What happened to the "Gold and the Dollar" thread?

Liar Loan

Was the "Gold and the Dollar" thread removed over the weekend?  I posted there Friday and one poster responded last I checked.  I wanted to reply to that individual because gold is down 8% today.

Is this a conspiracy to silence those of us speaking the truth?  ;)

Yeah... looks like Baby Irvine / Panda removed it.

That's the one thing I didn't like about the TI settings, the ability for posters to delete threads and everyone else's posts... they should be able to blank out their own but they shouldn't be allowed to remove posts that others have made.

Panda is just mad because Dow is probably going to hit 15k when he said it would never hit 13k.

I thought Panda was long the dollar so I can't imagine my posts on gold offended him, but who knows.

Liar Loan said:
Was the "Gold and the Dollar" thread removed over the weekend?  I posted there Friday and one poster responded last I checked.  I wanted to reply to that individual because gold is down 8% today.

Impressive drop today, looks like the Asian liquidation extended.  Might be a good time to pick some up now that the sale has been extended.  Silver looks even tastier as it drops.  :p

People were waiting for a market correction, so....boom!  Ask and you shall receive!  :D

jayl23 said:
Liar Loan said:

Impressive drop today, looks like the Asian liquidation extended.  Might be a good time to pick some up now that the sale has been extended.  Silver looks even tastier as it drops.  :p

People were waiting for a market correction, so....boom!  Ask and you shall receive!  :D

I think precious metal are done...they're the trending buy during panics but the prices return to pre-panic levels pretty quickly.  Someone mentioned that the recent price jump is in line with what happened in 1980...looks right to me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gold_Spot_Price_per_Gram_from_Jan_1971_to_Jan_2012.svg

Irvinecommuter said:
jayl23 said:
Liar Loan said:

I think precious metal are done...they're the trending buy during panics but the prices return to pre-panic levels pretty quickly.  Someone mentioned that the recent price jump is in line with what happened in 1980...looks right to me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gold_Spot_Price_per_Gram_from_Jan_1971_to_Jan_2012.svg

Maybe you'll be correct.  Who knows?  Some of us believe that with all the major central banks printing more fiat, and with all the banks around the world that are still having issues one way or another, we think that holding some PM as a store of value is prudent insurance against some black swan event.

jayl23 said:
Irvinecommuter said:
jayl23 said:
Liar Loan said:

Maybe you'll be correct.  Who knows?  Some of us believe that with all the major central banks printing more fiat, and with all the banks around the world that are still having issues one way or another, we think that holding some PM as a store of value is prudent insurance against some black swan event.

But that's the thing...gold is no more "valuable" than paper currency.  I mean, during an economic disaster...why would gold be more important than anything else?  It's an issue with countries that are in trouble but for countries with stable economies like the US, gold really isn't any more "safe."

Irvinecommuter said:
jayl23 said:
Irvinecommuter said:
jayl23 said:
Liar Loan said:

But that's the thing...gold is no more "valuable" than paper currency.  I mean, during an economic disaster...why would gold be more important than anything else?  It's an issue with countries that are in trouble but for countries with stable economies like the US, gold really isn't any more "safe."
It depends on what kind of economic disaster you're talking about.  Lots of people fear the high/hyperinflation scenario, where the paper currency is basically worthless (see Zimbabwe, Weimar Republic, and numerous other countries where this has happened).  History has a message for us: No fiat currency has lasted forever. Eventually, they all fail.  The US dollar has lost 97% of its purchasing power over the last century.  Sure, it might not happen in our lifetime, but how confident are you of that?

20130415_whosbuying_0.jpg

jayl23 said:
It depends on what kind of economic disaster you're talking about.  Lots of people fear the high/hyperinflation scenario, where the paper currency is basically worthless (see Zimbabwe, Weimar Republic, and numerous other countries where this has happened).  History has a message for us: No fiat currency has lasted forever. Eventually, they all fail.  The US dollar has lost 97% of its purchasing power over the last century.  Sure, it might not happen in our lifetime, but how confident are you of that?

I agree but if the US currency becomes worthless, you will have a lot more to worry about than whether you have gold, especially if you don't t actually own the gold...you just own a share of the gold sitting somewhere else.  Good luck getting that exchanged during an economic meltdown to level where the US dollar is no longer good.

Irvinecommuter said:
jayl23 said:

I agree but if the US currency becomes worthless, you will have a lot more to worry about than whether you have gold, especially if you don't t actually own the gold...you just own a share of the gold sitting somewhere else.  Good luck getting that exchanged during an economic meltdown to level where the US dollar is no longer good.
Exactly, which is why lots of ppl like to own the physical bullion, instead of paper gold, which has greater counterparty risk.

"Own physical gold and silver, and protect it with lead"

jayl23 said:
Irvinecommuter said:
jayl23 said:

Exactly, which is why lots of ppl like to own the physical bullion, instead of paper gold, which has greater counterparty risk.

I'll just take the lead.  I mean if Mad Max taught me anything...it's that I should start hoarding gasoline.

Irvinecommuter said:
jayl23 said:
Irvinecommuter said:
jayl23 said:

I'll just take the lead.  I mean if Mad Max taught me anything...it's that I should start hoarding gasoline.
LOL, if you can find any... it seems there's another bubble in the ammo market these days too.  Crazy.
Hoarding gasoline is more difficult and potentially dangerous if you don't have a good storage tank.  If you live in Irvine, good luck trying to get one installed in your tiny yard, or approved by the HOA.  :p

Liar Loan said:
I thought Panda was long the dollar so I can't imagine my posts on gold offended him, but who knows.
Thought he was long Japanese Yen. 
Yet another endearing move, deleting threads.  You take that ball and go home now, ya hear!

And gasoline "spoils" over time.

That's the one thing about some of these Zombie Apoc shows/movies... it's not like you can drive a car if the gas has been sitting around for a few years.

For the record IHO. I do know who deleted the thread.

Gold went from $35 - $850 from 1971 - 1980. Gold went from $285 - $1942 from 2001 - 2011. I mentioned before if gold breaks $1520 support it is game over. I currently have 70% of my assets in USD collecting a tiny 1%, preparing for a CD laddering strategy, short bond strategy, and short term bond strategy. 23.3% of assets are in real estate and about 6% shorting the euro.

One is foolish to listen to anyone on this thread for investment advice, you need to know how to think for yourself and not listen to anyone. It makes me sad to see Peter Schiff going on TV telling everyone who is holding gold not to sell as it will head for $5000 and higher. I thought that the peak was at 2010, but it appears 2011 is the peak. There is a new emerging trend forming and you have invest in it when no one is talking about it. Sometimes, my best strategy is do absolutely nothing like a chameleon patiently waiting for the perfect dinner... then BAM... in my mouth.

To have all your money in your Irvine home may be a good way to preserve your wealth, but one will not become wealthy and financially independent this way. You need to build up your passive income to become wealthy. Owning 8 -10 free and clear SFR Rentals here in Johns Creek will generate will a passive income of $200,000 / year without having to work. In today's interest rates environment you will need $20 million dollars to generate this passive income with 1% APY. I choose real estate as my vehicle to become independently wealthy, not stocks. 

Baby Irvine said:
For the record IHO. I do know who deleted the thread.

Gold went from $35 - $850 from 1971 - 1980. Gold went from $285 - $1942 from 2001 - 2011. I mentioned before if gold breaks $1520 support it is game over. I currently have 70% of my assets in USD collecting a tiny 1%, preparing for a CD laddering strategy, short bond strategy, and short term bond strategy. 23.3% of assets are in real estate and about 6% shorting the euro.

One is foolish to listen to anyone on this thread for investment advice, you need to know how to think for yourself and not listen to anyone. It makes me sad to see Peter Schiff going on TV telling everyone who is holding gold not to sell as it will head for $5000 and higher. I thought that the peak was at 2010, but it appears 2011 is the peak.

To have all your money in your Irvine home may be a good way to preserve your wealth, but one will not become wealthy and financially independent this way. You need to build up your passive income to become wealthy. Owning 8 -10 free and clear SFR Rentals here in Johns Creek will generate will a passive income of $200,000 / year without having to work. In today's interest rates environment you will need $20 million dollars to generate this passive income with 1% APY. I choose real estate as my vehicle to become independently wealthy, not stocks.

Problem with real estate is that you can get cash strapped pretty darn fast. 

Personally, I go with the philosophy of saving up and be content with enough.

Back