The 2020 Presidential Election

Soylent Green Is People said:
Voters need to ask themselves if they are willing to make Kamela Harris President, given the inevitable use of the 25th amendment in 2021.

My .02c

Do you honestly think there?s a meaningful number of non Trump voters out there who care about that? Enough to swing the election back in Trump?s favor? I think not, most people who dislike her were already voting Trump.

Harris is clearly a poll tested safe choice. It?s reflective of the Democratic party?s state of mind given Biden?s big lead in the polls.

Agree with President Trump or not, he has a strong brand. There are very few people who still don?t have an opinion on President Trump. The polling bears this out too. Trump has sky high support among Republicans, losing independents, and never had meaningful dems support.

This election will be about 1) Covid 2) Trump or not Trump 3) BLM

Harris is a safe choice because she has national name recognition and the democrats just made it easier for people to blindly vote on identity politics.

Kenkoko said:
Voters need to ask themselves if they are willing to make Kamela Harris President, given the inevitable use of the 25th amendment in 2021.

My .02c

Do you honestly think there?s a meaningful number of non Trump voters out there who care about that? Enough to swing the election back in Trump?s favor? I think not, most people who dislike her were already voting Trump.

Harris is clearly a poll tested safe choice. It?s reflective of the Democratic party?s state of mind given Biden?s big lead in the polls.

Agree with President Trump or not, he has a strong brand. There are very few people who still don?t have an opinion on President Trump. The polling bears this out too. Trump has sky high support among Republicans, losing independents, and never had meaningful dems support.

Harris is a safe choice because she has national name recognition and the democrats just made it easier for people to blindly vote on identity politics.

The problem with Harris is she is core old school Dem party power block. In Cali it doesn't matter.  In Texas, Florida, Penn, MI, Wi, Ohio, it does matter.  Her constituent facebook page plays well with the voting Dem no matter what crowd, in the swing States and wavering traditional red states, it might be boat anchor.

As long Covid and Trump failing stays super painful we are ok, otherwise, she might be costly.   

Biden was an easy pick for the middle.  With Harris in the States in play, adding Harris makes it a hold your nose and pick not Trump.

nosuchreality said:
Kenkoko said:

My .02c

The problem with Harris is she is core old school Dem party power block. In Cali it doesn't matter.  In Texas, Florida, Penn, MI, Wi, Ohio, it does matter.  Her constituent facebook page plays well with the voting Dem no matter what crowd, in the swing States and wavering traditional red states, it might be boat anchor.

As long Covid and Trump failing stays super painful we are ok, otherwise, she might be costly.   

Biden was an easy pick for the middle.  With Harris in the States in play, adding Harris makes it a hold your nose and pick not Trump.

I see it as a wash. Surely Harris will turn off some voters in the purple swing states like you said. But she will also turnout more voters, especially minorities, who sat on the sidelines in 2016. Like it or not, identity politics is a powerful thing.

Harris is not going to swing this election or even move the needle much imo.

I think the Harris pick is only meaningful to political junkies.

The most I got out of the Harris pick announcement is the  amusement and slight frustration of seeIng BLM people dropping their pet cause to rally in support for Harris.

Also amusing to see law & order Republicans handwringing about Harris' record as a "tough-on-crime" DA & GA. I thought they?d celebrate this rare win for the police  >:D

nosuchreality said:
Kenkoko said:

My .02c

Harris is about centralist as it gets...she checks like 90% of the boxes.  If centralist black woman loses votes in "swing states" it is just what it will be. 

Biden will win just on the not Trump and Dem votes.

Kenkoko said:
nosuchreality said:
Kenkoko said:

My .02c

I see it as a wash. Surely Harris will turn off some voters in the purple swing states like you said. But she will also turnout more voters, especially minorities, who sat on the sidelines in 2016. Like it or not, identity politics is a powerful thing.

Harris is not going to swing this election or even move the needle much imo.

I think the Harris pick is only meaningful to political junkies.

The most I got out of the Harris pick announcement is the  amusement and slight frustration of seeIng BLM people dropping their pet cause to rally in support for Harris.

Also amusing to see law & order Republicans handwringing about Harris' record as a "tough-on-crime" DA & GA. I thought they?d celebrate this rare win for the police  >:D

The image of Harris next to Pence on the debate stage will be a powerful one.

nosuchreality said:
morekaos said:
I'm ecstatic!! That is what we in the Biz reffer to as...a trend.

Extend that chart back to January.

Those 200k points going to make winning look really bad.

nobody remembers january...do you even remember what life was like without wearing a mask?  :D

morekaos said:
I'm ecstatic!! That is what we in the Biz reffer to as...a trend.

Yeah...since people don't have jobs anymore...they can't file initial jobless claims.

Initial jobless claims, week ended Aug. 8: 963,000 vs. 1.1 million expected and 1.191 million during the prior week

Continuing claims, week ended Aug. 1: 15.486 million vs. 15.8 million expected and 16.107 million during the prior week
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/jobl...yment-week-ended-august-8-2020-171744189.html

3e6f8c20-dd63-11ea-b712-04f4186aad97

One of these things is not like the other.

Trump was almost "25th" not because of health reasons. That's push was very early on into his Presidency when it was "Russia Russia Russia" He's still able to form a clear thought, speak impromptu, and function. Whether you agree with his politics or not is another story.

Reagan had early onset Alzheimer's diagnosed and admitted to in the 90's. Review any non-partisan or Right of Center data and you'll find little to no evidence of incapacity at the end of his Presidency. People hated Reagan as they hate Trump today and are willing to say anything to make either of them look bad.

Biden has clear issues manifesting almost every time he's off script. I know we've seen very, very little of the man "in the wild" since February. Once out of his scripted zone we'll see if he's functional or not. Its way too early to tell, but what's been seen lately should give us pause. Remember - if you or I suggested that a POC reporter was using crack, as Biden did recently, we would be freshening up our LinkedIn profile right now. Not Ol' Joe though...

My .02c

Hasn't Trump been mentally impaired the last 4 years? Even before he became president? :)

It would be funny if it wasn't so tragic...GOP and Trump basically admitting that they want fewer votes.

Trump has fought Democratic proposals to put $25 billion into the U.S. Postal Service and send $3.6 billion to states to promote election security and mail-in voting. He has opposed state efforts to promote casting ballots by mail to make voting safer during the pandemic.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/14/cor...ls-for-relief-deal-after-congress-leaves.html

After all...voting rights is not really the GOP/Trump's game.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnDnuFpAlrM[/youtube]

This is the fakiest of all fake news out there. Terrible to watch/listen to media shills whipping up this frenzy over nothing.

The USPS has already stated that they can and will handle this "as is" without any additional money needed. This was days before Pelosi and credit began pushing this OMG THE USPS IS IN DANGER BY BAD ORANGE MAN and trying to give money to the USPS that they don't want.

Please.

This also isn't a question of mail in ballots. It's a question of Absentee Voting (Yay... a good thing) versus mass outbound mailing to every registered voter a ballot whether they want one or not. (a method that asks for rampant fraud). I don't want a ballot sent to me. Neither does Soylent Red. Why then are we forced to accept one? Is there an "opt out"? No, of course not. One has to ask "Why not?"

You won't find any R's or D's against Absentee Voting - where you have to ask for a ballot and only you can return it. (no harvesting of ballots) Why then are only the D's pushing so hard for 100 percent mail in voting? Why are these same D's asking for the Voter Registration Lists to be culled of the dead or those who have moved out of state? Not a peep about that.....

It's dammed the torpedoes - full throttle towards a banana republic for these folks.

Hmm... that's not what I'm referring to:
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/20...rns-numerous-states-mail-ballots-may-n1236825

Numerous states have received letters from the U.S. Postal Service in recent days warning them that the agency that oversees mail in the United States will not be able to fulfill requests for mail-in ballots.

The USPS said that there is not enough time for the ballots to be requested, completed and returned before the Nov. 3 presidential election, a startling development as many states have expanded mail-in voting because of the pandemic.

NBC News reached out to all 50 states to see whether they had received the USPS letter warning of issues relating to mail-in ballots. Eighteen, including Arizona, Florida and Michigan, shared the letters they received. Vermont, Wisconsin and Kentucky said they did not receive a warning from USPS.

The letters, sent by the postal service's general counsel Thomas Marshall, say that states' election "deadlines for requesting and casting mail-in ballots are incongruous with the Postal Service's delivery standards. This mismatch creates a risk that ballots requested near the deadline under state law will not be returned by mail in times to be counted under your laws as we understand them."

The implication is serious, as the ballots of tens of millions of American voters eligible to vote by mail could be discarded because of delays in mail delivery. It also comes as the agency, founded by the U.S. Constitution, undergoes sweeping changes organizationally at the behest of the Trump administration and faces a grim financial outlook.

Truth: USPS may not be able to get all the votes delivered in time.

What is fake about that?

It is the states election deadlines, not the USPS, that is the problem. With arbitrary, rushed, and haphazard guidelines coupled with the foolish idea of sending out ballots to everyone - no matter if they want one or not - is the problem.

It's the employer giving you the employee a 10,000 page operation manual to read with 24 hour notice..... OR ELSE. Ask yourself, is it you the worker being the issue, or the employer who doesn't know how to run a simple task - voting - in this case?

Address the problem - unwanted ballots being sent to unverified places and people, who don't return them. Are those OMG LATE AND UNCOUNTED BALLOTS - or merely doing business "The Chicago Way" - with the dead still being able to vote?

Nancy and Co. Want to shove $25b at the USPS in the name of "saving Democracy". If one were to shove an equal amount of cash at the California DMV, does anyone really believe they could fix their issues in 120 days? Now imagine trying a 50 State solution being up and running.... The issues has never been money or the USPS, but about legitimizing systemic fraud.

My .02c

Again... missing the point... with the pandemic, vote by mail is probably the safest method for this election.

If "10s of millions" of votes are discarded... something needs to be done so that doesn't happen. Doesn't matter if it's Pelosi or whoever... figure out a way to fix it.

How easy was it for you to take the census? Sure... there can be fraud... but we went over how hard that is and how much has to be done for it to make an impact.

This is not a D v R topic... this is simply an election issue.

@Irvinehomeowner

We agree that vote by mail is an acceptable way to cast your ballot.

Where we do not agree (evidently) is that I believe the Absentee process works, but some believe sending out millions of ballots to a long corrupt voter registration database is a good idea.

It is not.

The USPS can handle Absentee ballots. They say they can handle the flood of mail out ballots. I'd rather accept the devil I know than the one I do not. Perhaps you'll agree?

My .02c

Back