Tesla Solar Panels Price Cut

nosuchreality said:
eyephone said:
Do people even consider the previous Nevada ruling? What if the energy companies lobby the Board is to change the rules in Cali.

If?

They successfully did it multiple times already.  They changed to include minimum charges.  They changed the buy back rate to be a fraction of the market rate.    They changed to shift everyone to TOU metering.  They changed new installations to include certification they do not produce excess electricity.

You all got your California Climate Credit on your gas bill correct?  LOL.

Maybe they'll bring back the TTA charges and the mandated 10% reduction...

Good post. For the common person to understand. There was a bigger subsidy and also the shift people to the time of use.

I am putting panels up for the mere fact that I am not beholdened to Edison...new Cal law allows them to cut power when there is high fire risk/danger...which could literally be every day. 

Also, electric vehicles are going to be the norm...why not get 30% rebate for it.

Irvinecommuter said:
I am putting panels up for the mere fact that I am not beholdened to Edison...new Cal law allows them to cut power when there is high fire risk/danger...which could literally be every day. 

Also, electric vehicles are going to be the norm...why not get 30% rebate for it.

So your planning to go off the grid?

Cares said:
4KW is a small system. I am doubtful you have anywhere near 100% offset with an electric car if you had a system that size. California probably averages 5 hours of sun a day throughout the year. That's only 7300 kWh (not accounting for losses) which is not that much for a house without an electric car. We barely use air condition and if you remove our 2 electric cars from the equation we're probably averaging just around 7000 kWh annually.

My average daily usage over the past few years has varied from 12 to 20 kwh.  A 4kw system would be adequate for me.  I would rather be a bit over and pay for a few kwh per month, rather than get a larger system.  It'll be a serious consideration when I replace my shingles, which won't be for a while.

eyephone said:
Irvinecommuter said:

Unless your off the grid or have the power bank. Then you are acceptable to what you mentioned.

Irvinecommuter said:

So who you going with?

I'm with you on an EV, once you drive one, it's hard to go back to a gas or even non plug-in hybrid.

irvinehomeowner said:
Irvinecommuter said:

So who you going with?

I'm with you on an EV, once you drive one, it's hard to go back to a gas or even non plug-in hybrid.

We went to Tesla because we were already at the Tesla place.  They took a lot longer than expected with the HOA and approval process with Irvine.  Set to get them on this month.  We are also getting two batteries so we will covered if there is a power issue.

I also priced it with SolarRun and the pricing is basically the same.  I heard Solarrun has better service.

eyephone said:
eyephone said:
Irvinecommuter said:

Unless your off the grid or have the power bank. Then you are acceptable to what you mentioned.

I am getting two power banks to have full backup...so hopefully off the grid.

Irvinecommuter said:
eyephone said:
eyephone said:
Irvinecommuter said:

So what?s the estimate time for you that the system will break even.

eyephone said:
Irvinecommuter said:
eyephone said:
eyephone said:
Irvinecommuter said:

That's hard to say...we don't use much electricity now because we were pretty frugal but with one EV (maybe two) and growing kids, I am thinking that it will go way up.  I am thinking that it would be like like 5 to 8 years to break even...but then I'm covered for the future.

I'm heavily weighing if I want to get a new system on my house. I will likely need a 10-12 kW system though and would like to install 1 or 2 PowerWalls. It'll definitely be an expensive system but this is the last year for 30% rebate.

I don't think Tesla can deliver before year end though.

Cares said:
I'm heavily weighing if I want to get a new system on my house. I will likely need a 10-12 kW system though and would like to install 1 or 2 PowerWalls. It'll definitely be an expensive system but this is the last year for 30% rebate.

They are supposed to be more efficient but SolarRun is super fast.  They have a powerwall equivalent.

Irvinecommuter said:
eyephone said:
Irvinecommuter said:
eyephone said:
eyephone said:
Irvinecommuter said:

That's hard to say...we don't use much electricity now because we were pretty frugal but with one EV (maybe two) and growing kids, I am thinking that it will go way up.  I am thinking that it would be like like 5 to 8 years to break even...but then I'm covered for the future.

Don?t they tell you the calculation?

Irvinecommuter said:
Cares said:

They are supposed to be more efficient but SolarRun is super fast.  They have a powerwall equivalent.

Is SolarRun's Brightbox as good as Tesla's Powerwall? It's lower capacity so is the pricing the same?

irvinehomeowner said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Cares said:

Is SolarRun's Brightbox as good as Tesla's Powerwall? It's lower capacity so is the pricing the same?

I didn't look nearly as deeply into Sunrun (my bad) as I did for Tesla...just the pricing.  I believe the total package to be pretty darn close. 

This seems like a decent breakdown.
https://www.earthsfriends.com/sunrun-vs-solarcity-vs-sungevity-vs-verengo/

Cares said:

Someone explained to me that solar will get cheaper like how flat screen TVs got cheaper.

eyephone said:
Cares said:

Someone explained to me that solar will get cheaper like how flat screen TVs got cheaper.

Probably but it will take awhile for it to get 30% cheaper.

Irvinecommuter said:
eyephone said:
Cares said:

Lower the installations costs and allow panels from China (this administration put a tarriff on China panels) Not that many people cares about buying things for cheap. If they want to lose money to grow their brand name or to get rid of inventory because they over produced. I say let them. 

The cost is reasonable if a person does a DIY. (not like I?m going to do it just saying)

eyephone said:
Irvinecommuter said:
eyephone said:
Cares said:

Lower the installations costs and allow panels from China

The cost is reasonable if a person does a DIY. (not like I?m going to do it just saying)

Panels have been coming in from China...installation costs are pretty darn low as it is. 
https://blog.pickmysolar.com/the-price-of-a-solar-panel-system-over-the-years
https://news.energysage.com/should-i-use-chinese-solar-panels-for-my-solar-installation/

Although there isn?t a universal truth when it comes to price or quality regarding solar panels, it is safe to say that Chinese solar manufacturers typically offer lower prices than other brands because of the incredibly low cost of production in China. This contrast between Chinese and specifically American solar panels has recently gotten some media attention following the bankruptcy of U.S. solar maker Suniva. After filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in early 2017, Suniva filed a petition with the United States International Trade Commission (USITC) to suggest a hefty tariff be placed on solar panel imports from China.

Moving on to the question of whether solar panels manufactured in China are of lower quality than other manufacturer origins (a concern we hear frequently from homeowners), the straightforward answer is ?no they are not lower quality?. The specific country that a solar panel is made in will have little impact on the actual quality of the product put on your roof. In the above table, two trends are evident:

The large majority of solar manufacturing occurs in Asia and the top 3 solar panel brands by market share are producing their product in China (Trina, SunPower, Yingli Solar)

Solar panels of all ranges in quality (Economy, Standard, Premium) are made in China so there is no current correlation between the level of panel quality and whether it?s produced in China or elsewhere

The data table above shows that the only reason a homeowner should use country of origin to select solar panels is an external reason unrelated to quality or price, such as a desire to buy ?Made in the USA? products or help stimulate American manufacturing jobs.

Back