The Wall

eyephone said:
peppy said:
So, seems like we went from Mexico is going to pay the wall to US consumers are going to pay for the wall (via 20% tariff) and congress is going to appropriate $12bn for it from your tax dollars.

The US may initially pay for the wall, however Mexico will pay for it via tax on remittance that are sent from US to Mexico and/or tariffs. If you look at my previous post with source, the amount was around $24.6 billion dollars last year (Jan-16 through nov-16).

He announced his plan for 20% tariff today - so looks like a tax on consumers will pay for it.

peppy said:
He announced his plan for 20% tariff today - so looks like a tax on consumers will pay for it.

How do you know? Are you the CEO of a company importing goods from Mexico?

Movingup said:
peppy said:

How do you know? Are you the CEO of a company importing goods from Mexico?

No need for that. Basic economics on that one.

peppy said:

Basic economics say what is the consumers willing to pay. I guess if the product is unique and there is no competition, then you can tag whatever you want on to the consumers. Reality is I don't know what Mexico make that has a monopoly in the market. So, I don't believe in the doomsday theory.

Movingup said:
peppy said:

Basic economics say what is the consumers willing to pay. I guess if the product is unique and there is no competition, then you can tag whatever you want on to the consumers. Reality is I don't know what Mexico make that has a monopoly in the market. So, I don't believe in the doomsday theory.

<lean into mic> ......... W R O N G.

Movingup said:
peppy said:

Mexico needs the US not the other way around.
They can keep their limes and avocados. Lol

eyephone said:
Movingup said:
peppy said:

Now you are just showing your ignorance. #1 import is vehicles.

peppy said:
eyephone said:
Movingup said:
peppy said:

http://gizmodo.com/how-mexicos-drug-cartels-are-driving-up-the-price-of-l-1555572876

eyephone said:
peppy said:
eyephone said:
Movingup said:
peppy said:

http://gizmodo.com/how-mexicos-drug-cartels-are-driving-up-the-price-of-l-1555572876

You answer by posting an article from 2014 on drug cartels and limes??!?!?!? One too many margaritas today?

Vehicles and electronics are their main exports. Lime and avocado jokes can be funny but only account for a small share.

peppy said:
eyephone said:
peppy said:
eyephone said:
Movingup said:
peppy said:

You answer by posting an article from 2014 on drug cartels and limes??!?!?!? One too many margaritas today?

Vehicles and electronics are their main exports. Lime and avocado jokes can be funny but only account for a small share.

"Mexico is the largest supplier of fresh and frozen fruit to the United States, accounting for over 30 percent the volume and over 30 percent of the value of fresh and frozen fruit imports (excluding bananas). Mexico ships mostly limes, tangerines, mangoes, grapes, pineapples, papayas, avocados, and strawberries."

Source:https://www.ers.usda.gov/topics/crops/fruit-tree-nuts/trade/

eyephone said:
peppy said:
eyephone said:
peppy said:
eyephone said:
Movingup said:
peppy said:

"Mexico is the largest supplier of fresh and frozen fruit to the United States, accounting for over 30 percent the volume and over 30 percent of the value of fresh and frozen fruit imports (excluding bananas). Mexico ships mostly limes, tangerines, mangoes, grapes, pineapples, papayas, avocados, and strawberries."

Your google skills seem to be off. Try this:

https://ustr.gov/countries-regions/americas/mexico

In case you don't bother with the link here's the summary. Less than 10% account for agricultural products.

U.S. goods imports from Mexico totaled $295 billion in 2015

The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2015 were:
- vehicles ($74 billion)
- electrical machinery ($63 billion)
- machinery ($49 billion)
- mineral fuels ($14 billion)
- optical and medical instruments ($12 billion).

U.S. imports of agricultural products from Mexico totaled $21 billion in 2015

The great news is there will be tons of jobs to be had for all the unemployed folk. Grab a shovel and start digging!
Make something of yourself!

peppy said:
eyephone said:
peppy said:
eyephone said:
peppy said:
eyephone said:
Movingup said:
peppy said:

Your google skills seem to be off. Try this:

https://ustr.gov/countries-regions/americas/mexico

In case you don't bother with the link here's the summary. Less than 10% account for agricultural products.

U.S. goods imports from Mexico totaled $295 billion in 2015

The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2015 were:
- vehicles ($74 billion)
- electrical machinery ($63 billion)
- machinery ($49 billion)
- mineral fuels ($14 billion)
- optical and medical instruments ($12 billion).

U.S. imports of agricultural products from Mexico totaled $21 billion in 2015

For the record, I didn't say limes (acgriculture) is the biggest export from Mexico to the US. It's obvious that cars and electronics are the top exports. However, Mexico is the largest supplier of fresh and frozen fruit to the US. (Which is coming from USDA economic reseach service.)

Just tax everything that comes from Mexico to the US. (Since they backed out of the meeting with Trump.) Go for the one, two punch and also tax the remittances going to Mexico from the US.

Next on the Trump's short list is China.
#believeme

But I like Sprouts!  It's one of the lsst non Asian markets in Irvine and I don't know how they would survive if they had to pay 20% more for their imported produce.

In the old days I would just buy locally grown fruits and vegetables, but now all of that land is houses (which by the way were bought by non USA born humans)

Loco_local said:
But I like Sprouts!  It's one of the lsst non Asian markets in Irvine and I don't know how they would survive if they had to pay 20% more for their imported produce.

In the old days I would just buy locally grown fruits and vegetables, but now all of that land is houses (which by the way were bought by non USA born humans)

CSA box from Tanaka Farms or Farm Fresh to You.

eyephone said:
Just tax everything that comes from Mexico to the US. (Since they backed out of the meeting with Trump.) Go for the one, two punch and also tax the remittances going to Mexico from the US.

Next on the Trump's short list is China.
#believeme

Alienate our southern neighbor and China. China is already investing heavily in developing economies and will now become the #1 trade partner with Mexico. Trade is not only about economics but also about geopolitical stability. Anger Mexico and you get China at your doorstep.

C3M1j5NUcAANKNg.jpg

Back