Tesla Solar Panels Price Cut

woodburyowner said:
eyephone said:
Again, a bathroom or a kitchen upgrade probably would be a better roi than solar.

The ROI or solar is around like 10 plus years. If you work from home or have 2 hvac units it might be sooner. Also, look at the weather change. (Kind is gloomy and rainy. Seems like more cooler than before which may effect the panels. I hope they factor that in.)

The payback on a smaller system (ie. 4kw) is around 8 years and can go down to 6 years if you use an above average amount of electricity.  This is not taking into account any price increases from SCE.

I'm not sure how you're getting 10 years.

It all depends. It depends on the SIZE of the system, brand, wall battery, etc.

Didn?t someone on TI say 10 years.

woodburyowner said:
Cares said:
zubs said:
So last night, I was doing my due diligence on solar and this site energysage.com kept coming up.

So I signed up and they sent me these quotes thismorning: (after 30% tax credit prices)
Infinity Solar ~ $13,243/6,930 = $1.91 per watt (21 panels using panasonic)
LA Solar Group ~ $16,814/8,580 = $1.95 per watt (26 panels using panasonic)
Solar MAX ~ $14,345/7,590 = $1.89 per watt (23 panels using panasonic)

It looks like Sunrun and Tesla are the big players and more expensive, but the smaller players have better value.

Tesla price matches any quote. What I did was take LA Solar's quote after bartering them down to Tesla and they matched it.

Does Tesla care about which panels and inverters you price match to?  They use Hanwha panels only which aren't very popular among smaller solar installer companies.  Most use LG or Panasonic.  Just curious what their price match terms are.

My understanding is that Tesla uses Panasonic.

eyephone said:
woodburyowner said:
eyephone said:
Again, a bathroom or a kitchen upgrade probably would be a better roi than solar.

The ROI or solar is around like 10 plus years. If you work from home or have 2 hvac units it might be sooner. Also, look at the weather change. (Kind is gloomy and rainy. Seems like more cooler than before which may effect the panels. I hope they factor that in.)

The payback on a smaller system (ie. 4kw) is around 8 years and can go down to 6 years if you use an above average amount of electricity.  This is not taking into account any price increases from SCE.

No...most people are around 5 to 8.

Interior remodeling is worst ROI...you never get the same value back. 

According to Remodeling Magazine (http://www.remodeling.hw.net/) you're less likely to recoup your investment in a major kitchen or bathroom remodel than you are to get back what you spend on basic home maintenance such as new siding. Siding replacement recouped 92.8 percent of its cost, according to the study. The only home improvement likely to return more at resale was a minor (roughly $15,000) kitchen remodel, which returned 92.9 percent. Replacing roofs and windows were also high on the list, returning 80 percent or more at resale.
https://www.hgtv.com/design/decorating/clean-and-organize/which-home-improvements-pay-off

Irvinecommuter said:
woodburyowner said:
Cares said:
zubs said:
So last night, I was doing my due diligence on solar and this site energysage.com kept coming up.

So I signed up and they sent me these quotes thismorning: (after 30% tax credit prices)

It looks like Sunrun and Tesla are the big players and more expensive, but the smaller players have better value.

Tesla price matches any quote. What I did was take LA Solar's quote after bartering them down to Tesla and they matched it.

Does Tesla care about which panels and inverters you price match to?  They use Hanwha panels only which aren't very popular among smaller solar installer companies.  Most use LG or Panasonic.  Just curious what their price match terms are.

They are quoting: Q.PEAK DUO BLK-G5 / SC 315

I have a 11.655kW 37 panel system quoted at $33,217 before incentives. After incentives $1.99 per watt. Probably should be able to negotiate them down a little bit. I don't know why they are quoting 315 watt panels instead of 330 watt that others are using since they maxed out my roof and I'm still only at about 75% offset.

Cares said:
Irvinecommuter said:
woodburyowner said:
Cares said:
zubs said:

I have a 11.655kW 37 panel system quoted at $33,217 before incentives. After incentives $1.99 per watt. Probably should be able to negotiate them down a little bit. I don't know why they are quoting 315 watt panels instead of 330 watt that others are using since they maxed out my roof and I'm still only at about 75% offset.

Hole-Moleeey

Do you have like 2 AC units, EV, a pool, electronics galore and doing bitcoin mining?

Cares said:
Irvinecommuter said:
woodburyowner said:
Cares said:
zubs said:

everyone's inventory is a little different depending on when they purchased the panels wholesale and how long they may have been sitting, but generally speaking 315W panels are cheaper than 330W and give the installer a bigger margin

eyephone said:
Cares said:
Irvinecommuter said:
woodburyowner said:
Cares said:
zubs said:

Hole-Moleeey

Do you have like 2 AC units, EV, a pool, electronics galore and doing bitcoin mining?

2 Teslas and my wife and I probably drive combined 35-38k miles annually.

Irvinecommuter said:
That is pretty much the pricing i got...but add like 8k for the 2 powerwalls

$8K for 2 Powerwalls? I always wondered how much it would cost. I?ve heard wait time is really long for these.

Well if any readers who have had solar for 3+ years would like to chime in on the good and bad of it, that would be helpful.
I'm currently trying to figure out if I want to put more panels on my roof or less.  Sunrun said I only needed 21 panels, but I feel like I need 26+.

I don't want to run into a situation where I'm paying edison $600/year for electricity over runs because I didn't get enough panels.

something interesting I noticed:
Sunrun ~ 21 panels = 6,090 watts = 290 watt panels

The local installers are quoting 330 watt panels.

marmott said:
Irvinecommuter said:
That is pretty much the pricing i got...but add like 8k for the 2 powerwalls

$8K for 2 Powerwalls? I always wondered how much it would cost. I?ve heard wait time is really long for these.

Tesla has stock for immediate install (after permitting and all that) right now. Most people are looking for 3rd party installers though because Tesla is maxed out on the SGIP rebate whereas 3rd party can still get $3000+ back.

11,665 watts / 37 panels = 315 watts per panel.
Thanks cares for your info.

Now I'm wondering if I can get 350 watt panels.

Actually I just got another quote in this morning:
Altair Solar ~ 8,030 watts with 22 panels = 365 watts per panel made by LG.
However, they are $1.99/watt so more expensive than the 330 watt local makers.

Maybe LG panels are bigger than Panasonic panels and that's why they are rated higher.  I'll look into it.

Irvinecommuter said:
eyephone said:
woodburyowner said:
eyephone said:

No...most people are around 5 to 8.

Interior remodeling is worst ROI...you never get the same value back. 

According to Remodeling Magazine (http://www.remodeling.hw.net/) you're less likely to recoup your investment in a major kitchen or bathroom remodel than you are to get back what you spend on basic home maintenance such as new siding. Siding replacement recouped 92.8 percent of its cost, according to the study. The only home improvement likely to return more at resale was a minor (roughly $15,000) kitchen remodel, which returned 92.9 percent. Replacing roofs and windows were also high on the list, returning 80 percent or more at resale.
https://www.hgtv.com/design/decorating/clean-and-organize/which-home-improvements-pay-off

IC  The best ROI is to remodel a kitchen or bathroom.

When someone buys a house one of the first two things they look at is the kitchen and bathroom. I would even say that goes for renters. (Probably not the same when it comes to solar.) So if a person was planning to rent out there place consider doing a small upgrade to those places. That?s if you want to get like top dollar.

Btw - There?s a TI member that has solar panel for his rental and did not get top dollar. As a matter of fact they low balled him. They didn?t care if he had solar or not. Let?s say he had an upgraded kitchen or bathrooms he might have listed his house for rent for top dollar.

maxROI is a live

I would never buy a house with solar. Hopefully you can opt out of that requirement when buying a new home after that law requiring new homes to have solar kicks in.

qwerty said:
I would never buy a house with solar. Hopefully you can opt out of that requirement when buying a new home after that law requiring new homes to have solar kicks in.

Why not? Doesn't solar help your monthly costs, esp if you are EVing it?

zubs said:
11,665 watts / 37 panels = 315 watts per panel.
Thanks cares for your info.

Now I'm wondering if I can get 350 watt panels.

Actually I just got another quote in this morning:
Altair Solar ~ 8,030 watts with 22 panels = 365 watts per panel made by LG.
However, they are $1.99/watt so more expensive than the 330 watt local makers.

Maybe LG panels are bigger than Panasonic panels and that's why they are rated higher.  I'll look into it.

There are huge margins in solar panels. Look at random wholesale prices of panels and take Panasonic 330w as an example.
https://www.wholesalesolar.com/shop/solar-panels#panasonic- $370 per

Using your LA Solar quote that amounts to $9620 in panel cost (they probably get it cheaper).  They are marking you up $23k for labor (putting tax incentive back in). Pretty good margin padding there. Negotiate them down!

Perhaps I'm remembering wrong, but we put our system in over eight  years ago and honestly, the pre-rebate numbers you're talking seem basically the same. We then sucked down a 80% rebate.

Supposedly the panasonic panel can take a 1" hail stone going 55 mph and hold up while the LG panel cannot.

Back