed that jewelry sales made up more than half of the total gold tonnage sold to consumers in the quarter.

The average price for gold over the period fell by 12% to $1,415 per ounce.

Gold is currently trading at just over $1,330 per ounce, down by roughly 30% from its all-time high near $1,900 hit in September 2011.

awgeecdcrez said:
Those are physical gold sales.  Physical gold sales have not influenced gold prices in decades.  Is that changing?

No..price of gold (like oil/gas) is much more driven by traders and speculation.  I mean, no reason why gas is still at mid $3s when global demand has decreased, US has increased production, and the dollars has gotten better.

Back