Tesla Model Y

Compressed-Village said:
OCtoSV said:
so i have a very serious addition to this thread: safety systems. I suffered a very bad rear end collision last week in my Model 3, very bad, and the doctor said the Tesla safety system was the reason I walked away as opposed to leaving in an ambulance. I actually got out and ran down the side of the freeway as I wasn't sure if the M3 would explode.

Also, while my attorney will handle everything, I did note that a used 2020 Model 3 on Tesla's website in now ~$20K more than I paid ($58K vs $39K).

Damn, that's real life test for you there.

Good you are OK.

Great to hear Tesla saved your life.

Surprised you need an attorney for a motor vehicle crash. Were you injured?

What exactly about the M3 safety system was superior to other vehicles?

What I don't like about Tesla is lack of rear-cross traffic detection when backing out, inferior blind spot warning and the much discussed lack of 360 camera view.

irvinehomeowner said:

What I don't like about Tesla is lack of rear-cross traffic detection when backing out, inferior blind spot warning and the much discussed lack of 360 camera view.

Perhaps they are taking the Apple approach?? Let someone else come out with the features first and then they will master it? I don?t think I can go back to not having a 360 camera.

Tesla, not ready for prime time! :)

battery swap, if feasible on a car, will really help adaptation of EV...

https://www.gogoro.com/news/gogoro-network-battery-swapping-can-help-transform-cities/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=bb_battery_swap&gclid=CjwKCAjwxOCRBhA8EiwA0X8hi6ICratoG5MV_5xY10Y09VJkFviVzadMRW4Hbbz3MZauc-52uKd6BxoCEDcQAvD_BwE

iacrenter said:
Compressed-Village said:
OCtoSV said:
so i have a very serious addition to this thread: safety systems. I suffered a very bad rear end collision last week in my Model 3, very bad, and the doctor said the Tesla safety system was the reason I walked away as opposed to leaving in an ambulance. I actually got out and ran down the side of the freeway as I wasn't sure if the M3 would explode.

Also, while my attorney will handle everything, I did note that a used 2020 Model 3 on Tesla's website in now ~$20K more than I paid ($58K vs $39K).

I was rear ended entering the diamond lane of the busiest freeway in the Bay area. Yes, it hurt. And one of the benefits of a group of close friends that happen to be attorneys is having counsel available that I know and trust for matters such as these.

Damn, that's real life test for you there.

Good you are OK.

Great to hear Tesla saved your life.

Surprised you need an attorney for a motor vehicle crash. Were you injured?

irvinehomeowner said:

structural strength in the crumple zone when I showed the doc the pics and described the incident is what led to her comment.

So when you thought the car going to explode, is it because of the battery pacK? I think this would be the first safety feature of any EV that a sensor would trip if a collision occur at X mph and disable all of the battery  and effective shut it down to prevent any fire to occur.

My buddy in Newport told me this happened to his insurance agent down there last year (perhaps a news story is handy) - crashed into a tree and his Tesla exploded. There have been a few incidents publicized up here as well. It was my first thought once I realized I was alive - run!

OCtoSV said:
My buddy in Newport told me this happened to his insurance agent down there last year (perhaps a news story is handy) - crashed into a tree and his Tesla exploded. There have been a few incidents publicized up here as well. It was my first thought once I realized I was alive - run!

Sounds like a serious accident. Glad you made it out alive.

Staying vs running is always a dilemma for me as well. If you are involved in a major accident on the freeway, most authorities recommend you remain in the vehicle buckled in your seatbelt. The thinking is that you are more likely to be killed be a secondary crash walking around the accident. Of course, if your vehicle is on fire or might explode, you should definitely should get out.

Glad you're okay OCtoSV... replacing your MY is going to be a headache considering how far out new orders are right now.

I wonder if Tesla gives you priority if you are doing an accident replacment.

very good question. I have Lib Mut with the Better Car Replacement coverage, which "pays you for a replacement car that's one model year newer, with 15,000 fewer miles." I had a 2020 M3 SR+ with 14K miles, so I am assuming this gets me a very very low mileage 2021. Interestingly there are no used 2021s on the Tesla site, however I can order a new M3 for $48K with Aug delivery. Low mileage 2020 M3s are high 50s to high 60s. I guess go for the new and force them to pay for a Tesla rental with sticker and AP like I had until it's ready. If they cash me out then I must search the world for a 2021 - if 2020s are going for up to $68K maybe I can justify $85K for a 2021..then maybe I invest that and we try 1 car for a while..

Lib Mutual is paying me $15K more than what I paid new, and a new model is ~$10K more than I paid in 2020. Excellent customer service as well - highly recommend Lib Mut.

irvinehomeowner said:
Time to put your order in... many Tesla deliveries are 6 months to a year out.

I ordered the standard M3 the Friday just before the price rise and delivery date is August.

I'm going all in on EV now. Placed an order on Mach E Select yesterday.

Basically swapping my wife's Fit for the M3 and my Prius Prime for the Mach E.

Compressed-Village said:
So when you thought the car going to explode, is it because of the battery pacK? I think this would be the first safety feature of any EV that a sensor would trip if a collision occur at X mph and disable all of the battery  and effective shut it down to prevent any fire to occur.

You don't disable a battery, you may stop drawing current from it but it cannot discharge all its energy. If the integrity of the battery is compromised by the crash there is a risk for one cell to ignite and for the adjacent cells to start igniting as well. A standard range M3 battery has something like 3000 cells, that's why EV batteries can reignite for days until there is nothing else to burn. I don't think batteries explode though.

New firefighting devices are being design to try to combat this but it's early days:https://arstechnica.com/cars/2021/1...ivers-water-directly-to-blazing-ev-batteries/

Used Model Y's selling more than new:
https://electrek.co/2022/04/26/used-tesla-prices-out-of-control-model-y/

For example, this 2020 Model Y with over 30,000 miles on the odomoter is listed for $1,000 more than if you were to order the same configuration brand new:

The only benefit is that you can get it now versus waiting for 6-9 months for a new one.

What is most impressive is how the vehicle gain in value. Depending on when it was purchased in 2020, the vehicle is likely selling between $6,000 and $10,000 more than what it was purchased for brand new about two years ago.

We saw several other used Model Ys listed for more than an equivalent brand new Model Y, like this 2021 Model Y with 15,000 miles in Illinois listed for over $80,000:

I would actually sell my Model Y if there was another EV SUV out there that I could get at an equivalent replacement price. The only one that I like is the Rivian R1S but that won't be out in numbers for a long time.

This is just a random post to say that the thing I find most frustrating about Tesla are the exterior door handles. Even after 2 years of having a Tesla, I still haven't gotten used to it. I'm a door handle moron. I have to use one hand to push in the wide part of the handle and my other hand to grab the skinny part or the door frame. This requires 2 hands which is really frustrating when I'm holding things. I don't know if I lack the hand strength or the coordination or both. The handles are hard to press and too long to grab. They're also hard to find in the dark. Also, I'm not an engineer but I do have hands, arms, and years of experience opening doors and I believe that the handle's pivot is on the wrong side. The door would be easier to use if the handle flipped out the other direction, the same direction the door swings. Their door handles only make sense if you have a chauffeur opening the door for you and he's standing behind the door, rather than trying to get inside. Anyway, nobody else who's been in this car agrees with me. But there's got to be at least 1 person somewhere on the internet who understands my struggle!

Back