Tesla Solar Panels Price Cut

zubs said:
yeah I see the chart.  it's like 3 to 4 cents per kwh instead of 25 cents.

The 25 may be the prior shaft out rate before the current payout plan post minimum charges which is literally pennies per KwH.  I recall the 25 cents because it upset me back then, then the new law and I didn't realize the shaft out get that bad.  But hey, I use it all and then some now.

At less than 4 cents a KwH, you have absolutely no incentive to conserve (other than saving the planet).

nosuchreality said:
zubs said:

The 25 may be the prior shaft out rate before the current payout plan post minimum charges which is literally pennies per KwH.  I recall the 25 cents because it upset me back then, then the new law and I didn't realize the shaft out get that bad.  But hey, I use it all and then some now.

At less than 4 cents a KwH, you have absolutely no incentive to conserve (other than saving the planet).

That means not prime time?

eyephone said:
nosuchreality said:
zubs said:

That means not prime time?

It's so past prime time it means the CA legislature gave SCE, PGE and companies like Tesla (via SolarCity) big fat gravy train of taxpayer money.  (You can just look back 9 years to see my math on what I pay per kwh going forward and how much California tax and rate payers are on the hook for contributing).

As for the 25 cents on the dollar math it works out for how the bait and switch math plays  out on your bill.  To understand the gravy train we need to look at Zub's original scenario. 

Zub's bill arrived with a "credit" of $52.12.  It is calculated based on what Zub would have had to pay retail via his SCE plan for the energy.  At 19 cents per KwH for Tier 1 baseline (previously 13 cents?), Zub generated about 275 KwH.  The bill credit shows $52.12, but if they went to cash out in September 2019, they would have received 275 * $0.03804 = $10.46 for it.  (or about 20-25 cents per dollar of 'credit')

You can see this math in action on 2011 bill via SCE Understanding you NEM billing. https://www1.sce.com/wps/wcm/connec...0d-1c60c2a1fa64/NEM_FactSheet.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

For the people who got solar, how much did you have to pay your HOA to have them review the plans?  Mine wants $275 which seems a bit ridiculous since there's really no community guideline that they need to verify against (not like Landscape).

woodburyowner said:
For the people who got solar, how much did you have to pay your HOA to have them review the plans?  Mine wants $275 which seems a bit ridiculous since there's really no community guideline that they need to verify against (not like Landscape).

seems high.  ours is $100.  is there a portion of that going towards a security deposit for any common area damage during installation?

Both my $100 amazon gift card and my $250 Panasonic rebate check came in...so it worked.

Kings said:
woodburyowner said:

seems high.  ours is $100.  is there a portion of that going towards a security deposit for any common area damage during installation?

I left out the refundable $500 part.  Crazy to think no one has brought this up before with the HOA. 

Thanks to Akkord, I got $2.65 per watt.  I couldn't get any lower because I'm only getting 12 panels.  Also I got good news on my roof repairs, I don't have to re-felt the entire roof just the weathered sections that had leaks so my roof repair bill went from also $30k to $2k. 

It's funny this tesla post got like 10 people to install solar panels....and not from the big solar companies.

USCTrojanCPA said:
Thanks to Akkord, I got $2.65 per watt.  I couldn't get any lower because I'm only getting 12 panels.  Also I got good news on my roof repairs, I don't have to re-felt the entire roof just the weathered sections that had leaks so my roof repair bill went from also $30k to $2k.

real good deal.  what type of panels and inverters do they use?

Homer_Simpson said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

real good deal.  what type of panels and inverters do they use?

Panasonic Panels and Enphase Microinverters, if you do more panels the price goes down to 2.60/watt prior to tax credit. Best I could find when I vetted all the local companies in the OC area that are not using offbrand panels/inverters. 

Ours was $200, but the solar company I used paid for it. I just had to mail the deposit check that I'll get back. 

Kings said:
woodburyowner said:

My HOA approved my solar panel installation application in 2 days (Tustin Ranch) with no fee/deposit required.  Plans are now at the city waiting for approval.

USCTrojanCPA said:
My HOA approved my solar panel installation application in 2 days (Tustin Ranch) with no fee/deposit required.  Plans are now at the city waiting for approval.

Purchase or rental?

So it's 2020 and how is everyone doing with their solar?

Looks like my neighbor is having theirs installed... some no-name company.

Need to get ours put in before it starts getting hot again.

irvinehomeowner said:
So it's 2020 and how is everyone doing with their solar?

Looks like my neighbor is having theirs installed... some no-name company.

Need to get ours put in before it starts getting hot again.

Generating more power than I need in the first few weeks that it's been up.  But I have the pool pump off and will be putting in a spa.  My goal was to get 90-98% energy coverage once the pool and spa are online.

Back