Tesla Solar Panels Price Cut

zubs said:
It's been 3 days since I dove into this solar power rabbit hole.  Here are the results:

SUNRUN: $14,600/6,090 WATTS = $2.40/WATT (21 PANELS (290 WATT) SOLAREDGE STRING INVERTER W/OPTIMIZER) ~ annual output 9,986
SOLARMAX: $16,198/8,580 WATTS = $1.89/WATT (26 PANELS (330 WATT) SOLAREDGE STRING INVERTER W/OPTIMIZER)~ annual output 13,198
SOLARMAX: $17,417/8,580 WATTS = $2.03/WATT (26 PANELS (330 WATT) ENPHASE MICROINVERTER) ~ annual output 13,198
SOLAR OPTIMUM: $16,336/8,580 WATTS = $1.90/WATT (26 PANELS (330 WATT) ENPHASE MICROINVERTER) ~ annual output 13,513

So I'm probably going with the last one.  I don't really use that much electricity, but I thought I would just add more panels, because fuck it, I got the roof space.  I'll decide who to pick next week and write something on how it goes when I get more info.

Regarding inverters. 
Enphase microinveters are supposedly better because it runs cooler and each solar panel produces it's own electricity while....
Solaredge inverters uses old technology where if one panel is dirty, it affects all the panels, so if 1 panel is 50% all panels work at 50%.

When I asked sunrun to quote 26 panels, the sales guy said "You don't need that much electricity"...So don't quote me then fucker.

You might want to check in with your electric provider if they'll sign off on a system thst produces !ore than you use.

If I'm putting solar panels on my roof, I don't want an Edison "true up" bill at the end of the year.  Even if I use less than what my solar provides, I want to be over covered.  I want my electricity to feel like it's free...or as close to 0 as possible.

zubs said:
If I'm putting solar panels on my roof, I don't want an Edison "true up" bill at the end of the year.  Even if I use less than what my solar provides, I want to be over covered.  I want my electricity to feel like it's free...or as close to 0 as possible.

This is the way to go Zub. Now, I have to convince my wife.

Been wanting this.

Plus I feel like all that real estate on my roof for energy generation would go to waste if I'm not using it for the betterment of society.  All that power I'm creating is benefiting everyone by making Edison not have to make it. 

Why not cover your entire west and south side roof so more electricty can be made?

Actually you can cover your entire roof with solar panels, but the west and south side produce the most electricity.

zubs said:
Plus I feel like all that real estate on my roof for energy generation would go to waste if I'm not using it for the betterment of society.  All that power I'm creating is benefiting everyone by making Edison not have to make it. 

That's what I'm saying. If your whole street had solar and batteries, no one would need Edison. :)

For those of us with backyards, how feasible is a non-roof unit?

What's the average size per wattage for solar panels? If I could put it on my patio trellis, that would do dual duty of shade/rain protection and solar.

There are some problems with it.  I asked this of the sunrun sales guy and he said they only do roof installs.  Plus the tile composition of your roof matters.  If it's concrete it's ok.  If it's clay, then it's harder to do. 

I think you need a special permit to put it on a patio.  These solar panels get real hot and can be a fire hazard.  That's why the inverter matters too as the microinverter runs cooler than the string inverter.

irvinehomeowner said:
zubs said:

That's what I'm saying. If your whole street had solar and batteries, no one would need Edison. :)

That's a real thing in about 10 years...utilities needs lots of people to spread out the costs...the more people that go off the grid, the higher the rates will be, which will lead to more people getting off the grid.  Death spiral.

zubs said:

Minimum  charges, bill will just under $10.  But that's a side issue, LADWP and others are requiring certification by homepwners that they are not over building and no credit will be given for excess energy.

What kind of maintenance does the tesla battery pack have?

I read that the rooms under your solar panel will be cooler as well.
The panels act like a heat shield.  Not sure how much cooler, or it could just be a sellers gimmick.

After pondering this, I think if you use a microinverter where the panels run cooler than a string inverter, the room under your panels would be cooler.  However, using a string inverter, the solar panels run hot, and so heat shielding has a minimal effect.

zubs said:

That?s why you need a storage battery.

Irvinecommuter said:
irvinehomeowner said:
zubs said:

That's a real thing in about 10 years...utilities needs lots of people to spread out the costs...the more people that go off the grid, the higher the rates will be, which will lead to more people getting off the grid.  Death spiral.

Then you can argue they might do a Nevada. Claw back the solar benefits or something.

The grandfathering for the tier 1,2,3 for the early adopters of solar is 20 years (before 2017).  So perhaps edison will give me the present adopter using the Time Of USE  TOU system a grandfathering of 20 years as well.  I'll buy a battery if edison does a clawback.  Don't need one right now.

nosuchreality said:
zubs said:

Minimum  charges, bill will just under $10.  But that's a side issue, LADWP and others are requiring certification by homepwners that they are not over building and no credit will be given for excess energy.

What kind of maintenance does the tesla battery pack have?

Apparently nothing...Tesla monitors and maintains for 10 years...25 for the panels.

zubs said:
The grandfathering for the tier 1,2,3 for the early adopters of solar is 20 years (before 2017).  So perhaps edison will give me the present adopter using the Time Of USE  TOU system a grandfathering of 20 years as well.  I'll buy a battery if edison does a clawback.  Don't need one right now.

The State?s energy commission can change the rules. (look at Nevada)

zubs said:
It's been 3 days since I dove into this solar power rabbit hole.  Here are the results:

SUNRUN: $14,600/6,090 WATTS = $2.40/WATT (21 PANELS (290 WATT) SOLAREDGE STRING INVERTER W/OPTIMIZER) ~ annual output 9,986
SOLARMAX: $16,198/8,580 WATTS = $1.89/WATT (26 PANELS (330 WATT) SOLAREDGE STRING INVERTER W/OPTIMIZER)~ annual output 13,198
SOLARMAX: $17,417/8,580 WATTS = $2.03/WATT (26 PANELS (330 WATT) ENPHASE MICROINVERTER) ~ annual output 13,198
SOLAR OPTIMUM: $16,336/8,580 WATTS = $1.90/WATT (26 PANELS (330 WATT) ENPHASE MICROINVERTER) ~ annual output 13,513

So I'm probably going with the last one.  I don't really use that much electricity, but I thought I would just add more panels, because fuck it, I got the roof space.  I'll decide who to pick next week and write something on how it goes when I get more info.

Regarding inverters. 
Enphase microinveters are supposedly better because it runs cooler and each solar panel produces it's own electricity while....
Solaredge inverters uses old technology where if one panel is dirty, it affects all the panels, so if 1 panel is 50% all panels work at 50%.

When I asked sunrun to quote 26 panels, the sales guy said "You don't need that much electricity"...So don't quote me then fucker.

I'm going with Solar Optimum as well it seems. They priced you high though but maybe because I have more volume. I'm at $1.84 after tax credit with them for same panels and inverters.

eyephone said:
Cares said:
I found a good installer with lots of Yelp reviews currently at $2.61 per watt. This is so cheap compared to my previous install that was barely under $3.00 per watt.

Wait. Are you the one that rented out your place with solar and they made a Low Ball Offer?

Yes but I still got them to pay close to what I was asking for.

Cares said:
eyephone said:
Cares said:
I found a good installer with lots of Yelp reviews currently at $2.61 per watt. This is so cheap compared to my previous install that was barely under $3.00 per watt.

Wait. Are you the one that rented out your place with solar and they made a Low Ball Offer?

Acutually it?s not your fault. There are many supply out there. (many homes for rent)

eyephone said:
zubs said:

The State?s energy commission can change the rules. (look at Nevada)

Yes they could but California actually wants to push for green energy...Nevada is super beholdened to special interest.

eyephone said:
Cares said:
eyephone said:
Cares said:

Acutually it?s not your fault. There are many supply out there. (many homes for rent)

That was in the city of Cerritos at my other house. Rental inventory is actually low for the area. My asking rent was "high". I'm breaking even with just 25% equity in the house which is unheard of in Irvine where you might not even break even with 50%.

Back