Tesla Solar Panels Price Cut

2015 was the tesla install and back then there was only production.  I'm sure they can update the system, but I'm not going to deal with it.

@woodburyowner: Did Tesla have to upgrade your electrical box? Since your screen name may place you in Woodbury, you may not need to but an ex-neighbor of mine just got solar and he said that upgrading his electrical was something he didn't figure into his costs.

I'm wondering if you are renting from Tesla if they include that work or charge you for it.

irvinehomeowner said:
@woodburyowner: Did Tesla have to upgrade your electrical box? Since your screen name may place you in Woodbury, you may not need to but an ex-neighbor of mine just got solar and he said that upgrading his electrical was something he didn't figure into his costs.

I'm wondering if you are renting from Tesla if they include that work or charge you for it.

No solar installer will include an upgrade of the electrical panel for a solar install.  This upgrade is not cheap ($2k on the low side) and requires permits and a specialized licensed electrician.   

For me, my panel was completely maxed out and the Tesla installer had to rearrange my panel and combine some breakers to add the PV breaker.  This was included in the install.

I think a good price is around 2.5k for the panel upgrade/install, but SCE has a cheaper option, $500 or so?  I can't remember the exact pricing.  You do have to wait for SCE to schedule and come out which delays the overall install process a little longer.  Infinity Solar told us about the cheaper option and one of my coworkers went that route. 

**Disclaimer - I didn't need any updates on my install so don't know the full details or if this option is available for all older panels, but worth checking out.

I did not know SCE does panel upgrades.

@akkord: So how is your install?

I'm really thinking about just doing the Tesla rental so I don't have to commit any funds. :)

irvinehomeowner said:

I'm really thinking about just doing the Tesla rental so I don't have to commit any funds. :)

Iho: a helpful tip. I think they took away no removal fee away. Maybe wait until they bring it back? Idk

I think 30 panels was a bit much. 
It's been 5 months since I put my panels on and only in NOV DEC and JAN did I suck more power from Edison then I made from the sun.
It means I'm going to be generating a lot more power than I use for 9 months out of the year.

It's probably time I find some more electrical shit to add to my house that will eat the overproduction.

irvinehomeowner said:

It's not a panel upgrade/replacement, but something they add onto or on top of the existing panel which is why it's cheaper. 

So far no issues, one panel is making 10-15% less than the others for a bit now, but I'll send over to Infinity Solar and see what they say, maybe just a bad/less efficient panel.

zubs said:
I think 30 panels was a bit much. 
It's been 5 months since I put my panels on and only in NOV DEC and JAN did I suck more power from Edison then I made from the sun.
It means I'm going to be generating a lot more power than I use for 9 months out of the year.

It's probably time I find some more electrical shit to add to my house that will eat the overproduction.

You'll use a lot more when summer comes around to blast the AC, that will eat up a lot of the excess even though you're still producing more in the summer.  I guess we'll find out in a couple of months. 

I noticed one panel making less than the other panels....then I went outside and looked, and it was a shadow of my chimney on the panel that appeared during the winter months, but disappeared in the summer months.

zubs said:
I noticed one panel making less than the other panels....then I went outside and looked, and it was a shadow of my chimney on the panel that appeared during the winter months, but disappeared in the summer months.

I have no chimney or tress blocking the panels.  Nothing up there that would throw a shadow on it from what I can see

I went on Energy Sage and started to collect some quotes. Our SCE bill is only about $50/month ($70/month in the summer). Pricing seems pretty reasonable - getting quotes in the 2.90/watt range for a smaller system (2.5 kw).

That should fulfill our need - but what if we get an EV? For those who have an EV - how much did your consumption increase after charging your car at home. We're specifically looking at getting a Tesla Model Y.

Starting to heat up... I should have done solar earlier this year but we had this little thing called a pandemic going on.

Are solar companies still installing during this time? I hear new ads on the radio from SunLux (?) saying they are restarting their lease program.

best_potsticker_in_town said:
I went on Energy Sage and started to collect some quotes. Our SCE bill is only about $50/month ($70/month in the summer). Pricing seems pretty reasonable - getting quotes in the 2.90/watt range for a smaller system (2.5 kw).

That should fulfill our need - but what if we get an EV? For those who have an EV - how much did your consumption increase after charging your car at home. We're specifically looking at getting a Tesla Model Y.

2.5KW is a really small system.  That's what 7-8 panels?  I'd go bigger, you will use more electricity when you get solar and definitely want to use more AC during the summer and to plan for the future like you said, an EV.  Depending on how many miles you drive in your EV, I'm sure there are online calculators on how much you'll charge per year. 

Believe my solar guy was quoting 2.65 for smaller jobs, 2.60 for bigger jobs, but this was before Covid, not sure what pricing is now.  Note my quote may be different equipment than yours, but we had pretty much the top rated panels/inverters at the time of our installs, 3-6 months ago.

Then you should not get solar unless you want to keep up with the Jones.

From seeking some quotes - many solar companies are still installing. I haven't started haggling to see how low they'll go. 2.90/watt is the lowest I've been quoted thus far.

2.5kw is indeed small, about 8 panels. I'm going back and asking for a quote for 12 panels with the assumption that we'll be running AC more and also charging an EV. 

You definitely are not a good candidate for solar purchase.  That system is way too small.  Go with the Tesla solar rental program.  $65 (tesla) + $8-10 (sce) per month will get you about 6000 kWh of electricity a year. 

woodburyowner said:

You definitely are not a good candidate for solar purchase.  That system is way too small.  Go with the Tesla solar rental program.  $65 (tesla) + $8-10 (sce) per month will get you about 6000 kWh of electricity a year.

Yes, looking into the Tesla subscription option too. Talked to a couple solar vendors and they want to double the number of panels (from 8 to 15-20) just for the car. Tesla subscription might be ideal here. Unfortunately, they're now asking $2,500 for removal, if it ever comes to that.

Back