Tesla Solar Panels Price Cut

best_potsticker_in_town said:
My "small" size system has been on for about a week now. I'm generating 24-25 kwh per day. Really pleased with that production, which will obviously go down in the fall/winter months. Even more pleased that the system is on for the upcoming heat wave!
Can you share a screenshot of your generation graph in the app? Also, do you just have 1 array or multiple, and facing which direction?

My "small" size system has been on for about a week now. I'm generating 24-25 kwh per day. Really pleased with that production, which will obviously go down in the fall/winter months. Even more pleased that the system is on for the upcoming heat wave!

Nice, my 3.96kW system that I installed last year also has been producing 23-26kW per day for the past few months. In the winter time I was producing 13-16kW per day on mostly sunny days.

hurijo said:
Can you share a screenshot of your generation graph in the app? Also, do you just have 1 array or multiple, and facing which direction?

See attached for this week. I have two arrays. 9 panels facing south and 3 panels facing east.

Attachments

• 5377BF60-B63A-4849-87E5-AB516C798192.png
    5377BF60-B63A-4849-87E5-AB516C798192.png
    152.1 KB · Views: 126
My typical avg use daily is about 15kwh per SCE bill, in future I would want to look into having 1 electric car for the household. In such a scenario does the small system meet the needs? what is the typical additional kwh per month to plan for if the electric car does about 800 miles per month?

yes2 said:
My typical avg use daily is about 15kwh per SCE bill, in future I would want to look into having 1 electric car for the household. In such a scenario does the small system meet the needs? what is the typical additional kwh per month to plan for if the electric car does about 800 miles per month?

I did about 800 miles in my first month of owning my Model Y. I charged twice a week, at around 20-25 kwh per charge. So you're probably looking at an extra 150-200 kwh per month, or 5-6 kwh per day.

yes2 said:

Easy to calculate but you need to know your car's efficiency of kW per mile. Tesla Model 3 as an example is rated for 75 kW battery for 330 miles. Then figure out how much you estimate to drive and you can figure that out. You will have range loss and charging inefficiency to account for though.

yes2 said:

Inquire with Tesla solar. They get that question all the time. (with access to your previous energy bills) They probably will ask about usage.

yes2 said:

I did about 800 miles in my first month of owning my Model Y. I charged twice a week, at around 20-25 kwh per charge. So you're probably looking at an extra 150-200 kwh per month, or 5-6 kwh per day.

2nd this.  Lots of variables but a nice round generic # for electric vehicles is 4 miles per kwh.  Easy math to get some idea of where you'll land.  800 miles will add ~200 kwh per month to your usage.  It'll probably we weighted toward the weekdays though, so you might see close to 25kwh usage on those days.  A small system in the summer might make that much, but consider too the power plan you'll be on.  What happen if you're consuming at a different time period than when you're generating.

Anyone notice how little solar energy was generated today?  My 3.78kwh system only generated 20.7kWh.  I guess air temperature is not a super good indicator of how much energy the sun is emitting.

woodburyowner said:
Anyone notice how little solar energy was generated today?  My 3.78kwh system only generated 20.7kWh.  I guess air temperature is not a super good indicator of how much energy the sun is emitting.

My 3.96kW system generated 24kW today.

USCTrojanCPA said:
woodburyowner said:

My 3.96kW system generated 24kW today.

There is a sweet spot of temp range. Too hot a day like today means less efficient panels.

Yesterday I produced 55.7 whereas 8/11 I produced 62.7 so yes I agree with that comment. Both days have similar generation curves but yesterday was just less efficient.

I have 10 panels facing east and 22 facing west, a very good production day is around 58kWh. I've attached my best week so far.

Yesterday we reached our highest power consumption over 24h I've seen at 101kWh for only 44kWh produced (PG&E cut our power for 2 hours so we lost production)  :eek: The AC is on all day trying to get through the heat wave here in Norcal.

Attachments

• IMG_6790.PNG
    IMG_6790.PNG
    263.7 KB · Views: 109
101kwh!  Are there electric cars involved?  That's a LOT of juice!  That's ~5 days' worth of power for us.

ahah, it's 105F outside and we keep the house at 78F so both AC units end up running all day, no EV charging.

So far this year we've consumed 4,865kWh for 9,534kWh produced so I don't mind a few more days at 100kWh. But it's time to seriously look at EVs or growing...

Wow.  105 is too hot for me.  We keep the house around 72-74, but our "scorching" temp today is 84*F.  Even that has me sweating like crazy after only 30 minutes of working outside.  I'm considering putting a split unit AC in the garage, but it has no insulation so would cost a lot to run.  Yeah, I need to get on this solar bandwagon.

Referral link is below.  I am in process of installing solar with Altair Solar via EnergySage.  They are based locally in Irvine, which is a positive as response times and on-site meetings are good.  I originally went with a company called Solar Optimum which was a big mistake.  I was misled by Solar Optimum's high ratings on Energy Sage, which was completely opposite of what I experienced with them during the whole process.  I cancelled my contract and went with Altair Solar, who will be installing within the coming month.  My experience with Altair has so far been great - they have been very responsive, give detailed information, and very competitive in terms of pricing.

http://www.energysage.com/?rc=e1.s5lngp

Back