Tesla Model Y

But Tesla is outselling all other EVs:
https://cleantechnica.com/2020/08/0...-selling-plugin-vehicles-in-1st-half-of-2020/

While different electric vehicles may be #1 in different markets (the Renault Zoe in France, the Audi e-tron in Norway, the VW e-Golf in Germany), globally, there is no question which electric vehicle is the most popular. According to recently compiled data from EV Volumes, the Tesla Model 3 had nearly as many sales in the first half of 2020 as the 2nd best selling, 3rd best selling, 4th best selling, 5th best selling, 6th best selling, and 7th best selling plugin vehicles combined.

Rear drive standard range Model Y now available to order.

Elon said they wouldn't release it but maybe he just said that so that people would not wait and just order the dual motor models.

It's less than $40k with Cali incentives... time to order.

I predict these will be hotcakes. :)

irvinehomeowner said:
Rear drive standard range Model Y now available to order.

Elon said they wouldn't release it but maybe he just said that so that people would not wait and just order the dual motor models.

It's less than $40k with Cali incentives... time to order.

I predict these will be hotcakes. :)
I have a 2018 Model 3 Long-Range RWD. We're ordering the Model Y SR for my wife that will also double as our family car (we have a little 6 month old).  8)

irvinehomeowner said:

I think they had to with the ID.4 and the Mach-E coming very soon.

Mach E got a pretty tepid review in the WSJ. Who would buy that over an M3? Like people that buy the Jaguar I-Pace - they do not understand how far behind the legacy OEMs are. And with the stock price Tesla can continue to stockpile the best software, silicon design and battery chemistry talent in the world.

People like morekaos who aren't familiar with the technology don't see how far ahead Tesla is.

Other vehicles makers have been trying for at least 5 years and they still aren't close... eventually I think they can catch up tech wise but then they will be behind in infrastructure and market share.

But, still way more people buying gas cars than EVs.

Once you own Tesla, you never go back.

BTW, I heard Michael Burry, the guy from Big Short who predicted housing crash last time, said Tesla stock would collapse also.

The cheapest Model Y, the Standard Range, was removed from Tesla's website. Looks like margins aren't enough which is weird because it came just after a price cut (maybe that wanted to move what was left in their last production run).

Sites report you can still order it "off menu" like Tesla used to allow for the cheapest Model 3.

For $40k, it's probably the best EV SUV you can buy.

I?m not convinced it?s the best EV SUV for $40K tbh, what about the Mach-e and the ID4 that still have the $7500 tax credit? They all offer 250 miles of range.

marmott said:
I?m not convinced it?s the best EV SUV for $40K tbh, what about the Mach-e and the ID4 that still have the $7500 tax credit? They all offer 250 miles of range.

They should both still have the $7500 fed tax credit.

But both are 1st generation. Personally, I'd avoid owning any 1st generation tech / car.

Not to mention you can get a Y more easily than a Mach-E or ID4.

There is currently a $42k Model Y available in existing inventory in LA.

Maybe in 6 months to a year, the other brands will be more competitive.

I just picked up my Model Y. I sold my 2018 Model 3 after 3 years of ownership almost to the day. What was my cost of ownership of the 3? I drove 39,800 miles using 10,003 kWh. I charged exclusively on my solar panels at $0.12 per. I came from an inefficient 13 mpg car. Driving my old car it would have used 3,062 gallons of gas.

Purchased at $52,488 out the door after $10,000 tax credit.
Gas savings assuming $4.50 per gallon. $12,575.
Sold my car for $42,000.

If you're doing the math, yes you're looking at it correctly. I profited $2,087 after driving my car for 3 years!

Congrats! Who did you sell your 3 to/what was the process like?
Did you consider waiting until Jan for the Y in case Tesla becomes eligible for the federal tax credit again?

I just sold it to private party. They came with a cashier's check and we met at the bank. I deposited the check and signed over the pink slip. He took the car and it was a done deal.

I thought about the tax credit but I rather have the car now when my 3 probably has the highest value.

Microchip shortage making it hard to buy a new car.

I just checked the MY and it's a 6 month wait if you order now. :(

Also looked at the Mustang Mach-E... 4 month wait at least if you want to pay MSRP... or if you find one locally... pay a dealer mark-up.

And this isn't just for EVs... lots of new car price gouging out there... and with such low inventory... they get away with it... iike Irvine homes. :)

Full disclosure... I recently got a MY (that's how the cool kids refer to it on the Internet).

It was a bit shocking having only a center screen and very minimalist interior but I'm all in... this just confirmed to me that Tesla knows what they are doing. The technology is awesome, the motor/battery/drive, the design and the ease of use of their Supercharger network compared to ChargePoint, ElectrifyAmerica etc just shows why they are the leader.

Others are coming... but still a bit behind.

We also own another EV and the comparison is striking.

Remember @Cares with an internal combustion engine car you've got oil changes, routine maintenance, etc to factor in. Also a $62k ICE vehicle (full load, no tax deduction) will depreciate much faster than other cars. There is the thinnest of chances to show a profit with an ICE versus the Tesla - a one off custom or high demand vehicle - sure, but an average Mercedes or Lexus? No way.

Porsche and Ferrari are circling the drain - no way they can invest enough quick enough to make a viable long term EV business. Soon all they will be able to sell is nostalgia. The review of the new Taycan in the WSJ last weekend was hilarious.

Back