Tesla Solar Panels Price Cut

eyephone said:
How about this? Will you move in the future?

zubs said:
My edison bill is about $135/month, but can get to $220 in the Summer time like AUG. 
This $220/month is with me trying to minimize my electricity usage.  If I were to keep my AC at 70 degrees from JUN - SEP, it would probably be more like $350/month.

So lets say I average $150/month * 12 = $1,800/year

After 10 years I would have paid out $18,000. 
TESLA's website quotes me at around $16,000 (with 30% rebate).

So break even is 9 years plus I can keep my AC at 70 degrees all the time.

Is that worth $16,000 with a possible breakeven in 9 years?..I think so.

Ofcourse if you take the $16,000 and put it into something like AVGO, perhaps you would be even better financially, but then you couldn't keep your AC at 70 degrees all the time!!! 

So yeah it's a luxury item, set it and forget it.

Buying a solar system would make me not want to move.  However, if after 5 years, I'm making double my income, I would be tempted to move to a more expensive mansion even though the one I'm in is quite adequate.

zubs said:
eyephone said:

zubs said:
My edison bill is about $135/month, but can get to $220 in the Summer time like AUG. 
This $220/month is with me trying to minimize my electricity usage.  If I were to keep my AC at 70 degrees from JUN - SEP, it would probably be more like $350/month.

Ofcourse if you take the $16,000 and put it into something like AVGO, perhaps you would be even better financially, but then you couldn't keep your AC at 70 degrees all the time!!! 

Buying a solar system would make me not want to move.  However, if after 5 years, I'm making double my income, I would be tempted to move to a more expensive mansion even though the one I'm in is quite adequate.

Aren?t you a CEO already?  ;)
Like the other TI member. I forgot his name. He moved and he couldn?t charge extra for the solar feature.

eyephone said:
zubs said:
eyephone said:

zubs said:

Like the other TI member. I forgot his name. He moved and he couldn?t charge extra for the solar feature.

Hey that was just poor planning on my part. I enjoyed 8 months of my new solar system though! Either way I'm still likely going to pursue solar on my new house. Worth it to me to freely use electricity that I know is "prepaid".

Cares said:
eyephone said:
zubs said:
eyephone said:

zubs said:

Hey that was just poor planning on my part. I enjoyed 8 months of my new solar system though! Either way I'm still likely going to pursue solar on my new house. Worth it to me to freely use electricity that I know is "prepaid".

Might as well drop 20-30 on a index fund or stock of choice.

Irvinecommuter said:
It depends on a lot of factors....for example PG&E is going to start raise rates because of all the wildfire its causing.  Utility will have to step up their fire preventation budgets...which means higher rates.  At some point, there will be a tipping point where people will install solar/batteries to get out of the grid.  The profileration of EV cars is another factor.
PG&E boast themselves as having the highest solar adoption rate in the country for years:https://www.pge.com/en/about/newsro...more_than_150000_solar_customer_installations

They are the second most expensive utility provider in the country, so what you are saying has been happening for years.

Around where I live it?s not uncommon for people to get $800 electricity bills in the summer if they don?t have solar.

Got a quote from sunrun today through Costco:
$22,475 for a 6 KwH system
-$6,742 for the 30% rebate
-$632 10% back Costco card
----------
$15,101
$15,101/6,000 = $2.52 per Watt

Compare this with Tesla's $15,960 which is a 8 KwH system
$15,960/8,000 = $1.99 per Watt

The Costco/Sunrun system also has some credit card and executive account stuff you can game to make it go down another $450, but Tesla is still cheaper.  However, I hear Tesla service is pretty shit and their stock dropped to $205/share today.

I have a Solar City system  now managed by Tesla and the after sale service was pretty good for us. We ?inherited? the system from the previous buyer and having it transferred to our name was a breeze.

The solar gateway (the small device that sits between the inverter and Tesla?s servers) was not working because the previous owner never plugged it in so it expired. It was easy to get a new one sent to us at no cost but they were on back order for 3 months so no tracking of our production or consumption online during that time. It feels like supply chain management is an issue for both car and solar at Tesla.

My last interaction with them was about the power consumption monitoring device not working (it always reported that we were using twice as much power than we were producing). I had an appointment within a week but they had to come two time to fix it completely because we have 2 inverters and they were missing some probes for the indoor electric panel. Everything works now and the technicians that came by were really good.

The main thing that would worry me with Tesla is how long it will take them to complete the installation, the after sale support is good.

zubs said:
Got a quote from sunrun today through Costco:
$22,475 for a 6 KwH system
-$6,742 for the 30% rebate
-$632 10% back Costco card
----------
$15,101
$15,101/6,000 = $2.52 per Watt

Compare this with Tesla's $15,960 which is a 8 KwH system
$15,960/8,000 = $1.99 per Watt

The Costco/Sunrun system also has some credit card and executive account stuff you can game to make it go down another $450, but Tesla is still cheaper.  However, I hear Tesla service is pretty shit and their stock dropped to $205/share today.

As stupid as it sounds, I enjoy having my solar monitoring app integrated into my car app and that is a strong driver of why I'm going to go with Tesla again.

So last night, I was doing my due diligence on solar and this site energysage.com kept coming up.

So I signed up and they sent me these quotes thismorning: (after 30% tax credit prices)
Infinity Solar ~ $13,243/6,930 = $1.91 per watt (21 panels using panasonic)
LA Solar Group ~ $16,814/8,580 = $1.95 per watt (26 panels using panasonic)
Solar MAX ~ $14,345/7,590 = $1.89 per watt (23 panels using panasonic)

It looks like Sunrun and Tesla are the big players and more expensive, but the smaller players have better value.

@zubs:

Did you try solar.com? I keep hearing their ads on the radio how they can get you the best quotes from different solar companies.

zubs said:
So last night, I was doing my due diligence on solar and this site energysage.com kept coming up.

So I signed up and they sent me these quotes thismorning: (after 30% tax credit prices)

It looks like Sunrun and Tesla are the big players and more expensive, but the smaller players have better value.

Tesla price matches any quote. What I did was take LA Solar's quote after bartering them down to Tesla and they matched it.

Cares said:
zubs said:

Tesla price matches any quote. What I did was take LA Solar's quote after bartering them down to Tesla and they matched it.

That is pretty much the pricing i got...but add like 8k for the 2 powerwalls

If you look at all these quotes, the sunrun/costco quote is the highest.
You're better off using a small player, or even Tesla.

But I think Tesla service is pretty bad as my friend had a small accident with her model 3 and after 5 months, the part she needs is still on order..LOL.  I know the car company doesn't translate to the solar company, but they are connected, and with Elon squeezing costs as much as possible, I don't think service is going to get better any time soon.

Public service announcement...don't get into an accident when you drive your Tesla.

Again, a bathroom or a kitchen upgrade probably would be a better roi than solar.

The ROI or solar is around like 10 plus years. If you work from home or have 2 hvac units it might be sooner. Also, look at the weather change. (Kind is gloomy and rainy. Seems like more cooler than before which may effect the panels. I hope they factor that in.)

eyephone said:
Again, a bathroom or a kitchen upgrade probably would be a better roi than solar.

The ROI or solar is around like 10 plus years. If you work from home or have 2 hvac units it might be sooner. Also, look at the weather change. (Kind is gloomy and rainy. Seems like more cooler than before which may effect the panels. I hope they factor that in.)

Depends on what you need. If you live in a newer home, you may not need a bathroom/kitchen remodel.

With gas over $4 a gallon and EV ownership on the rise, that offset of cost should be considered. Plus, you are greener and help the environment. :)

Cares said:
zubs said:

Does Tesla care about which panels and inverters you price match to?  They use Hanwha panels only which aren't very popular among smaller solar installer companies.  Most use LG or Panasonic.  Just curious what their price match terms are.

eyephone said:

The payback on a smaller system (ie. 4kw) is around 8 years and can go down to 6 years if you use an above average amount of electricity.  This is not taking into account any price increases from SCE.

I'm not sure how you're getting 10 years.

Back