Tesla Solar Panels Price Cut

Irvine_is_awesome said:
Now they are giving an option to buy without a powerwall.

I am planning on getting solar.
I have quotes from solar optimum, infinity solar which are pretty comparable to Tesla. Tesla is the cheapest. what is the advantage of getting tesla? any recommendations.

Thanks for the heads up.

Irvine_is_awesome said:

I have quotes from solar optimum, infinity solar which are pretty comparable to Tesla. Tesla is the cheapest. what is the advantage of getting tesla? any recommendations.

What quotes did you get from Solar Optimum and Infinity Solar?
The Tesla installs that I've seen lately look really clean and it is the same app that it used for the car so that is kinda nice too.
Tesla also has their Powerwalls if you wanted that (and I don't think you can get it from someone else right?)

I have heard that Tesla solar, like most Tesla products, is great as long as you never need any kind of customer service

zovall said:
Irvine_is_awesome said:

What quotes did you get from Solar Optimum and Infinity Solar?
The Tesla installs that I've seen lately look really clean and it is the same app that it used for the car so that is kinda nice too.
Tesla also has their Powerwalls if you wanted that (and I don't think you can get it from someone else right?)

You can get powerwalls from solar installers, pretty sure Tim at Infinity has them, but the costs are too high, break even is too long. 

Quotes i am getting  for approx 8.14kw system are
Infinity solar - 22K for LG 440W panels 18 Panels
Solar optimum  21k for Panasonic panels 370W 22 panels
Tesla 20k for 8.5Kw system 425W panel

Tesla is the cheapest out of all but i worry about their customer service and subcontracting thier installation.

Costwise its not a huge difference between the 3

Go read some of the stories on TMC about people with year old solar installs where Tesla still hasn't submitted paperwork to the utility and they can't get ahold of anyone at Tesla to do anything about it. I don't think the risk is worth saving $1-2k personally.

I agree that at that price difference, it's not worth the risk going with Tesla. Depending on how you value your time, you'll have to act as your own project manager. There's a chance your install may go smoothly and on time, but the chances of that NOT happening is higher with Tesla imho. Communication is horrible and after-install support is even worse.

I submitted 2 tickets via the Tesla solar app when I noticed that there was no solar power generated for over half the day.  I didn't receive any confirmation of the ticket or a response.  In the 2nd ticket, I even wrote, "Does anyone even read this????".  No response.  This was a few months ago. 

woodburyowner said:
I submitted 2 tickets via the Tesla solar app when I noticed that there was no solar power generated for over half the day.  I didn't receive any confirmation of the ticket or a response.  In the 2nd ticket, I even wrote, "Does anyone even read this????".  No response.  This was a few months ago.

What eventually happened with your issue?

hurijo said:
woodburyowner said:

What eventually happened with your issue?

Resolved itself.  My generation shows a few hours at 0 for a couple days.  I'm not sure if it's the app or if the generation was really 0.

hurijo said:
I agree that at that price difference, it's not worth the risk going with Tesla. Depending on how you value your time, you'll have to act as your own project manager. There's a chance your install may go smoothly and on time, but the chances of that NOT happening is higher with Tesla imho. Communication is horrible and after-install support is even worse.

It happens and its not always Tesla?s fault. I know someone that the solar panels were installed but they were waiting for someone from the City of LA to approve it/give the okay.

eyephone said:
hurijo said:

It happens and its not always Tesla?s fault. I know someone that the solar panels were installed but they were waiting for someone from the City of LA to approve it/give the okay.

Normally it's HOA approval, permits, install, inspection, SCE confirmation changing to TOU/net metering.  For me the hardest part was getting the HOA approvals, my installer handled everything else.  Note you can turn it on after inspection and prior to SCE confirmation - you get generate solar for usage, but you don't get the net metering until SCE gives you the thumbs up.  Heard of local inspection horror stories too, so can happen with any installer, but I hear more about Tesla CS sucking.

eyephone said:
hurijo said:

(Pre covid) They waited around a month or more for the approval from the city and dwp. (Inter agency back and forth. red tape? idk) From what I was told, Tesla was contacting the local agencies to speed the approval process.

You also have to predict or consider how long the solar company will be around for potential service or warranty in the future. Tesla would most likely be around in the future.

eyephone said:
eyephone said:
hurijo said:

(Pre covid) They waited around a month or more for the approval from the city and dwp. (Inter agency back and forth. red tape? idk) From what I was told, Tesla was contacting the local agencies to speed the approval process.

You also have to predict or consider how long the solar company will be around for potential service or warranty in the future. Tesla would most likely be around in the future.

About a month is right depending on their workload, nothing wrong with that.  Tesla may be around, but if you can't talk to anyone on their CS side, it makes no difference as noted by woodburyowner.  What if his issue didn't resolve itself on his system.

I had to call Tesla for my family member because they did not get the referral bonus. They eventually got the referral bonus few weeks after.

I thought the process would be better. I simply told them the concern regarding the referral and they fixed it.

Our Tesla Solar + Powerwall was incredibly clean and efficient. We lucked out living in a city where they have a unionized staff of 29 building inspectors that do their job extremely well and efficiently. We've had it for 9 months and zero issues. I love charging my M3 with my own stored electrons at night. W/O PW you still have to pay to charge at night. And the 26% fed tax credit make sit a no-brainer. Up here having resilience against PGE is highly value added as well, so it was likely the highest value investment I could have made for my property.

Tesla still being around doesn't mean Tesla Solar will still be around. Solar has been a pretty bad line of business for them generally. It's only profitable because of powerwall sales, which is why they switched to requiring both. They only changed course on that because powerwall use chips that they need for cars right now. I would bet that it's not long before Tesla spins off energy generation and focuses only on storage.

Use the stored energy in battery to run stuff from 4-9pm while using the regular grid during the cheaper times.

Back