Tesla Solar Panels Price Cut

woodburyowner said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Did anyone do the Tesla rental?

I did.  It's exactly as advertised.  Quick install, no BS, no games.  The process was extremely streamlined.

What size did you go for? What was your bill before and after? Still considering it, but our SCE bill is just about $60/month during non-summer months.

best_potsticker_in_town said:
woodburyowner said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Did anyone do the Tesla rental?

I did.  It's exactly as advertised.  Quick install, no BS, no games.  The process was extremely streamlined.

What size did you go for? What was your bill before and after? Still considering it, but our SCE bill is just about $60/month during non-summer months.

Went for the small size.  That's all my roof had space for.  My bill averages $75 during on-summer months, but then I got an EV a few months back.  I'm definitely coming up ahead, but the amount is unknown at this point.  For solar, you have to switch to a TOU plan and it makes the calculation very difficult. 

hurijo said:
My main concern with Tesla rental are price increases. Granted removal is free, but still a hassle.

You should be coming up $20-$25 a month ahead with the Tesla rental.  So there is a decent buffer of when it won't make sense anymore.  I don't see removing it as any hassle.  It's just a phone call and you probably only need to be home to sign off on the paperwork when the system is removed. 

woodburyowner said:
hurijo said:
My main concern with Tesla rental are price increases. Granted removal is free, but still a hassle.

You should be coming up $20-$25 a month ahead with the Tesla rental.  So there is a decent buffer of when it won't make sense anymore.  I don't see removing it as any hassle.  It's just a phone call and you probably only need to be home to sign off on the paperwork when the system is removed.

You forget to mention, be home with the roofer also, as removing will have holes on your roofs. I don?t believe Tesla will responsible to work on patching up.

Compressed-Village said:
woodburyowner said:
hurijo said:

You forget to mention, be home with the roofer also, as removing will have holes on your roofs. I don?t believe Tesla will responsible to work on patching up.

Of course Tesla will patch your roof when the system is removed.  It would be pretty ridiculous if they just rip off the panels and leave your roof with a bunch of holes in it..

Tesla, or one of our subcontractors, will patch and seal all roof penetrations associated with removal of the System. Tesla shallhave no obligation to repair any ordinary wear and tear on the Home, or to provide any replacement parts"

Unfortunately, doesn't look like Tesla rental is offering free removal now. They removed the language from the website as well as the legal mumbo-jumbo.

What happens after I cancel my agreement?
You can cancel your subscription at any time with no cancellation fee. After cancellation, your solar panels will be deactivated and will remain on your roof until you choose to reactivate them or have them removed at a mutually agreeable time. If you want your system removed, Tesla will provide you with a competitive quote.

best_potsticker_in_town said:
Unfortunately, doesn't look like Tesla rental is offering free removal now. They removed the language from the website as well as the legal mumbo-jumbo.

What happens after I cancel my agreement?
You can cancel your subscription at any time with no cancellation fee. After cancellation, your solar panels will be deactivated and will remain on your roof until you choose to reactivate them or have them removed at a mutually agreeable time. If you want your system removed, Tesla will provide you with a competitive quote.

the ol' elon switcheroo

Sounds too easy.  So they "deactivate" them and I then splice into the power line and use my own inverter with SCE? 

And do they really not want to just do the removal for free, rather than risk finding a pile of glass and sheet metal on the driveway when the "mutually agreeable time" comes?

Removing solar panels cannot be that hard.

daedalus said:
Sounds too easy.  So they "deactivate" them and I then splice into the power line and use my own inverter with SCE? 

And do they really not want to just do the removal for free, rather than risk finding a pile of glass and sheet metal on the driveway when the "mutually agreeable time" comes?

i like it, but it might sting when the inflated lien (think 20-30% extra cost so that they can beef up the itc) comes back to bite you  :-\

daedalus said:

Removing the panels is super easy.

Having your roof not leak like a spaghetti strainer during the next rain is the hard part.

Doubly so if your prior installers were incentivized to do quick and easy on the install.

nosuchreality said:
Having your roof not leak like a spaghetti strainer during the next rain is the hard part.
The hardest part is getting on the roof.  A plug of roofing sealant injected into each fastener hole should be sufficient to keep water out. 

Looking at the stats gets pretty addicting  :D I wish Tesla had a desktop website like SolarCity used to have not just the app.

marmott said:
Looking at the stats gets pretty addicting  :D I wish Tesla had a desktop website like SolarCity used to have not just the app.

Yeah it's kinda fun looking how much power I generated and how power I use each day, but then again I'm a numbers guy.  haha

My parents have the Tesla app.  I have the enlighten app from enphase.
enlighten is much better than Tesla as it tells you how much you consume, and how much you produce.

Tesla and solaredge needs more work on their app.  Now that Tesla is nearing $1,000 a share customers should demand they put more resources into their app department.

Here is part of the enphase enlighten app:

Enlighten-Mobile-Blog-Screenshot-Status.jpg

You can click on the "array" part and see how much each panel is producing.  I noticed 2 of my panels are shaded by my chimney and so they make < other panels.

zubs said:
My parents have the Tesla app.  I have the enlighten app from enphase.
enlighten is much better than Tesla as it tells you how much you consume, and how much you produce.

Tesla app does show how much you consume and produce.  Check under "Energy Usage" and the icons on top allow you to toggle through the options.

Back