Tesla Solar Panels Price Cut

makes sense...

who installs solar roof? - people that has older roof, may be disintegrating
What do they more likely to have? - years old technology and material underneath, which might be weak/rotting
What it means for Tesla? - higher costs

e.g. GPN and OH buyers are not primary customers of Tesla solar roof.

zubs said:
I noticed that my energy production had gone down after the 2 fires this summer.  I figured that the debris had settled on my panels causing less electricity generation.  So on Sunday I took a hose, and blasted my panels down.  On Monday and today, it looks like my solar is making 35% more electricity now.

If you think your solar is not performing well, you can try cleaning the dust off with a hose.

NOV 4 - solar generation 20.7
blasted panels with garden hose
NOV 9 - solar generation 27.7

Both sunny days with non interrupted electricity production curve.

Last week I rinsed off my solar panels with a garden hose.

Results:
JUL 20, 2021 - solar generation 48.7
JUL 28, 2021 - solar generation 57.2

Another massive increase in solar generation. 
We really need some big rains to help clean these panels.

zubs said:
zubs said:
I noticed that my energy production had gone down after the 2 fires this summer.  I figured that the debris had settled on my panels causing less electricity generation.  So on Sunday I took a hose, and blasted my panels down.  On Monday and today, it looks like my solar is making 35% more electricity now.

If you think your solar is not performing well, you can try cleaning the dust off with a hose.

NOV 4 - solar generation 20.7
blasted panels with garden hose
NOV 9 - solar generation 27.7

Both sunny days with non interrupted electricity production curve.

Last week I rinsed off my solar panels with a garden hose.

Results:
JUL 20, 2021 - solar generation 48.7
JUL 28, 2021 - solar generation 57.2

Another massive increase in solar generation. 
We really need some big rains to help clean these panels.

What's your system size?

330X30 = 9900
On a flattish single story roof.  slightly angled the wrong way...not SE.

Just realized that Tesla Solar Panel purchase now requires purchase of (minimum) 1 Powerwall as well (sigh). 

Anyone have a good experience with any local providers lately?  Not sure if the Powerwall is worth it, seems like we rarely have any brown/blackouts here.

aquabliss said:
Just realized that Tesla Solar Panel purchase now requires purchase of (minimum) 1 Powerwall as well (sigh). 

Anyone have a good experience with any local providers lately?  Not sure if the Powerwall is worth it, seems like we rarely have any brown/blackouts here.

Sounds expensive af with the battery.

aquabliss said:

Wow, I'm glad I got the solar panels for my Vegas home last fall.  No way would I buy a powerball with the solar.

aquabliss said:

I'm happy that they require a powerwall now, personally. I wanted to get one so I can optimize my usage (I'll probably generate more than I need during the day and want to bank it for use at night versus paying SCE). This change might help me get my system sooner, whenever I decide to order.

JadedOne said:
aquabliss said:

I'm happy that they require a powerwall now, personally. I wanted to get one so I can optimize my usage (I'll probably generate more than I need during the day and want to bank it for use at night versus paying SCE). This change might help me get my system sooner, whenever I decide to order.

You might need multiple powerwalls to stay off the grid.
Other companies dont require the battery option.

JadedOne said:
aquabliss said:

The economics of a Powerwall hardly makes sense unless you have frequent power outages. I have run the numbers every which way and if you think you can arbitrage the electricity prices it will take like 20 years to breakeven. You're much better off being on a TOU plan and generating electricity credits and just use electricity as you please.

Better yet, buy the electric version of Ford F-150 that can power your house. it is like power wall on the go, and imagine all the possibilities.

Cares said:
JadedOne said:
aquabliss said:

The economics of a Powerwall hardly makes sense unless you have frequent power outages. I have run the numbers every which way and if you think you can arbitrage the electricity prices it will take like 20 years to breakeven. You're much better off being on a TOU plan and generating electricity credits and just use electricity as you please.

I finally put $100 deposit toward a "Y" last week.
Estimated delivery JAN...

Is that 2023?

zubs said:

Is that 2023?

I just ordered one about 3 weeks ago. I sprung for the Performance version because I didn't want to wait.

Also I can sell one of my 3 year old Teslas for the SAME as what I paid for it. This used car market is ridiculous. Cars are an appreciating asset now haha!

Cares said:
zubs said:

Is that 2023?

I just ordered one about 3 weeks ago. I sprung for the Performance version because I didn't want to wait.

Also I can sell one of my 3 year old Teslas for the SAME as what I paid for it. This used car market is ridiculous. Cars are an appreciating asset now haha!
Wow - I just checked a used 2020 3 like mine on the Tesla used website and it's $13K more than I paid last year!

Cares said:
JadedOne said:
aquabliss said:

Yeah, the required powerwall is basically a price increase.

My electrician told me the 8kW/3 PW system I bought from Tesla is almost 2X now what I paid last year. I already banked the 26% fed tax credit, and I charge my M3 with those subsidized fixed cost electrons every night. Plus I get a big true-up twice a year for the gobs of kW I send back to the grid every day.

OCtoSV said:
Cares said:
zubs said:

Is that 2023?

Wow - I just checked a used 2020 3 like mine on the Tesla used website and it's $13K more than I paid last year!
did you buy FSD?  tesla adds FSD to all their used inventory so that jacks up the price.  but in general yea used car prices are ludicrous right now.

edit: wow never mind, i hadn't looked recently.  low-mileage 2021 model Ys with no FSD on autotrader are like $70k right now.  maybe i should flip mine...

I paid $55k for my 3. $10k tax credit so $45k. I'm getting $40-42k from 3rd parties like Shift and CarMax. A laughable $31k from Tesla. Private party offers around $45-46k.

I don't really want to deal with the hassle of a private sale, but I'm curious what carmax will pay. I like the car but I'm not gonna turn down $10k profit.

Now they are giving an option to buy without a powerwall.

I am planning on getting solar.
I have quotes from solar optimum, infinity solar which are pretty comparable to Tesla. Tesla is the cheapest. what is the advantage of getting tesla? any recommendations.

Back