Tesla Solar Panels Price Cut

zubs said:
So I'm probably going with the last one.  I don't really use that much electricity, but I thought I would just add more panels, because fuck it, I got the roof space.  I'll decide who to pick next week and write something on how it goes when I get more info.

And by the way because you are going the micro-inverter route, you can always add panels easily versus string inverters so you don't necessarily have to oversize right now.

Irvinecommuter said:
eyephone said:
zubs said:
The grandfathering for the tier 1,2,3 for the early adopters of solar is 20 years (before 2017).  So perhaps edison will give me the present adopter using the Time Of USE  TOU system a grandfathering of 20 years as well.  I'll buy a battery if edison does a clawback.  Don't need one right now.

The State?s energy commission can change the rules. (look at Nevada)

Yes they could but California actually wants to push for green energy...Nevada is super beholdened to special interest.

Also, maybe they won?t take all the benefits away. But they can add a tax.

Hypothetical: I can see a scenario that they do an analysis to see the household income. Maybe add additional tax for solar.

eyephone said:
Irvinecommuter said:
eyephone said:
zubs said:
The grandfathering for the tier 1,2,3 for the early adopters of solar is 20 years (before 2017).  So perhaps edison will give me the present adopter using the Time Of USE  TOU system a grandfathering of 20 years as well.  I'll buy a battery if edison does a clawback.  Don't need one right now.

Yes they could but California actually wants to push for green energy...Nevada is super beholdened to special interest.

Hypothetical: I can see a scenario that they do an analysis to see the household income. Maybe add additional tax for solar.

They wont...they already mandated that solar panels be put on all new residential constructions.  It would make no sense to hinder people from upgrading on existing residences. 

California already sent a target of being free from carbon power generation by 2045. 

Having people go off the grid actually makes a lot of sense for economic and regulatory reasons.

Cares said:
eyephone said:
Cares said:
I found a good installer with lots of Yelp reviews currently at $2.61 per watt. This is so cheap compared to my previous install that was barely under $3.00 per watt.

Wait. Are you the one that rented out your place with solar and they made a Low Ball Offer?

Yes but I still got them to pay close to what I was asking for.

The closer I come to picking a company, the more I look....
Solar Optimum is in Glendale, CA.  It is freaking far away if anything goes wrong.  So now I'm looking at Infinity Solar.  They have the same equipment, but they are more expensive, but at least they are in Orange.  I'm going to ask them to lower their prices to optimum's.

I'll prob. use your $1.84/watt price and see what they say.

Cares said:
zubs said:
So I'm probably going with the last one.  I don't really use that much electricity, but I thought I would just add more panels, because fuck it, I got the roof space.  I'll decide who to pick next week and write something on how it goes when I get more info.

And by the way because you are going the micro-inverter route, you can always add panels easily versus string inverters so you don't necessarily have to oversize right now.

The string inverter made by solar max has optimizers on each panel, so you can add more panels in the future....it is a tech upgrade from old string inverters.

I don't understand what difference it makes being in Glendale vs Irvine. They will come to you and not you going to them.

Their trucks and service people are 1.5 hours away as opposed to 15-30 min away. 
It matters to me.

Irvinecommuter said:
eyephone said:
Irvinecommuter said:
eyephone said:
zubs said:

They wont...they already mandated that solar panels be put on all new residential constructions.  It would make no sense to hinder people from upgrading on existing residences. 

California already sent a target of being free from carbon power generation by 2045. 

Having people go off the grid actually makes a lot of sense for economic and regulatory reasons.

To be honest that might be roll backed. It costs darn too much to do that.

The California Democrats legislation needs to becareful passing laws that are way to expensive to achieve. The voter base will revolt. As the little guy will get totally shafted both ways.

It?s like wait a minute you want me to get panels, but I can barely afford to get by. (Pay check to paycheck/getting advances on paychecks is the norm.)

Wild card: This is why I think they might subsidize the cost and make it dirt cheap.

zubs said:
Their trucks and service people are 1.5 hours away as opposed to 15-30 min away. 
It matters to me.

Just to set your expectation, no one is going to same day service your solar panels. They will make an appointment with you. So say they will be there in a week bewteen 9am-12pm then who cares where they come from?

eyephone said:

The California Democrats legislation needs to becareful passing laws that are way to expensive to achieve. The voter base will revolt. As the little guy will get totally shafted both ways.

It?s like wait a minute you want me to get panels, but I can barely afford to get by. (Pay check to paycheck/getting advances on paychecks is the norm.)

Wild card: This is why I think they might subsidize the cost and make it dirt cheap.

What?  It's already in place...it is set to be in effect for 2020.

In the long-term, solar panels benefit homeowners. While the upfront cost for building a home will increase?by as much as $10,000, according to the California Energy Commission, or as much as $25,000-30,000, according to home construction company Meritage Homes?long-term energy bill savings will be considerable.

Reuters reports that a homeowner could expect to save $19,000 in energy costs over 30 years, while Meritage Homes predicts reduced operating costs could amount to as much as $50,000-60,000 over a 25-year period.
http://fortune.com/2018/12/06/california-solar-panels-new-homes/

This is not a requirement for existing homes...people buying new homes are not exactly going paycheck to paycheck. 

Irvinecommuter said:
eyephone said:

In the long-term, solar panels benefit homeowners. While the upfront cost for building a home will increase?by as much as $10,000, according to the California Energy Commission, or as much as $25,000-30,000, according to home construction company Meritage Homes?long-term energy bill savings will be considerable.

Reuters reports that a homeowner could expect to save $19,000 in energy costs over 30 years, while Meritage Homes predicts reduced operating costs could amount to as much as $50,000-60,000 over a 25-year period.

This is not a requirement for existing homes...people buying new homes are not exactly going paycheck to paycheck.

I?m talking about the 2045 goal. Unless they give away money. I don?t see how the average guy working minimum wage or above can afford solar. Unless they make it dirttttt cheap.

Or they have a private report/analysis that solar cost will drop by then. (Just guessing)

eyephone said:
Irvinecommuter said:
eyephone said:

I?m talking about the 2045 goal. Unless they give away money. I don?t see how the average guy working minimum wage or above can afford solar. Unless they make it dirttttt cheap.

It's a goal...and it's not just about residential solar panels.  It's about shift power generation from carbon sources to green energy for utilities.  It's about encourage businesses and landlords to install solar panels/alternative energy. 

2045 is 25 years away...think about what technology looked like 25 years ago.

Cares said:
zubs said:
It matters to me.

Just to set your expectation, no one is going to same day service your solar panels. They will make an appointment with you. So say they will be there in a week bewteen 9am-12pm then who cares where they come from?

I expect that the company that is closer to me will have more flexibility when it comes to scheduling service.  When you ask solar optimum to come out, they will look on their schedule and try to put all their services out in Irvine on the same day.  When you ask infinity solar to come out, they will have more open days to come out because of proximity to their truck yard.

no company wants their service people wasting time driving 3 hours round trip.

Irvinecommuter said:
eyephone said:
Irvinecommuter said:
eyephone said:

It's a goal...and it's not just about residential solar panels.  It's about shift power generation from carbon sources to green energy for utilities.  It's about encourage businesses and landlords to install solar panels/alternative energy. 

Just imagine if you are on fixed income and they want you to get high prices solar.

Hey it?s about the pocketbook. Farmers are not that happy about the tarriffs . People that don?t care about politics, but the tax salt deductions are not happy. (Just like the CNBC video I posted, people are tweeting the hosts about the salt deductions.)
People only care about what affects them and forcing people to get solar is a big time issue. So I can?t eat or pay my rent and I need to get solar!!!

eyephone said:
Just imagine if you are on fixed income and they want you to get high prices solar.

Hey it?s about the pocketbook. Farmers are not that happy about the tarriffs . People that don?t care about politics, but the tax salt deductions are not happy. (Just like the CNBC video I posted, people are tweeting the hosts about the salt deductions.)
People only care about what affects them and forcing people to get solar is a big time issue. So I can?t eat or pay my rent and I need to get solar!!!

No one is telling anyone to get anything.  There are going to be subsidies and tax breaks...people said the same things about retrofitting building for energy efficiency and to efforts to reduce water consumption. 

At some point, you need to be proactive...it's what makes California great.

Irvinecommuter said:
eyephone said:

No one is telling anyone to get anything.  There are going to be subsidies and tax breaks...people said the same things about retrofitting building for energy efficiency and to efforts to reduce water consumption. 

At some point, you need to be proactive...it's what makes California great.
[/quote]

You are stretching it. Water consumption is different than getting forced to get solar. If the state forced you to get a $10k-$20k rain container system to catch the water when it rains then I think you can compare it with solar. But they didn?t.

Your statement that a subsidy/tax break may need to happen proves my point.
Or else the average guy needs to choose between food, rent, legal drug precriptions or SOLAR. (Due to the mandate)

This can be a potential political diaster. (Big time)

Maybe they should share with us a forecast report that they predict solar will be dirt cheap if they have one. (If not my theory might be correct.)

Paycheck to paycheck = can?t afford solar (so change the mandate)

Plus the roi doesn?t make sense. If you ask a business to buy a machine they don?t really need and it might take 8-15 years to break even. (Factoring the battery cost with solar panels, to get like the true bang out of solar panels.)

Most likely the business won?t get the machine that they really don?t need.

Just say you want to be more green.

eyephone said:
Plus the roi doesn?t make sense. If you ask a business to buy a machine they don?t really need and it might take 8-15 years to break even. (Factoring the battery cost, to get the true bang out of solar.)

Most likely the business won?t get the machine that they really don?t need.

Just say you want to be more green.

You keep saying that...Business love stability...solar power gives them that.  They don't have worry about power disruptions, changing rates, and have the potential to scale up whenever they like.    They can also sell the use of solar to their customers...a ton of commercial builders tout how green their buildings are...they can even offer power/energy credits to their customers.

California also has a cap and trade system...shifting to solar power helps businesses reduce their carbon footprint. 

eyephone said:
You are stretching it. Water consumption is different than getting forced to get solar. If the state forced you to get a $10k-$20k rain container system to catch the water when it rains then I think you can compare it with solar. But they didn?t.

Your statement that a subsidy/tax break may need to happen proves my point.
Or else the average guy needs to choose between food, rent, legal drug precriptions or SOLAR. (Due to the mandate)

This can be a potential political diaster. (Big time)

Maybe they should share with us a forecast report that they predict solar will be dirt cheap if they have one. (If not my theory might be correct.)

Paycheck to paycheck = can?t afford solar (so change the mandate)

Who is telling the "average" guy to choose between necessity or solar power?  Why do you keep propping up this strawman?

Do people who live paycheck to paycheck now not pay for power now?

Just like California increased higher and higher emission and mileage standards...people seem to deal with that fine.

Back