Tesla Solar Panels Price Cut

Kenkoko said:
Are you thinking about Tesla Solar Roof instead of panels?

Not at all.  Price is way too high, and there's too much gray area over any future issues.  What if the Tesla roof leaks and the plywood sheathing rots out?  Who do I call?  At least solar panels are somewhat straightforward for removal by roofers.

I think I'm in for the panels.  A small system will do fine for us.

Haven't heard or seen a Tesla Solar roof being fully installed yet. Any links to reviews of that product?

My .02c

USCTrojanCPA said:
eyephone said:
Hmm if you finance with Tesla you will pay around $21-22k for panels that are worth $16.4k.

irvinehomeowner said:
I priced an 8.16w system:

To subscribe it's $130/mo, to purchase using their loan (20 years 5.99% interest), it's $91/mo. And on the purchase, I can add 1 Powerall for $47/mo extra to bring the total bill to $138/mo. The cash price for that is $16,400+11,000-$2500 (discount for solar and wall installation)=$24,900, $18,426 after incentives.

Seems like a purchase is better than subscription at this point, even if I use their financing.

Tesla Solar Time?

Hence why it's better to pay cash for a smaller system like the 4.08 kW system.

True... but 4.08kW may not be enough for an average family, especially if they are running 1 or 2 EVs.

I gave Tesla a call and they are able to convert my subscription contract to a straight cash purchase. What's cool is they gave me a small depreciation discount ($120) since their system automatically calculates that in when you decide to buy your leased panels. The "sticker" price is $8,200 for a 4.08 kwh system. I was sold a 3.84 kwh hour system, so my sale price was $7,800. With the discount, it ends up being just under $7,700, or $5,900 net after tax credit and sales tax.

The kicker here is that Tesla had ran out of the 3.84 kwh system by the time my install appointment came around. So, they put the 4.08 kwh system up. They actually call this possibility out in the contract - saying that Tesla may size you up 10% more for no cost based on inventory.

I'm obviously ecstatic to have all this line up. Not so much because of Tesla's customer service (it took me 10 tries to get a hold of someone) - but because of stars aligning on their side. The only bad thing is, my PTO will likely be delayed because they need to resubmit paperwork with me owning the system rather than Tesla Energy. I probably won't be able to start using my system for another few weeks but I can be patient due to these good fortunes.  ;D

What's the physical layout?  Do they run a large conduit from the roof down the side of the house to where the main breaker panel is?  Is the inverter installed right next to the panel?  How do they feed wires to the existing circuit?  I'm not liking the idea of having this stuff where the panel is, because that's the visible driveway side.  I'm wondering if they can at least stick the inverter in the crawlspace, which already has conduit access to the panel.  Does the homeowner have much say in the matter?

irvinehomeowner said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
eyephone said:
Hmm if you finance with Tesla you will pay around $21-22k for panels that are worth $16.4k.

irvinehomeowner said:

To subscribe it's $130/mo, to purchase using their loan (20 years 5.99% interest), it's $91/mo. And on the purchase, I can add 1 Powerall for $47/mo extra to bring the total bill to $138/mo. The cash price for that is $16,400+11,000-$2500 (discount for solar and wall installation)=$24,900, $18,426 after incentives.

Seems like a purchase is better than subscription at this point, even if I use their financing.

Tesla Solar Time?

True... but 4.08kW may not be enough for an average family, especially if they are running 1 or 2 EVs.

I'm not buying the solar for a future buyer and since I'll be a late adopter to an EV car I'm not too concerned. A 4.08kW system will take care of 80%-90% of the electric needs of my Vegas home.

USCTrojanCPA said:
irvinehomeowner said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
eyephone said:

irvinehomeowner said:

Tesla Solar Time?

I'm not buying the solar for a future buyer and since I'll be a late adopter to an EV car I'm not too concerned. A 4.08kW system will take care of 80%-90% of the electric needs of my Vegas home.

This may be the best deal for solar. Unless you buy the solar panels at wholesale prices and do it yourself. (that is what I read in a different deal forum)

best_potsticker_in_town said:
I gave Tesla a call and they are able to convert my subscription contract to a straight cash purchase. What's cool is they gave me a small depreciation discount ($120) since their system automatically calculates that in when you decide to buy your leased panels. The "sticker" price is $8,200 for a 4.08 kwh system. I was sold a 3.84 kwh hour system, so my sale price was $7,800. With the discount, it ends up being just under $7,700, or $5,900 net after tax credit and sales tax.

Are you sure you can still claim the tax credit?  I wonder if you would still be able to claim the tax credit if you bought the system the following year. 

daedalus said:
What's the physical layout?  Do they run a large conduit from the roof down the side of the house to where the main breaker panel is?  Is the inverter installed right next to the panel?  How do they feed wires to the existing circuit?  I'm not liking the idea of having this stuff where the panel is, because that's the visible driveway side.  I'm wondering if they can at least stick the inverter in the crawlspace, which already has conduit access to the panel.  Does the homeowner have much say in the matter?

Yes, the inverter goes next to your breaker panel and they run a conduit up the side of your wall. Tesla did a fairly good job hiding this as they ran the conduit next to my rain gutter so it's not very noticeable. Per city code, they will color match the conduit color to match your exterior wall and roof color. It helps to have some extra paint so that it'll be a more precise match...otherwise, the have some stock paints they can mix.

woodburyowner said:
Are you sure you can still claim the tax credit?  I wonder if you would still be able to claim the tax credit if you bought the system the following year.

Yes. Since I haven't received PTO, that's what gives me tax credit access. It sounds like if I had already received PTO (w/ system owner as Tesla Energy), I would not be eligible for the tax credit. But, since I got a hold of them before the PTO was granted, they can back it out and re-apply.

Does the inverter have a fan inside it for cooling?  That would probably rule out whether they would allow me to put it in the crawlspace.  It would be quite an eyesore on the side of the house, plus that's right where my sprinkler timer, gate opener and water/gas shutoff valves are.  Getting crowded.

daedalus said:
Does the inverter have a fan inside it for cooling?  That would probably rule out whether they would allow me to put it in the crawlspace.  It would be quite an eyesore on the side of the house, plus that's right where my sprinkler timer, gate opener and water/gas shutoff valves are.  Getting crowded.

My understanding is it has to be close to the panel. But, it doesn't hurt to ask them.

The way my house is set up, 1 corner of the crawlspace is only ~2 feet from the panel, and there's even unused large conduit that connects the crawlspace to the breaker cavity.  It's tall with man door access.  But the crawlspace is dusty.  If there are fans in the inverter that force airflow through it (like a PC) then it's probably not a good environment.  But if not, then it's perfect.  Cool, shaded, close and out of sight. 

daedalus said:
The way my house is set up, 1 corner of the crawlspace is only ~2 feet from the panel, and there's even unused large conduit that connects the crawlspace to the breaker cavity.  It's tall with man door access.  But the crawlspace is dusty.  If there are fans in the inverter that force airflow through it (like a PC) then it's probably not a good environment.  But if not, then it's perfect.  Cool, shaded, close and out of sight.

This is the inverter I have from a 2016 Tesla install, not sure which inverters they are installing nowadays: https://www.delta-americas.com/Products/CategoryListT1.aspx?CID=0505&PID=1759&hl=en-US&Name=Solivia%20Series%203.0%20%E2%80%93%207.6kW

It uses convection cooling so a dusty environment should not be an issue.

Got PTO on my system today and it is turned on and working! From start to end, it took about 60 days. I heard that they're moving much faster right now and installing within a week or two of leaving a deposit.

Got PTO on my system today and it is turned on and working! From start to end, it took about 60 days. I heard that they're moving much faster right now and installing within a week or two of leaving a deposit.

I assume with out dealing with hoa red tape. (House with no hoa)
My general assumption is if they see Tesla or major solar company installing it. But if it is some guy with no license or just got his license maybe question it.

within a week or two of the $100 deposit?  i'm having a much different experience:

-july 20 deposit
-july 27 all pictures uploaded and forms e-signed

and i've been stuck on the permit section ever since.  not really any communication from tesla either.  i'll probably wait until tues or weds next week to call them and see if i can get an update.

In Irvine, my sibling placed their order on 7/22 and has install scheduled for 8/10. No HOA - permit was approved in 1 day back on 7/31.

If you live in Irvine - checkhttps://permits.cityofirvine.org/irvinepermits/

You can look up permits for your address (and any other, for that matter). If you see your solar permit approved, call Tesla and tell them. Tesla doesn't check status on your permit every day. This online permitting system is only available during business hours so something to keep in mind when searching.

Back